Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Saw Creed the other night. Enjoyed it - 7/10 for me.

HiMucker

Has anyone seen In the Heart of the Sea?  Was going to give it a whirl

Main Street

Phoenix  2014  http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/phoenix-2015
is yet another understated and brilliant film by  Christian Petzold and is there an more alluring yet aloof and stunning actress than Nina Hoss? She has to be the actress of the first 1/4 of the 21C. Every role she plays is totally unrecognisable from previous and acted out to perfection.
.4 of us viewed this film together and each had a different take on it.

oakleaflad

Quote from: HiMucker on January 25, 2016, 02:52:15 PM
Has anyone seen In the Heart of the Sea?  Was going to give it a whirl
I haven't but I follow a few movie critics who said to avoid it. It was supposed to be released in (I think) March 2015 but was put back because they weren't happy with the finished cut. They gave it very poor reviews.

Walter Cronc

Anyone seen Spotlight yet? Was it released in the US in 2015?

Hereiam

Haven't seen it yet but looking forward to watching it. Not a lot of talk about it on this side of the pond. Wonder how it will be received in Italy.

gallsman

Quote from: Hereiam on January 28, 2016, 02:16:46 PM
Haven't seen it yet but looking forward to watching it. Not a lot of talk about it on this side of the pond. Wonder how it will be received in Italy.

And Poyntzpass.

screenexile

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 28, 2016, 02:04:00 PM

I watched it on Screener just before Christmas. It's alright I would give it a 6/10. Quite boring to be fair there isn't a whole lot going on apart from the fact the Church are as corrupt as a Tyrone GAA dressing room!!

gallsman

Finally watched Sicario last night. Cracking, incredibly suspenseful film.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on January 28, 2016, 03:51:18 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 28, 2016, 02:04:00 PM

I watched it on Screener just before Christmas. It's alright I would give it a 6/10. Quite boring to be fair there isn't a whole lot going on apart from the fact the Church are as corrupt as a Tyrone GAA dressing room!!
A damming indictment of the Catholic Church. Have seen varying reviews with some saying it is great and others saying it is very heavy on the procedure of investigative journalism without much really happening.

Walter Cronc

Saw Spotlight at the weekend - it is primarily focused on the investigation but I thoroughly enjoyed it. 7.5/8 out of 10 for me.

Longshanks

Saw spotlight a couple of weeks ago, thought it was really well filmed and done 8.5/10 for me, thought Ruffalo was superb although the whole cast were great.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Longshanks on February 01, 2016, 11:11:33 AM
Saw spotlight a couple of weeks ago, thought it was really well filmed and done 8.5/10 for me, thought Ruffalo was superb although the whole cast were great.

Agreed - Ruffalo was excellent!

Canalman

Trollhunters on tonight on Film 4 (I think).

Well worth a watch. Norwegian film with subtitles. Plot is daft but film v good imo anyway.

The Iceman

Spectre 6/10 
The Last Witch Hunter 5/10

Still can't get a good stream on Genesis for Revenant...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight