Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Watched Silver Linings Playbook last night. Liked it a lot and Jennifer Lawrence is very easy on the eye- 8.5/10

Main Street

No Soloing

The Pianist is on tonight as well - ITV3 10pm

ballinaman

I'd say its been mentioned here before but just watch "Untouchable" there, French movie from a few years ago. Class movie.

Main Street

You mean  'The Intouchables'?

That paragliding scene had my butterflies in a frenzy.

ballinaman

Quote from: Main Street on February 22, 2013, 11:39:15 PM
You mean  'The Intouchables'?

That paragliding scene had my butterflies in a frenzy.
Aye, cracking film.

ONeill

Argo was very watchable throughout but I thought the final third was disappointing. Predictable and contrived even without knowing the real life stuff. If it wins best film then it was an average year.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

AFS

You'd need to be a miserable cnut to not get some enjoyment from Wreck It Ralph. It's no Toy Story, but it's good fun all the same.

The Master, like There Will Be Blood, won't be for everyone. It's pretty much a character study movie, so there'll be the inevitable complaints about 'nothing happening', 'crap ending', etc - all of which sort of miss the point. Don't think it's quite up there with TWBB or Magnolia, but it's still well worth the seeing. Joaquin Phoenix should be picking up an Oscar for his efforts, but unfortunately it looks like Day-Lewis has things sewn up.

Probably the last person in the country to see Django Unchained. Enjoyed bits of it, but on the whole it just wasn't all that great. It did look and sound fantastic, but too often you are just left feeling that the whole thing is just a vehicle for a few signature set play scenes. If Tarantino ever developed a script that was worthy of the rest of the package he could really make something special. It's a shame that he seems happy enough with this sort of superficial waffle.

Norf Tyrone

Thought Wreck it Ralph was possibly as good as Toy Story.

I loved it anyway!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Minder

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on February 23, 2013, 03:50:58 AM
Thought Wreck it Ralph was possibly as good as Toy Story.

I loved it anyway!

My wee girl said it was the best film she has ever seen, high praise indeed.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ONeill

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ONeill

trileacman

Watched Django the other night, at times Tarantino flirts with brilliance, in particular his panache for "a spectacle" such as the night raid scene. However by the time Christopher Waltz character has his "handshake" the movie enters an absolute freefall. My friend remarked "a film really goes to shit when you kill the director with half an hour to go." His choice of soundtrack, use of modern language in a 1850's setting and complete absurdity of the special effects once again underlines the fact that Tarantino is as deranged as he is talented. The sad part is beneath the exterior of overkill and over-exuberance, a brilliant film and ultimately a potentially brilliant director exists.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

Quote from: ONeill on February 23, 2013, 12:10:40 AM
Argo was very watchable throughout but I thought the final third was disappointing. Predictable and contrived even without knowing the real life stuff. If it wins best film then it was an average year.

Agreed, heavily formulaic stuff, looks terrible when compared to the directors previous outings which were brilliant. Don't understand the award fervor but I heard a critic remark that the Academy love an old American reminisce story where they fight insurmountable odds to save lives and "do good", deflecting attention from their recent atrocities.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014