Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Went to the Grand Opera house last night, an old friend of mine had his play in the Baby Grand upstairs in main building.

It's called the Man in the moon, brilliant local play about life in West Belfast (though it would relate to most places), dealing with a lot of current issues. Very well acted by Ciaran Nolan who'd acted in the Pulling moves show and Man about a dog. Last showing tonight but I think this will get another run. 10/10
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

spuds

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on October 05, 2013, 11:59:40 AM
Quote from: screenexile on October 04, 2013, 10:31:16 AM
Listened to a bit of a review of Filth last night and now I can't wait to see it. The guy was raving about McAvoy's performance!! Apparently it's not one to take the Missus too though!

Ah shite - we're going tonight! Will let you know what she thinks of it. Maybe I'll just go on my own! Mind you, just got some expenses from County Board, so she's getting taken out beforehand, so 1/2 ain't bad, if the film ain't her cup of tea!
A poor man's Trainspotting. Few laughs in it but too much laid on McEvoy's character to carry the movie.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Asal Mor

Quote from: spuds on October 05, 2013, 11:37:07 PM
Listened to a bit of a review of Filth last night and now I can't wait to see it. The guy was raving about McAvoy's performance!! Apparently it's not one to take the Missus too though!

Ah shite - we're going tonight! Will let you know what she thinks of it. Maybe I'll just go on my own! Mind you, just got some expenses from County Board, so she's getting taken out beforehand, so 1/2 ain't bad, if the film ain't her cup of tea!
A poor man's Trainspotting. Few laughs in it but too much laid on McEvoy's character to carry the movie.
Acid House is great crack. Another one based on the awesome writing of Irvine Welsh.

Tony Baloney

Watched This Is The End last night. Pish.

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: spuds on October 05, 2013, 11:37:07 PM

Agree - would be hard to replicate Trainspotting! But, went to see Filth last night - was going to say I "enjoyed" it, but that's not quite the right word! Well worth seeing though & McEyoy is excellent in it.

Canalman

Would give Filth a 7/10.

Had read the book so half expected what to see. Very good imo but not probably to everyone's taste. McAvoy very good in it.

Welsh's books make better films or so it would seem so far.

ballinaman

This looks like to could be decent.

The Raid 2: Berandal (NSFW)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro2THner19g

screenexile

Watched Captain Phillips the other night. It was probably a 6/10 Hanks very good in it as you'd expect but lot's of filler in places with Pirates shouting at eachother in African which got a bit annoying after a while. I've seen worse though!

CD

Quote from: screenexile on November 06, 2013, 03:59:47 PM
Watched Captain Phillips the other night. It was probably a 6/10 Hanks very good in it as you'd expect but lot's of filler in places with Pirates shouting at eachother in African which got a bit annoying after a while. I've seen worse though!
Went to that myself a couple of weeks back and really enjoyed it. Definitely a show to be seen on the big screen. Didn't expect to be so engaged for over two hours and my heavily pregnant Mrs sat all the way through it which is saying something! Tom Hanks was excellent as usual! I'd strongly recommend it.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Minder

Quote from: CD on November 06, 2013, 05:50:37 PM
Went to that myself a couple of weeks back and really enjoyed it. Definitely a show to be seen on the big screen. Didn't expect to be so engaged for over two hours and my heavily pregnant Mrs sat all the way through it which is saying something! Tom Hanks was excellent as usual! I'd strongly recommend it.

Saw it last night and I would agree with that, very good.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

CiKe

Quote from: Minder on November 06, 2013, 06:12:47 PM
Quote from: CD on November 06, 2013, 05:50:37 PM

Saw it last night and I would agree with that, very good.

I almost fell asleep in the cinema though not sure if was down to the film or fact i was knackered. Saw a Danish film Hijacking on same theme about two weeks before hand and preferred it. Perhaps had something to do with me thinking that Captain Phillips was far from brilliant.

Capt Pat

Quote from: ballinaman on November 06, 2013, 03:46:31 PM
This looks like to could be decent.

The Raid 2: Berandal (NSFW)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro2THner19g

If it is half as good as the original it will be worth watching.

Canalman

Dog Soldiers on  TV tonight or tomorrow. Cracking horror film.

whiskeysteve

Watched Gravity in 3D last night and have to say it is absolutely awesome viewing at times. plot and characters are stripped down and its only about 90mins but for sheer visual impact its worth watching in the cinema.

Was a bit put off going in by Danny Ocean George Clooney and Miss Congeniality Sandra Bullock as NASA astronauts but really not an issue at all, its the spectacle of the events on screen that is to the fore.

the fact that its not really sci fi as its based on current tech/operations etc adds to the realism and therefore tension of it. Overall, it must be the most detailed, if not best depiction ever made of what its like to be in space (as in 2001 Kubrickesque level groundbreaking), fascinating for that aspect alone.

Really glad i seen it and would happily go again.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Norf Tyrone

Went to the cinema last night, with 'Captain Phillips' on the agenda, but I let the wife choose, so the bland, boring and predictable 'Philomena' was the film of choice.

I was wrong. A fantastically funny, emotional, and heart breaking film. Definitely one for the ladies to go and see, and to the men you don't have to go kicking and screaming. It's actually very good. 8/10.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone