Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: The Iceman on September 30, 2014, 09:03:49 PM
Finally got around to watching Locke.
It reminded me of an audio book - you really didn't need to watch in fairness. Painted a good picture for one man driving in a car talking on his phone but not great either: 6/10

Captain America II : Definitely enjoyable/watchable - not Marvels best but I didn't expect it to be. 6/10
Come on you must know a bit more about concrete than before you watched it!  :D

HiMucker

Thought captain America 2 was a lot better than the first one.

Seen Oldboy with josh brolin.  Not as good as the original, but didn't understand why it was completely panned by the critics.  Thought it was decent.  I'd imagine the twist would be good if you didn't see the original. 6/10

300 rise of an empire.  Pure muck.  Weird sex scene all the same where you see Eva greens bangers bouncing about. 3/10

Monuments Men.  Decent show, easy watching 6.5/10

The road.  Don't know how do describe this.  Not enjoyable, but absolutely compelling viewing.  The tension is unreal.  8/10

The counsellor.  Good show but wouldn't be for everyone 7/10

Epic.  Watched this with the kids.  Think I enjoyed it more than them 7/10

nrico2006

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 30, 2014, 09:30:24 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on September 30, 2014, 09:03:49 PM
Finally got around to watching Locke.
It reminded me of an audio book - you really didn't need to watch in fairness. Painted a good picture for one man driving in a car talking on his phone but not great either: 6/10

Captain America II : Definitely enjoyable/watchable - not Marvels best but I didn't expect it to be. 6/10
Come on you must know a bit more about concrete than before you watched it!  :D

Saw The Counsellor a few months ago, thought it was pretty poor.

Thought Epic was good as well, and Captain America 2 was good compared to the first one.

Saw the Two Faces Of January too, was pretty good.  Turned Grudge Match off after twenty minutes. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

haranguerer

Quote from: NAG1 on July 29, 2014, 12:13:59 PM
Quote from: whiskeysteve on July 29, 2014, 11:57:16 AM
Quote from: Canalman on July 29, 2014, 11:25:41 AM

Watched Green Street again at the weekend. Can't for the life of me understand how it got so much bad press. Excellent film imo. Reckon some just couldn't get around the fact Elijah Wood was in it.

for very good reason... plays a Harvard student who rather logically becomes a "come an hav a go if yer think yer hard enough" die hard hammers hooligan... message of the movie is that he comes away a better person for loyally backing up small minded c*ntish behaviour outside pubs/down alleyways. The whole premise of extolling the honour, loyalty and virtue of gutter Cockney-geezer soccer hooliganism is laughable. Would recommend The Firm, the Gary Oldman film as a solid alternative for the scummy reality and hopelessness of the hooliganism era.

+1

Was not believable on any level including Woods' role.

His bro in law (the lad out of Hustle) is impossible to like

Although Claire Forlani (his wife in that) is incredible

nrico2006

Quote from: haranguerer on October 01, 2014, 09:28:52 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on July 29, 2014, 12:13:59 PM
Quote from: whiskeysteve on July 29, 2014, 11:57:16 AM
Quote from: Canalman on July 29, 2014, 11:25:41 AM

Watched Green Street again at the weekend. Can't for the life of me understand how it got so much bad press. Excellent film imo. Reckon some just couldn't get around the fact Elijah Wood was in it.

for very good reason... plays a Harvard student who rather logically becomes a "come an hav a go if yer think yer hard enough" die hard hammers hooligan... message of the movie is that he comes away a better person for loyally backing up small minded c*ntish behaviour outside pubs/down alleyways. The whole premise of extolling the honour, loyalty and virtue of gutter Cockney-geezer soccer hooliganism is laughable. Would recommend The Firm, the Gary Oldman film as a solid alternative for the scummy reality and hopelessness of the hooliganism era.

+1

Was not believable on any level including Woods' role.

His bro in law (the lad out of Hustle) is impossible to like

Although Claire Forlani (his wife in that) is incredible

I liked Green Street.  It was a lot more believable than Captain America, The Hobbit or many of the other films ranted and raved about on here.  Jeesus.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Ethan Tremblay

Watched Green Street not to long ago also, Eijah Woods character was merely a point of entry for the viewer, nothing more! Plenty of quotes from it all the same!

Also watched Snatch too, in my opinion the ultimate brit cockney gangster film, good story, funny and gypsy fighting! The other half couldn't see the appeal though! Even Vinnie Jones impressed!
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

mrdeeds

Never mind Green Street. The ultimate hooligan movie is ID. Stars Billy Mitchell.

screenexile

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on October 01, 2014, 10:40:46 AM
Watched Green Street not to long ago also, Eijah Woods character was merely a point of entry for the viewer, nothing more! Plenty of quotes from it all the same!

Also watched Snatch too, in my opinion the ultimate brit cockney gangster film, good story, funny and gypsy fighting! The other half couldn't see the appeal though! Even Vinnie Jones impressed!

I don't care what some people say about Snatch it is an absolute classic film. The one liners are great, the storyline is great, the characters are great. It's never going to win too many awards but it's just an all round entertaining film!

nrico2006

Quote from: screenexile on October 01, 2014, 12:18:17 PM

I don't care what some people say about Snatch it is an absolute classic film. The one liners are great, the storyline is great, the characters are great. It's never going to win too many awards but it's just an all round entertaining film!

Snatch is great, also loved Lock Stock too.

johnneycool

Yeah,
love Snatch, would watch it every christmas once the kids are in bed'

'Take that, ya cúnt ya'

Class look from Pitt after he accidentally knocks the big lad out;

haranguerer

Quote from: mrdeeds on October 01, 2014, 11:41:11 AM
Never mind Green Street. The ultimate hooligan movie is ID. Stars Billy Mitchell.

This is true - great show. I'll have to watch it again though, was sure Robert Carlyle had starred but wiki told me otherwise

blewuporstuffed

yeah, agree about snatch. Great entertainment, some great dialogue and a reasonably original storyline for that type of film
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

mackers

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 01, 2014, 01:08:50 PM

yeah, agree about snatch. Great entertainment, some great dialogue and a reasonably original storyline for that type of film
+1. Brilliant.  Probably my favourite film.  Brad Pitt is outstanding in it.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Tony Baloney

johnneycool

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 01, 2014, 01:40:22 PM
Youse need to wise up.

Just because there's not títs in it, not even a wee ewe (pronounced 'yoo' in the glens) for you to ogle,