Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

Non-Stop with Liam Neeson was watchable enough....but the ending lets it down a bit.
7/10.

Puckoon

Quote from: screenexile on July 08, 2014, 12:03:58 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on July 08, 2014, 11:54:26 AM
The Grand Budapest Hotel

9/10. Brilliant

Been toying with the idea of watching this and I've heard Fiennes is brilliant in it but I'm just not a Wes Anderson fan I think.

Royal Tenenbaums
Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Rushmore

All films I didn't really care for/get!

I loved Fantastic Mr. Fox though.

I'd be right there Screen, although the Grand Budapest Hotel was fantastic, who knew Ralph Fiennes could be so funny? Just watched the Royal Tenenbaums and the Life Aquatic again this weekend with a renewed opinion. GBH is much more enjoyable though

armaghniac

I thought the recent Planet of the Apes was watchable enough.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trileacman

The Grand Budapest, if you accept the type of comedy it's going to be, is absolutely excellent. I tried the royal tenebaums recently again to see how they were but not a patch on TGBH. Decent all the same.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

screenexile

Quote from: trileacman on July 29, 2014, 12:15:44 AM
The Grand Budapest, if you accept the type of comedy it's going to be, is absolutely excellent. I tried the royal tenebaums recently again to see how they were but not a patch on TGBH. Decent all the same.

I watched it and agree TGBH was very very good and well worth watching!

Canalman

Dog Soldiers on the telly tonight. Well worth a watch for those who haven't seen it before. Stumbled upon it one night while channel hopping and would really recommend it.

Watched Green Street again at the weekend. Can't for the life of me understand how it got so much bad press. Excellent film imo. Reckon some just couldn't get around the fact Elijah Wood was in it.

nrico2006

2 very good shows Canalman.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Canalman on July 29, 2014, 11:25:41 AM

Watched Green Street again at the weekend. Can't for the life of me understand how it got so much bad press. Excellent film imo. Reckon some just couldn't get around the fact Elijah Wood was in it.

for very good reason... plays a Harvard student who rather logically becomes a "come an hav a go if yer think yer hard enough" die hard hammers hooligan... message of the movie is that he comes away a better person for loyally backing up small minded c*ntish behaviour outside pubs/down alleyways. The whole premise of extolling the honour, loyalty and virtue of gutter Cockney-geezer soccer hooliganism is laughable. Would recommend The Firm, the Gary Oldman film as a solid alternative for the scummy reality and hopelessness of the hooliganism era.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

NAG1

Quote from: whiskeysteve on July 29, 2014, 11:57:16 AM
Quote from: Canalman on July 29, 2014, 11:25:41 AM

for very good reason... plays a Harvard student who rather logically becomes a "come an hav a go if yer think yer hard enough" die hard hammers hooligan... message of the movie is that he comes away a better person for loyally backing up small minded c*ntish behaviour outside pubs/down alleyways. The whole premise of extolling the honour, loyalty and virtue of gutter Cockney-geezer soccer hooliganism is laughable. Would recommend The Firm, the Gary Oldman film as a solid alternative for the scummy reality and hopelessness of the hooliganism era.

+1

Was not believable on any level including Woods' role.

Brick Tamlin

Guardians of The Galaxy.
Was sceptical beforehand, thought Marvel were just taking the p1ss with so many movies in the one 'universe', but as it turns out I found this very entertaining and enjoyable.
Plenty of slapstick, plenty of gags, plenty of action and a storyline that introduces us to a whole new section of the Marvel universe.
Decent cast too with plenty of familiar faces and each contributing in their own way. Chris Pratt cementing himself as a leading man now in Holywood id wager. 

Basically it was a fun ride and id like to see more. Definitely the new Star Wars for a whole younger generation.

8.5/10

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on August 07, 2014, 11:39:52 AM
Guardians of The Galaxy.
Was sceptical beforehand, thought Marvel were just taking the p1ss with so many movies in the one 'universe', but as it turns out I found this very entertaining and enjoyable.
Plenty of slapstick, plenty of gags, plenty of action and a storyline that introduces us to a whole new section of the Marvel universe.
Decent cast too with plenty of familiar faces and each contributing in their own way. Chris Pratt cementing himself as a leading man now in Holywood id wager. 

Basically it was a fun ride and id like to see more. Definitely the new Star Wars for a whole younger generation.

8.5/10
Would agree but I'll knock off half a point as I thought some of it dragged a wee bit. Definitely entertaining and the lead actor was good - no doubt another franchise in the making. When Drax appeared my wee lad said (very loudly) that he was a wrestler much to the amusement of people around!

The Iceman

Watched Noah there last night - thought it was a decent effort. 8/10
Robocop - not bad at all - stayed true to the original story with some nice effects. 7/10
The Butler - epic show - really really enjoyed it - 9/10
Joe (I know it's a Nicholas Cage movie I should have known) 4/10 pure dung

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

NAG1

Anyone got any good download sites (obv not paying) that would convert out easy to MP4

Tony Baloney

Quote from: NAG1 on August 08, 2014, 02:29:08 PM
Anyone got any good download sites (obv not paying) that would convert out easy to MP4
pirateshore.nl usually has an mp4 or xvid option for movies.

NAG1

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 08, 2014, 03:05:01 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on August 08, 2014, 02:29:08 PM
pirateshore.nl usually has an mp4 or xvid option for movies.

Cheers TB