Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Quote from: Canalman on December 06, 2015, 08:10:55 PM
Watched Glory again late last night. Some film. Scene at the end where the regiment approaches the beach very powerful.

Saw the new National Lampoons vacation movie last week. Okish. Not a patch (understandably) on the originals.

An absolutely brilliant film. Denzel was amazing even back then.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: laoislad on December 06, 2015, 07:33:09 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 06, 2015, 09:40:26 AM
Saw Creed tonight. Great show. A fresh take on the Rocky saga but some nice echoes of the old films too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv554B7YHk4
Have you seen Southpaw yet? Very good I thought.
Must give Creed a watch soon. Did it have the Rocky music? I'll be very disappointed if it doesn't.!

I don't want to spoil it for you.

nrico2006

Watched Millers Crossing at the weekend - was expecting more from it.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 07, 2015, 08:43:47 AM

It's a great film. You say this about Miller's Crossing and have The Jackal in your top films  :o Richard Gere as Declan Mulqueen  :o :o :o

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gallsman on December 07, 2015, 12:52:14 PM

It's a great film. You say this about Miller's Crossing and have The Jackal in your top films  :o Richard Gere as Declan Mulqueen  :o :o :o

The original or the one with Gere? The original film with James Fox is a classic in fairness.... not in my top 20 but still a decent film and very much of it's day
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dinny Breen

Quote from: JimStynes on December 06, 2015, 08:30:10 PM
Watched Glory again late last night. Some film. Scene at the end where the regiment approaches the beach very powerful.

Saw the new National Lampoons vacation movie last week. Okish. Not a patch (understandably) on the originals.

+1

He won an oscar for that role. It started my life long love affair with Denzel.
#newbridgeornowhere

nrico2006

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 07, 2015, 01:02:46 PM
Quote from: gallsman on December 07, 2015, 12:52:14 PM

The original or the one with Gere? The original film with James Fox is a classic in fairness.... not in my top 20 but still a decent film and very much of it's day

I loved the day of the jackal, but I was on about the Gere one and I never let his accent get in the way of me enjoying that film.  Anyway, I could do a different top 5 today, could probably narrow it to a top 50.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

Don't get me wrong, I love it too. But it is f**king dreadful. "That's right, they drink Guinness in Ireland, don't they?"

JimStynes

Quote from: Dinny Breen on December 07, 2015, 01:03:28 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on December 06, 2015, 08:30:10 PM

+1

He won an oscar for that role. It started my life long love affair with Denzel.

The scene where he is getting whipped and the tear starts dripping down his face is class. Going to have to watch it again.

Newbridge Exile

Watched 71 on Film 4 last night, excellent film  ,

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on December 07, 2015, 10:50:07 PM

Ah nah NE didn't enjoy 71 at all.

nrico2006

Quote from: Walter Cronc on December 08, 2015, 09:35:49 AM
Quote from: Newbridge Exile on December 07, 2015, 10:50:07 PM

Ah nah NE didn't enjoy 71 at all.

Didn't think it was any good either.

Canalman

Happened on Buffalo Soldiers last night on one of those movie channels.

Set in a US army base in West Germany during the late cold war. Have to say it was excellent.

nrico2006

Quote from: Canalman on December 09, 2015, 01:14:42 PM
Happened on Buffalo Soldiers last night on one of those movie channels.

Set in a US army base in West Germany during the late cold war. Have to say it was excellent.

Brilliant show.

gallsman

Not that I know about or condone any such activity, but rumour has it that proper copies of highly anticpated movies that are expected to feature prominently during awards season such as The Revenant, The Hateful 8, Sicario etc are all availble online.