Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CD

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 17, 2015, 09:22:47 AM
Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on July 16, 2015, 04:07:21 PM
Quote from: CD on July 10, 2015, 10:38:02 PM
Quote from: CD on July 10, 2015, 05:12:14 PM
Watched 'The Longest Ride' (5.5/10) last night with Clint's lad in it. Quite enjoyed it. Nothing too taxing, fairly run of the mill but inoffensive and a nice couple of hours spent. Tonight, either Interstellar, American Sniper or Fury. Hopi ng for a 7 or 8 out of 10 from one of these.
American Sniper - 8/10. Brilliant Film. Mr Eastwood does it again.

Yank propaganda at it's worst. 2.5/10 for Bradley Coopers good acting.

+1
Didnt enjoy it at all.
It's OK to kill kids if those kids are putting the lives of american soldiers on foreign soil at risk is the message I took from it.

I didn't get that at all. At its root it was an anti-war film. It was about the fruitlessness and pointlessness of what these soldiers were doing and how they were brainwashed into 'protecting their families' and 'serving their country'. Chris Kyle was clearly traumatised and indifferent to his post-tour surroundings and his fellow soldiers constantly questioned the morality of what they were doing. The 'gung-ho' American hero type soldiers were portrayed as tossers. I thought Eastwood did a good job of never condoning Kyle's record as a soldier and Cooper really surprised me with his ability to play an ambiguous character.
The U.S. Military were made to look bad throughout the film and Eastwood challenged their ambivalent attitude towards PTS and the wide ranging social and pychological impact of conflict on their soldiers which has been a hot political potato in the states for 20 years.
Or maybe it was just a film where people killed the baddies?? Hooray!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

The Iceman

Quote from: CD on July 17, 2015, 11:51:02 AM
Watched 'The Longest Ride' (5.5/10) last night with Clint's lad in it. Quite enjoyed it. Nothing too taxing, fairly run of the mill but inoffensive and a nice couple of hours spent. Tonight, either Interstellar, American Sniper or Fury. Hopi ng for a 7 or 8 out of 10 from one of these.

+1
Didnt enjoy it at all.
It's OK to kill kids if those kids are putting the lives of american soldiers on foreign soil at risk is the message I took from it.

I didn't get that at all. At its root it was an anti-war film. It was about the fruitlessness and pointlessness of what these soldiers were doing and how they were brainwashed into 'protecting their families' and 'serving their country'. Chris Kyle was clearly traumatised and indifferent to his post-tour surroundings and his fellow soldiers constantly questioned the morality of what they were doing. The 'gung-ho' American hero type soldiers were portrayed as t**sers. I thought Eastwood did a good job of never condoning Kyle's record as a soldier and Cooper really surprised me with his ability to play an ambiguous character.
The U.S. Military were made to look bad throughout the film and Eastwood challenged their ambivalent attitude towards PTS and the wide ranging social and pychological impact of conflict on their soldiers which has been a hot political potato in the states for 20 years.
I agree! Read the book and you'll hear from Kyle - he was only their to protect his military brothers. He couldn't care less about the foreign policy and didn't agree with the "why" that America would have us all believe. His "why" was not letting another American soldier die..... I believe from talking to a few ex-military that it's a common sentiment amoung the longer serving lads...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: The Iceman on July 17, 2015, 05:44:35 PM

+1
Didnt enjoy it at all.

I didn't get that at all. At its root it was an anti-war film. It was about the fruitlessness and pointlessness of what these soldiers were doing and how they were brainwashed into 'protecting their families' and 'serving their country'. Chris Kyle was clearly traumatised and indifferent to his post-tour surroundings and his fellow soldiers constantly questioned the morality of what they were doing. The 'gung-ho' American hero type soldiers were portrayed as t**sers. I thought Eastwood did a good job of never condoning Kyle's record as a soldier and Cooper really surprised me with his ability to play an ambiguous character.
I agree! Read the book and you'll hear from Kyle - he was only their to protect his military brothers. He couldn't care less about the foreign policy and didn't agree with the "why" that America would have us all believe. His "why" was not letting another American soldier die..... I believe from talking to a few ex-military that it's a common sentiment amoung the longer serving lads...

I think I'll retain my sympathy for the people they murdered. Clint making any films from their point of view any time soon?

CD

Quote from: Arthur_Friend on July 17, 2015, 07:18:19 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on July 17, 2015, 05:44:35 PM

+1
Didnt enjoy it at all.

I think I'll retain my sympathy for the people they murdered. Clint making any films from their point of view any time soon?
He did exactly that with 'Flags of our Fathers' and 'Letters from Iwo Jima'. Two very good films I'd certainly recommend.

AFS

American Sniper lost me when it turned into Die Hard for about 10 minutes with the bit on the roof when they got cut off and surrounded.

Enjoyed Jurassic World and Mad Max recently.

Saw Ant Man today. Not fussed on comic book stuff, but it had enough laughs to keep me going for a couple of hours.

nrico2006

American Sniper was ok.  Watched Black Hat recently and it was one of the worst films I have seen.  Chappie was a 5 out of 10.  Enjoyed Jurassic World, would give it a 7 out of 10.  Going to finally watch Foxcatcher and Nightcrawler this week.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

supersarsfields

Watched Interstellar and Walk among the tombstones. Both a bit Meh.

Have Kill the messenger lined up for tonight.

The Iceman

Really enjoyed Jurassic World. Plenty of action, laughs and a good ending. Special effects were flawless.

Watched Focus and turned it off after about 40 mins. Didn't see where it was headed...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

nrico2006

Focus was poor, Will Smith films were always very good but recently they have went downhill.

Watched Nightcrawler last night, very good show with Gyllenhaal giving some performance, creepy boy.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Soup an Samajiz

Really looking forward to Southpaw, Gyllenhaal brilliant in just about everything he does
Think like a wise person but communicate in the language of the people

laoislad

Quote from: Soup an Samajiz on July 21, 2015, 08:45:54 AM
Really looking forward to Southpaw, Gyllenhaal brilliant in just about everything he does
The trailers looks class. He's in some shape for it.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 21, 2015, 08:17:13 AM
Focus was poor, Will Smith films were always very good but recently they have went downhill.

Watched Nightcrawler last night, very good show with Gyllenhaal giving some performance, creepy boy.
Reminds me of you in your younger days when you sported a pair of curtains. That and the creepiness.

nrico2006

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 21, 2015, 01:48:05 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on July 21, 2015, 08:17:13 AM

Reminds me of you in your younger days when you sported a pair of curtains. That and the creepiness.

Like a young Ryan Giggs.

Soup an Samajiz

The Revenant - just saw the trailer lastnight... looks like that first Oscar for diCaprio (again)..
Think like a wise person but communicate in the language of the people

CD

Quote from: Hereiam on July 11, 2015, 02:30:56 PM
Watched Fury last nite. 6/10 for me. Thought it was a pointless and unrealistic. The last battle scene was just stupid
4/10 for Fury. Finally watched it last night. Is it just me or does Brad Pitt look like Chris Waddle? scenes and conversations that weren't year appropriate, all been done before only slightly better. Pitt a bit of a one trick pony and the other cast members weren't likeable in any way shape or form. Interstellar tonight