Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

Quote from: hardstation on January 30, 2013, 08:41:58 AM
Quote from: theticklemister on January 30, 2013, 12:26:28 AM
Watched braveheart for the first time tonight on film 4. I know what all the fuss is about now. Good show.
WTF?
+1. WTF!! :o
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Orior

I watched Office Space on Monday evening.

One of my favourite films.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnneycool on January 30, 2013, 08:49:46 AM
Quote from: omagh_gael on January 29, 2013, 10:07:50 AM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on January 28, 2013, 04:02:19 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on January 28, 2013, 03:50:58 PM
Have to pick a few chick flicks for the good lady to watch over the next few nights. It was man shows at the weekend. Any chick flick movies around at the minute that won't have me reaching for the cyanide capsules half way through?

The Help was bearable.

Hit the bullseye there Norf. The good lady thought that was the best film she has watched in a long time, plus it was far from the worst film I've had to sit through.

I wonder what she'll think of Debbie Does Dallas tonight...

I watched Pitch Perfect the other week, wasn't the worst, but allegedly 'glee' esque!! I've never seen glee so don't know.
Don't feel the need to explain yourself. It doesn't affect any opinion we already have of you  :D

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Up The Middle on January 30, 2013, 09:25:21 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on January 29, 2013, 06:56:51 PM
Quote from: Up The Middle on January 29, 2013, 04:43:59 PM
A few i have watched recently

Looper 7/10

Zero Dark Thirty 9.5/10

Seven Psychopaths 9/10

The impossible 5/10

Trouble with the curve 6/10

End of Watch 8/10
:o don't think anyone reads your posts ;)

Whys that then?

#newbridgeornowhere

ziggysego

Went to the Lincoln in the cinema last night. Purposely ignored any reviews about it. Didn't even know until the credits rolled, that Spielberg was the director!

Anyhoo, after 150 minutes of watching the film, I can honestly say it's one of my top films. Daniel Day-Lewis was brilliant as per usual and Tommy Lee Jones should get his second Oscar, come the awards season.

I know a lot of people found it a little too wordy and I can appreciate it mightn't be a film for most people, but I loved the dialogue. I was glued to my seat for the whole thing.
Testing Accessibility

Orior

Yes, that is quite hypnotic Dinny
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

theticklemister

Quote from: hardstation on January 30, 2013, 08:41:58 AM
Quote from: theticklemister on January 30, 2013, 12:26:28 AM
Watched braveheart for the first time tonight on film 4. I know what all the fuss is about now. Good show.
WTF?

Je hardstation; ye reckon I didnt see that before!!!

tbrick18

Watched Zero Dark Thirty last night....it was ok, but not as good as some had made it out to be I thought.
I think it would have made a better documentary than a movie. Still I'd give it a solid 6.5/10.

theticklemister

Where can I STREAM movies online?????

maggie

Seen Les Mis and despite not knowing the storyline beforehand i enjoyed it. Went  to see Flight tonite. Thought it was a bit crap. Also seen Wanderlust recently and it is defo up there on the worst film list. Two hours of my life i will never get back.....

trileacman

Quote from: ziggysego on January 30, 2013, 03:40:13 PM
Went to the Lincoln in the cinema last night. Purposely ignored any reviews about it. Didn't even know until the credits rolled, that Spielberg was the director!

Anyhoo, after 150 minutes of watching the film, I can honestly say it's one of my top films. Daniel Day-Lewis was brilliant as per usual and Tommy Lee Jones should get his second Oscar, come the awards season.

I know a lot of people found it a little too wordy and I can appreciate it mightn't be a film for most people, but I loved the dialogue. I was glued to my seat for the whole thing.

Powerful actors in it I will accept but Tommy Lee Jones does nothing exceptional worthy of an oscar (unlike Day Lewis). David Strathairn is easily the best supporting actor whilst Hal Holbrook, Jared Harris and James Spader are equally impressive as Tommy Lee Jones.

Joesph Gordon Levitt exceeds all my expectations by being utterly lost and inferior in this sea of talented actors and actresses, what Hollywood sees in this mobile piece of wood I'll never know, hes a shocking in this despite having nearly no screen time to irk me enough to warrant such comments.

The first hour is fine but then you begin to realise its just the same shite rehashed every 30 mins.

"Oh we will never get this bill passed!!" - "The war, the war!" - "Lincoln tells a story while everyone within 3 miles listens" - "An impassioned speech about abolishing slavery which leaves all screen actors speechless". then return to the start. Same shit different 1860's backdrop (Army hospital, White House, House of Representatives".
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

Seen 7 psychopaths tonight, had heard poor reviews but was pleasantly surprised. Rockwell once again demonstrates why he is one of the top 5 actors in Hollywood, the supporting cast is decent, with the exception of Farrell who just doesn't cut the mustard, albeit he exists as the central, "normal" figurehead around which the madness is contrasted.

I don't like Tarantino or his work but I would admit this film borrows heavily from his lineage, from the grotesque violence, black comedy and fractured storylines/sub stories. However this time I was impressed and enjoyed several of the key pieces and thought it was tied in quite well at the end. A average opening 40 is compensated in the middle and towards the end.

By no means a masterpiece but all the while impressive and somewhat enjoyable. (Almost) avoids the pitfalls of making a film about making a film (the central character is a screenwriter). If you enjoyed the more abstract parts of In Bruges or The Guard then you'll enjoy this but it is not as traditional a black comedy as either of these.

A solid 8.5/10 for me but it will not appeal to everyone's nature.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

mouview

Quote from: trileacman on February 04, 2013, 12:36:16 AM

Powerful actors in it I will accept but Tommy Lee Jones does nothing exceptional worthy of an oscar (unlike Day Lewis). David Strathairn is easily the best supporting actor whilst Hal Holbrook, Jared Harris and James Spader are equally impressive as Tommy Lee Jones.

When Strathairn is in a film he usually is the best thing in it.

charlieTully

Quote from: maggie on February 03, 2013, 11:51:57 PM
Seen Les Mis and despite not knowing the storyline beforehand i enjoyed it. Went  to see Flight tonite. Thought it was a bit crap. Also seen Wanderlust recently and it is defo up there on the worst film list. Two hours of my life i will never get back.....

was quite looking forward to flight. wanderlust terrible, agreed worst film list. watched django unchained last week, was a bit disapointed, nothing tarantino does is ever going to match pulp fiction. he peaked too early.

playwiththewind1st

When Strathairn is in a film he usually is the best thing in it.
[/quote]

Agree with you thoroughly. Good Night & Good Luck being an obvious example.

Went to see Lincoln last night. Thought the House of Representatives stuff went on far too long & that the film lost it's way a bit.