Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

Quote from: screenexile on May 06, 2015, 04:04:52 PM
Is it just me or has there been very little to be excited about the last while??
Films are watering down. There hasnt been anything spectacular in a while. Even the Oscar nominations have been weak. 12 years a slave was one of the best I've seen in a while, the Hobit series has been good for effects but nothing spectacular. Action movies have been regurgitated rubbish. Books being made in to films can't capture the magic of the books.... you're definitely right - nothing to get excited about....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

CD

finally got around to watching 'Good Vibrations' last night. Really enjoyable and an excellent portrayal (though romanticised) of Terri Hooley. 6/10. There was a fair bit left unsaid!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

nrico2006

I have been feeling the same recently, very little that I have wanted to see and I have actually watched very few films the past 3 or 4 month and usually I would watch a lot.  I did watch Interstellar though and thought it was very, very good.  It was just missing something for me though.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

DownFanatic

Quite liked Foxcatcher.
Thought Steve Carell played it very well.

Canalman

Quote from: The Iceman on May 06, 2015, 04:48:18 PM
Quote from: screenexile on May 06, 2015, 04:04:52 PM
Is it just me or has there been very little to be excited about the last while??
Films are watering down. There hasnt been anything spectacular in a while. Even the Oscar nominations have been weak. 12 years a slave was one of the best I've seen in a while, the Hobit series has been good for effects but nothing spectacular. Action movies have been regurgitated rubbish. Books being made in to films can't capture the magic of the books.... you're definitely right - nothing to get excited about....

Alot a result of movie piracy I read recently. The wham bang comic hero movies have to and usually make their money in the first week or two. The "sleeper" movie which hopes to rely on word of mouth to make money struggles.

According to the article I read it is now very hard to get a movie financed due to illegal downloading etc.

Eamonnca1

Far From the Madding Crowd.

If you like period dramas then I highly recommend it. A great story, well told. Good acting, directing and cinematography.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCm1XNVD_0c

CD

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 13, 2015, 09:34:40 PM
Far From the Madding Crowd.

If you like period dramas then I highly recommend it. A great story, well told. Good acting, directing and cinematography.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCm1XNVD_0c
One of my favourite books so looking forward to it!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Eamonnca1

Quote from: CD on May 13, 2015, 09:46:32 PM
One of my favourite books so looking forward to it!

I haven't read the book yet. Sometimes I read classic novels before watching the film and find the film disappointing because it has to leave out so much.

NAG1

Any one ever gone to the Odyssey VIP screens? Is it worth it for a one off thing?

what is the difference etc

cheers

Tony Baloney

Quote from: NAG1 on June 10, 2015, 01:43:16 PM
Any one ever gone to the Odyssey VIP screens? Is it worth it for a one off thing?

cheers
In my opinion not really. You get big armchair style recliners and free refills and from recollection that's about it.

Tony Baloney

Went to see Blade Runner: The Final Cut the other night. Class on the big screen but I think we have had enough cuts of this by now!

Any reviews out of Entourage?

NAG1

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 10, 2015, 01:47:15 PM

cheers
In my opinion not really. You get big armchair style recliners and free refills and from recollection that's about it.

Thanks T

screenexile

Watched Spy last night and have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

Just a fun movie and not too taxing on the brain and plenty of laugh out loud moments. I'd give it a solid 7.5/10.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: NAG1 on June 10, 2015, 01:56:30 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 10, 2015, 01:47:15 PM

cheers
Just checked it there out of interest and don't seem to get refills. One free small drink and popcorn and complimentary free drinks for 13 or 15 quid a head.

Thanks T

foxcommander

Pitch Perfect 2 - wasn't as bad as I feared...
Some funny moments but too much Rebel Wilson.

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie