Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: HiMucker on August 09, 2013, 08:53:15 AM
Seen Olympus has fallen, dodgy enough and very porous plot at times.  The craic about deactivating the nukes, and the yanks overlooking the "oh no he is going to deactivate them on the ground and turn the states into a nuclear wasteland" was preposterous.  It felt a wee bit makey uppy at times.

After watching the series recently I watched the film Hannibal.  Julianne Moore is terrible in it, I suppose hard act to follow Jodie Foster, but still a good film. Not a patch on the book, I think I might even give it another read.

Also Sky + a film a while a go but the woman never let me watch it, so I got a chance the other night to give it a go.  Remember my da always saying it was a great show.  Serpico.  Thought it was really good and Pacino was brilliant in it

Thought Hannibal was pretty poor when I watched it years ago but loved Red Dragon when it came out the following year and have watched it a lot since.  Maybe will give Hannibal another shot after watching the tv show too.  Actually bought Serpico 3 or 4 years ago on DVD as it was only £3 in Tescos but have never got around to watching it.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Tony Baloney

Went to see Monsters University - very good but not as good as the original.

ziggysego

Saw Red 2 at the start of the week. Excellent film and even better than the first. John Malovich was brilliant in it, as pr usual.
Testing Accessibility

Milltown Row2

Quote from: HiMucker on August 09, 2013, 08:53:15 AM
Seen Olympus has fallen, dodgy enough and very porous plot at times.  The craic about deactivating the nukes, and the yanks overlooking the "oh no he is going to deactivate them on the ground and turn the states into a nuclear wasteland" was preposterous.  It felt a wee bit makey uppy at times.

After watching the series recently I watched the film Hannibal.  Julianne Moore is terrible in it, I suppose hard act to follow Jodie Foster, but still a good film. Not a patch on the book, I think I might even give it another read.

Also Sky + a film a while a go but the woman never let me watch it, so I got a chance the other night to give it a go.  Remember my da always saying it was a great show.  Serpico.   Thought it was really good and Pacino was brilliant in it

Top film, liked that you will also like Cruising, same time but great show all the same, just finished watching one flew over, never ages brilliant show
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Watched Killing them Softly with Brad Pitt last night, woeful.

It's attempt to be edgy and cool yet with a hard edge completely failed.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: NAG1 on August 20, 2013, 02:23:08 PM

Watched it the other night as well, poor stuff, i expected it to be quite good, but as you say, completely failed.
It tried to play the story along with this political backdrop which seemed to be of no relevance at all other that to make you think it was trying to say something worthwhile, which i dont think it was
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Celt_Man

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on August 20, 2013, 02:28:38 PM

Watched it the other night as well, poor stuff, i expected it to be quite good, but as you say, completely failed.
It tried to play the story along with this political backdrop which seemed to be of no relevance at all other that to make you think it was trying to say something worthwhile, which i dont think it was

It was horrendous
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

NAG1

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on August 20, 2013, 02:28:38 PM

Yeah it tried to use Obama in the background to aid the story just was so misplaced at times it sounded and felt so forced.

what was the message they were trying to get across, America is on its knees so junkies need to rip off card games? No logic

gallsman

Agreed, I though Killing Them Softly was shite.

Watched an Irish/English film about an IRA informant with Clive Owen and Aidan Gillen called Shadow Dancer. Bit cheesy for anyone from the north because of the accents but I thought it was excellent.

nrico2006

Saw Dark Skies last week, very good show in the same vein as Signs.  Also watched Olympus Has Fallen and it wasn't bad. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

southdown

Any reports on 2 Guns with Denzel?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: gallsman on August 20, 2013, 04:04:44 PM

Watched an Irish/English film about an IRA informant with Clive Owen and Aidan Gillen called Shadow Dancer. Bit cheesy for anyone from the north because of the accents but I thought it was excellent.
Good call on Shadow Dancer. Must download seek that out in Xtravision as it gpt pretty good reviews on release and I forgot all about it.

Capt Pat

Quote from: southdown on August 20, 2013, 04:21:34 PM
Any reports on 2 Guns with Denzel?

It is pretty good. Well worth watching.

trileacman

f**king shite is right, big fall from grace from the first show "the assassination of Jesse James".
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

gallsman

Quote from: trileacman on August 21, 2013, 01:13:53 PM

f**king shite is right, big fall from grace from the first show "the assassination of Jesse James".

To be honest, I thought that was shite as well. Never understood the acclaim, although Casey Affleck was good in it.