Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

Quote from: Man Marker on February 18, 2014, 05:52:28 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 18, 2014, 11:50:20 AM
I watched Prisoners there the other night and thought it was very very good.

Have to agree, very very good.

Thats a film that has stayed with me for a while now. I didn't see the whole "waging a war on god" angle at all. At first I thought I would be that dad, willing to do whatever it took to find my kids but then it makes you think  - who do you become as a result and is there any going back? head wrecking stuff lol

Have Escape Plan (Arnie and Stallone) to watch tonight. I know its going to be rough but I can't help myself ha!
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

trileacman

Watched "City of God" there. Really disappointed, heavily recommended by this board who usually are close to the mark on most shows.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Up The Middle

Quote from: The Iceman on February 18, 2014, 08:17:40 PM
Quote from: Man Marker on February 18, 2014, 05:52:28 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 18, 2014, 11:50:20 AM
I watched Prisoners there the other night and thought it was very very good.

Have to agree, very very good.

Thats a film that has stayed with me for a while now. I didn't see the whole "waging a war on god" angle at all. At first I thought I would be that dad, willing to do whatever it took to find my kids but then it makes you think  - who do you become as a result and is there any going back? head wrecking stuff lol

Have Escape Plan (Arnie and Stallone) to watch tonight. I know its going to be rough but I can't help myself ha!

Ah Jesus i watched it the other night, same as you i knew what i was getting into but couldnt help it.

Watched Grudge Match with Satallone and De Niro have to say i enjoyed it, found it quite funny in parts - it aint winning any oscars but watchable all the same.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

The Iceman

Hi the Escape Plan wasn't that bad. Mindless 80's action movie wrapped up in new shiny paper from 2014.... Poor old Arnie should have did more drugs with Stallone. He really can't keep up with Sly at this point.... He looked tired and his poor acting is no longer covered up by the action...

I want to see Grudge Match definitely.

Stallone has been very smart with his new films - people want to see them. Other action stars like JCVD and Seagal are still struggling.
Stalone is a smart business man there's no doubt about it.

Something about old 80s and 90s action films. No real story, great characters and lots of violence...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Up The Middle

Quote from: The Iceman on February 19, 2014, 10:15:07 PM
Hi the Escape Plan wasn't that bad. Mindless 80's action movie wrapped up in new shiny paper from 2014.... Poor old Arnie should have did more drugs with Stallone. He really can't keep up with Sly at this point.... He looked tired and his poor acting is no longer covered up by the action...

I want to see Grudge Match definitely.

Stallone has been very smart with his new films - people want to see them. Other action stars like JCVD and Seagal are still struggling.
Stalone is a smart business man there's no doubt about it.

Something about old 80s and 90s action films. No real story, great characters and lots of violence...

Have you seen The Losers, its exactly what your looking for, plenty of action i thought it was great brought me back to the likes off, Double Impact, Commando,Predator etc
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Main Street

Quote from: trileacman on February 18, 2014, 09:09:13 PM
Watched "City of God" there. Really disappointed, heavily recommended by this board who usually are close to the mark on most shows.
The boards recommendation still stands up to scrutiny, your disappointment is your own doing.

The Iceman

Quote from: Up The Middle on February 21, 2014, 01:38:01 PM

Have you seen The Losers, its exactly what your looking for, plenty of action i thought it was great brought me back to the likes off, Double Impact, Commando,Predator etc

just added on netflix cheers
seen the last stand there a couple of nights ago - very watchable
also watched runner runner - 6/10

trileacman

Quote from: Main Street on February 21, 2014, 02:44:18 PM
Quote from: trileacman on February 18, 2014, 09:09:13 PM
The boards recommendation still stands up to scrutiny, your disappointment is your own doing.
Yeah part of the problem, you're best just to watch a film, I built it up in my head as a gritty, stylish crime thriller and the salsa film-making and light-heartedness really threw me. A good film in it's own right but it wasn't what I was expecting.

Runner Runner is shocking, one of the most boring films I've seen in years.

screenexile

Here's a question for you all . . . Wes Anderson films!!

I don't really get them. I've watched Rushmore, Life Aquatic, Royal Tenenbaums and Fantastic Mr. Fox and Fantastic Mr. Fox is the only one I can say I really enjoyed.

This is not to say I hated the others I'm just not really sure what was going on in them!!

Is there anyone who can shed any light on these movies for me or can give me a better understanding of them?

I see the Grand Budapest Hotel is out shortly and it looks a lot like Tenenbaums again... a big cast with not a lot else going on with it!

trileacman

Quote from: screenexile on March 03, 2014, 03:24:22 PM
Here's a question for you all . . . Wes Anderson films!!

I don't really get them. I've watched Rushmore, Life Aquatic, Royal Tenenbaums and Fantastic Mr. Fox and Fantastic Mr. Fox is the only one I can say I really enjoyed.

This is not to say I hated the others I'm just not really sure what was going on in them!!

Is there anyone who can shed any light on these movies for me or can give me a better understanding of them?

I see the Grand Budapest Hotel is out shortly and it looks a lot like Tenenbaums again... a big cast with not a lot else going on with it!
There's parts I like in the royal tenebaums and the life aquatic, if not enough to pull a whole film out of it.

Milltown Row2

Watched Argo last night, avoided all the talk surounding the film, I'd an idea of the film but was impressed with the story, though it never panned out as the film suggested it was still very good and well acted. Was never a big fan of Ben Affleck but he did rightly with this.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Walter Cronc

Saw 'The lives of others' recently. Excellent film about cold war East Berlin.

ONeill

Blue Jasmine - compelling viewing. Some ropey actors around the edges but 90 mins of good storytelling.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

muppet

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 04, 2014, 10:17:29 AM
Saw 'The lives of others' recently. Excellent film about cold war East Berlin.

Great movie.
MWWSI 2017

tbrick18

Quote from: ONeill on March 04, 2014, 11:09:52 PM
Blue Jasmine - compelling viewing. Some ropey actors around the edges but 90 mins of good storytelling.

I saw a bit of this the other night when in "flick mode". Just saw a joke on it about a child molester and that was enough for me....very bad taste, so didnt watch any more of it.