Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 09, 2014, 10:58:04 PM
Quote from: gallsman on November 09, 2014, 10:51:08 PM
Massively disappointed with Interstellar. 5/10
The missus said it felt like it was on for 10 hours.

Was very long indeed. Plenty could have been cut. Classic case of grasp exceeding reach I think.

Main Street

Danish tv movies The Keeper of Lost Causes  based on the book by Jussi Olsen, adapted down to 90 minutes.
I think they did an okay job,  a decent  film noir atmosphere which allowed for stripped bare minimalism, an art in itself
Though I don't know how someone who hadn't read the book would follow the action or appreciate the whole drama.
One change I took exception to was Assad being deliberately dumbed down and Carl, the good white danish cop, being made smarter than him.

Brick Tamlin

Long Walk to Freedom, film based on Mandela's Biography.
Very interested in the man and his history but just didn't think the film was great at all. Idris Elba was able and did fine job portraying him, accent, mannerisms etc.
Just think they left large gaps and didn't delve into some of the juicier happenings enough. Not enough about his time and suffering on Robben Island and not enough told about how his relationship with Winnie disintegrated. Only paid lip service to major occurrences that occurred at the time.
I know its a totally different film but enjoyed Invictus a lot more than this.

6.5 / 10

Walter Cronc

Anyone seen Nightcrawler? Jake Gyllenhaal's new movie. Getting good ratings!

Billys Boots

Quote from: Main Street on November 10, 2014, 10:17:20 PM
Danish tv movies The Keeper of Lost Causes  based on the book by Jussi Olsen, adapted down to 90 minutes.
I think they did an okay job,  a decent  film noir atmosphere which allowed for stripped bare minimalism, an art in itself
Though I don't know how someone who hadn't read the book would follow the action or appreciate the whole drama.
One change I took exception to was Assad being deliberately dumbed down and Carl, the good white danish cop, being made smarter than him.

Stick to the books - they're good craic.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Main Street

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 12, 2014, 11:01:02 AM

Thank you slasher, but I'll make my own qualitative choices  :)
Have you watched this film?
I've done all the Olsen (audio) books up to the Marco Effect. This film is very decent and I was also curious to observe how this story could be compressed,  which they managed almost down to the subliminal level, to get across the particular moods and atmosphere in this story,  which a book could wax lyrical about for pages.
My rule of thumb is read the book first before the film, unless you can't be bothered to read the book.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Main Street on November 12, 2014, 12:05:25 PM

I've done all the Olsen (audio) books up to the Marco Effect. This film is very decent and I was also curious to observe how this story could be compressed,  which they managed almost down to the subliminal level, to get across the particular moods and atmosphere in this story,  which a book could wax lyrical about for pages.
My rule of thumb is read the book first before the film, unless you can't be bothered to read the book.

I think I've watched the movie and enjoyed it - I'm confused because they change the names of the books depending on where they sell them - I saw the movie of the book I read as Mercy (I think). 

I've also read The Marco Effect (also known as Buried) recently, and the standard is maintained - though the Dept Q trio don't feature as heavily as I'd like.  Good yarn, if I'm allowed to make a recommendation.   :P

Main Street

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 12, 2014, 12:10:09 PM

I think I've watched the movie and enjoyed it - I'm confused because they change the names of the books depending on where they sell them - I saw the movie of the book I read as Mercy (I think). 

I've also read The Marco Effect (also known as Buried) recently, and the standard is maintained - though the Dept Q trio don't feature as heavily as I'd like.  Good yarn, if I'm allowed to make a recommendation.   :P
If the film was in Danish language, adapted from a book you have read and liked,  was about a woman who went missing on a ferry and ended up caged in a pressure chamber, then you watched The Keeper of Lost Causes :)

Billys Boots

Quote from: Main Street on November 12, 2014, 12:30:23 PM

If the film was in Danish language, adapted from a book you have read and liked,  was about a woman who went missing on a ferry and ended up caged in a pressure chamber, then you watched The Keeper of Lost Causes :)

If the film was in Danish language - it was.

adapted from a book you have read and liked - it was. 

was about a woman who went missing on a ferry - it was.

and ended up caged in a pressure chamber - it was.

The book was still called Mercy though.   :P

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 12, 2014, 01:19:21 PM

I have read said book. Twas Mercy in the UK market and Keeper... in US.

Main Street

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 12, 2014, 01:40:46 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on November 12, 2014, 01:19:21 PM

I have read said book. Twas Mercy in the UK market and Keeper... in US.
That may be, but this is the movie channel. Was the Danish film of the book called Mercy as well, in the UK?
Did Billy not download a copy of the (soft) subtitled movie from a torrent or file sharing site like I did and  was it titled Mercy?
Anyway that was not the issue of clarification at all, it was Billy not being very clear and definitive, he was waffling like a drunken sailor when he wrote "I think I've watched the movie and enjoyed it - I'm confused...."

AFS

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 12, 2014, 10:19:10 AM

Nightcrawler is very good.

Interstellar is not.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 12, 2014, 10:19:10 AM

Saw it yesterday.  Fairly good. Nothing more.  Wait for the DVD would be my advice.

ONeill

Interstellar - a nearly movie. Some nice moments and there was a great film somewhere trying to get out but by the end it was just a bit of a mess. It was like every space movie rolled into one.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

HiMucker

Nelson Mandela long walk to freedom.  Thought it would he a hard watch but actually quite enjoyed it.  Idris Elba was brilliant in it