Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clov

Seen Colin Farrell's latest film 'the lobster' at the weekend. The second half drags a bit (first half was much better) but it had some very funny moments. One to see if you like dark humour.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

The Iceman

Strangerland - avoid it - wish I had turned it off. 2/10
Mr Holmes - could have been better but watchable 5/10
Where Hope Grows - feel good family suitable movie about a young man with down syndrome who helps an alcoholic get back on track - 5/10
Kung Fu Killer - Donnie Yen action movie, fantastic fight scenes 7/10
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

gallsman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 20, 2015, 01:20:55 PM
Decent run at the cinema at the minute and coming up with Sicario, The Martian, Bond, Star Wars etc. Will reserve judgement on Truth and Steve Jobs.

Christmas Day. DiCaprio and Tom Hardy in the revenant. That's the one.

clarshack

Quote from: Soup an Samajiz on October 20, 2015, 02:32:57 PM
that Star Wars trailer though.. very excited have to admit

Looks great! Know a load of people that have bought their tickets for the midnight screening already.

JimStynes

Quote from: charlieTully on October 20, 2015, 12:07:57 AM
Beasts of no nation on Netflix now. Serious film. f**king disturbing.

A cracking show!! Everyone has to watch this!

Soup an Samajiz

Quote from: gallsman on October 20, 2015, 08:59:05 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 20, 2015, 01:20:55 PM
Decent run at the cinema at the minute and coming up with Sicario, The Martian, Bond, Star Wars etc. Will reserve judgement on Truth and Steve Jobs.

Christmas Day. DiCaprio and Tom Hardy in the revenant. That's the one.

Absolutely... think it's going to be the pick of the bunch
Think like a wise person but communicate in the language of the people

JoG2

Quote from: clarshack on October 20, 2015, 09:07:05 PM

Looks great! Know a load of people that have bought their tickets for the midnight screening already.

has the rating been announced yet? Holding off mentioning it to my youngest in case its a '12' !

Canalman

Walked out of the 1st of the new Stars Wars films in Parnell St cinema after about an hour it was so bad. Wasn't the first one to do so either.

Critics were raving about it at the time.

Haven't and won't be watching another one. 

Can say the same about the Batman movies.

charlieTully

Quote from: screenexile on October 07, 2015, 02:21:50 PM
Anybody know of decent movies on Netflix??

I know the usual Good Will Hunting, Snatch, etc. but are there any that weren't that big at the time that might be good? I watched A Bronx Tale the other night it was brilliant!!

Into the wild http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758758/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

layer cake http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375912/?ref_=nv_sr_1  (worth it for sienna miller).

filth http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1450321/?ref_=nv_sr_1 (probably an acquired taste but I am a big Irvine Welsh fan)

The Iceman

Finally got around to seeing Southpaw - great show.
Was there some CGI in there for the fight scenes? Not sure if you's all have daughters but definitely scenes in the film that pull on the heart strings..... 7.5/10
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Walter Cronc

Watched Black Mass the other night - 7/10.

Glad I didn't pay to see it at the cinema but decent nonetheless.

general_lee

Watched The Intern. Kind of a feel-goody almost chick flicky type film. Taking that into consideration it wasn't bad at all.

JoG2

Quote from: JoG2 on October 21, 2015, 09:33:22 AM
Quote from: clarshack on October 20, 2015, 09:07:05 PM

has the rating been announced yet? Holding off mentioning it to my youngest in case its a '12' !

according to the bbfc Star Wars 7 is a PG. Happy with that

heganboy

having good craic watching old movies with the kids, ghostbusters, gremlins, jumanji and a few others.

Saw the martian in 3D there- first time I really appreciated the 3d movie, it was a great show I thought

looking forward to star wars. Disagree strongly with the intern there- thought it was awful. Isn't that the great thing about personal taste!
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

nrico2006

Watched A Most Violent Year last night, very good show.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'