Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leenie

i did think django was a great film .... and a wonderful support cast.. but did anyone else think jamie fox was a bit of a let down when it came to how fantastic the other actors were?.... and how in places his accent goes from southern western to ghetto?...

good to see the return of don johnston too!
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Main Street

I watched  Searching for Sugar Man,  one of this year's oscar nominated documentaries, about a down and out  talented songwriter/musician called Rodriguez from Detroit in 1970, who made a few records then disappeared. Unknown to himself, he became thee most popular musician in pre and post apartheid SA. He became the bard for social and political change, for those 'whites' who wanted to end Apartheid.  It's hard to credit that this story is what it is. The bare facts by themselves have the makings of an incredible story. But what lifts this story to something more, is the understated dignity and love of a father and his children.
It's directed by a young Swede.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Main Street on January 27, 2013, 10:05:09 PM
I watched  Searching for Sugar Man,  one of this year's oscar nominated documentaries, about a down and out  talented songwriter/musician called Rodriguez from Detroit in 1970, who made a few records then disappeared. Unknown to himself, he became thee most popular musician in pre and post apartheid SA. He became the bard for social and political change, for those 'whites' who wanted to end Apartheid.  It's hard to credit that this story is what it is. The bare facts by themselves have the makings of an incredible story. But what lifts this story to something more, is the understated dignity and love of a father and his children.
It's directed by a young Swede.
Will look out for it in Xtravision.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on January 28, 2013, 12:04:21 AM
For some reason, I never had you down as someone who goes to Xtravision.

Who the fcuk goes to Xtravision tbf?
I probably owe them for a fiver from years ago. I am surprised they are still open what with hoors downloading films before they have even left the cinema. Will be dead within 5 years I reckon.

Canalman

Saw a German film over the weekend  White Ribbon. Set in a small village the year before WW1. Strange film with no explanation as to why/how/what happened in the village during the year. Some unsettling moments in it.
Anyone else seen it who can shed some light on the film.

Main Street

Quote from: Canalman on January 28, 2013, 09:28:39 AM
Saw a German film over the weekend  White Ribbon. Set in a small village the year before WW1. Strange film with no explanation as to why/how/what happened in the village during the year. Some unsettling moments in it.
It's the type of film where you make of it what you can. For instance, the white ribbon itself was something the strict pastor imposed upon his children to wear on their clothes, when they had done something wrong. What bell does that ring?
It's not necessary to have explanations why those random acts of violence happened, the camera just observes what happens. Apart from being crafted to almost perfection, the film's genius is that it doesn't moralise to the viewer, you're left to your own devices to interpret the events in the story.

Hardy

I watched that recently (on a recommendation from here, I think) and I thought it was excellent. It was very dark and seemed to be some sort of an exploration of violence and evil. It seemed to be suggesting that violence is endemic in humanity and will be acted out unless it's curbed, especially in a society that doesn't seem to have much humanity in it anyway, with severe religion and hard toil being the lot of the people. I suppose it makes sense, in that context, that it's set in Germany between the two world wars.

But that could all be nonsense and a complete misunderstanding. Maybe it didn't mean anything. As somebody nearly said, talking about films is like dancing about architecture.

Edit - I've just seen Main Street's post and I think his last paragraph is what I wanted to say.

Canalman

Quote from: Main Street on January 28, 2013, 10:09:09 AM
It's the type of film where you make of it what you can. For instance, the white ribbon itself was something the strict pastor imposed upon his children to wear on their clothes, when they had done something wrong. What bell does that ring?
It's not necessary to have explanations why those random acts of violence happened, the camera just observes what happens. Apart from being crafted to almost perfection, the film's genius is that it doesn't moralise to the viewer, you're left to your own devices to interpret the events in the story.

Thanks. Was sort of thinking that myself. Heavy in symbolism and foreboding. All about authority figures and how it reflects on the village and the children.

Interesting film all the same and glad I watched it.

NAG1

Watched Unknown with Liam Neeson last night - instantly forgettable

nrico2006

Quote from: NAG1 on January 28, 2013, 10:35:18 AM

Terrible film.  Watched the new Total Recall at the weekend, nice to look at but pretty average.  Watched Looper, very good show with a great performance by the wee lad in it, scarily good actually.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

johnneycool

Quote from: leenie on January 24, 2013, 11:41:59 PM

i did think django was a great film .... and a wonderful support cast.. but did anyone else think jamie fox was a bit of a let down when it came to how fantastic the other actors were?.... and how in places his accent goes from southern western to ghetto?...

good to see the return of don johnston too!

finally got to watch Django in its entirety last night, thought it was on the whole very good with as some already said, dialogey bits at Candyland dragged on a bit, with the Django's escape from the mining co workers, who I think were meant to be Australian, (Tarrantino is a god awful actor, stay behind the lens please!!) very far fetched and rushed before the finale at the big house. Laughed at the time he shot DeCaprio's sister from the top of the stairs and she flew straight back through the doorway.

I wasn't sure about Foxes's accent either as it may have been intentional as the music score varied from western to modern gangsta rap as well!!

I liked Samuel L Jackson as the old 'uncle tom' character though.

Main Street

I'm going through a documentary phase, going through a bunch that I have stored.
Last night was the
The Quinns' of Versailles,
an entertaining and insightful documentary into the rise and fall of Ireland's richest family.
The documentary starts about 2007 when they are the peak of their bubble and follows events to the after effects of the 2008 crash, when the banks turned to vultures. You see public 'charity' events like when they write a cheque for the local GAA club.
Back to the script, a couple of connected plots are added in for contrast purposes, the fortunes of a close friend from the Queen's home town and the Filipino nanny.
I'd rate it highly recommended http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2125666/
My only gripe is that it's about 15 or 20 minutes too long.

STREET FIGHTER

Is this a pun for the actual storyline of the film............

Agree it wasnt great.

NAG1

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on January 28, 2013, 01:38:17 PM

Is this a pun for the actual storyline of the film............

Agree it wasnt great.

You picked up on that Street Fighter - you win Monday's prize!

canice lynch

been laying off work for a few weeks so got to watch a few films -

end of watch - 7/10 - good performance from Gyllenhaal but the hand held camera shots started to annoy me after first hour
skyfall - 5/10 - usually enjoy the Bond films but this was poor. not enough action and dragged on a bit
silver lining - 7/10 - not your usual romcom but cooper was very good in that role and kept you interested to the end
the impossible - 8/10 - real tear jerker from start to finish. amazing to think what those people went through..
Ted - 6.5/10 - thought this was actually ok. few laughs in it. should have got someone else for voice over. if your a fan of family guy you'll find it off putting listening to mc farlane as someone else..

still have lincoln,django and argo downloaded so have a few to keep me going..