Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 18, 2013, 10:46:08 PM
Quote from: The Worker on January 18, 2013, 10:43:34 PM
Anyone seen fligh yet? Heard good reports.
Denzel is on The Graham Norton Show.

You have a while thing for him.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

tbrick18

Quote from: The Iceman on January 18, 2013, 03:37:10 PM
Watched The Raid (Redemption) last night. Some cracking fight scenes, brutal at times. Very worth a watch for any martial arts/action fans.

I cant get a decent copy of this, only crappy dubbed versions which I refuse to watch. Dont suppose you have a link for a decent subtitled version?

tbrick18

I watched 7 Psychopaths at the weekend...while not as good as I was expecting, I did enjoy it.
Christopher Walken is class and Farrell puts in a decent shift too but I think Sam Rockwell stole the show.

supersarsfields

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 19, 2013, 08:05:37 PM
Watched Life of Pi earlier. Excellent show, 9/10.

Flight lined up for later.

Watched Life of Pi at the Cinema over the weekend. Only in 2D and really wish I tried to catch it in 3D. Some of the scenes were spectacular. Had two kids with me and got mixed response from them, I think the younger got a couple of frights with the tiger scenes.

Also watched Ted over the weekend. Thought it was okish, few cheap laughs without hitting any real explosive hilarity, exactly what i was expecting.

Orior

Had the misfortune of (having to) watching two 'girlie' films at the weekend. Both complete tripe, but women seem to enjoy.

1) Because I Said So, with Diane Keaton. Awful tripe. Included a scene where a daughter tried to explain to her mother what an orgasm felt like.
2) Its Complicated, with Meryl Streep. Complete tripe.

From a television perspective, worst weekend ever.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

NAG1

Quote from: Orior on January 21, 2013, 12:54:30 PM
Had the misfortune of (having to) watching two 'girlie' films at the weekend. Both complete tripe, but women seem to enjoy.

1) Because I Said So, with Diane Keaton. Awful tripe. Included a scene where a daughter tried to explain to her mother what an orgasm felt like.

You must have done something seriously wrong to be made sit through both of those films  ;)

nrico2006

Watched Trainspotting, decent enough but there wasn't much of a story there.   
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

nifan

Quote from: Orior on January 21, 2013, 12:54:30 PM

I was made sit through that first one too - awful is not the word. It defied all logic.
I was working on the laptop but the crapness still managed to seep through to me

Tony Baloney

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 21, 2013, 10:03:19 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 18, 2013, 10:46:08 PM
Quote from: The Worker on January 18, 2013, 10:43:34 PM
Anyone seen fligh yet? Heard good reports.
Denzel is on The Graham Norton Show.

You have a while thing for him.
He was saying to Graham Norton that he was glad his stalker had stopped following him, but apparently Ryan Gosling is getting it tight these days.

I liked Flight - had no idea what it was about other than snippets from The Graham Norton Show. A solid 8/10.

Started watching Lincoln last night and didn't realise it would be so based on the legalities of the emancipation proclamation. I sort of assumed there would be a lot of battlefield scenes. At half-time the report is very good and Daniel Day Lewis and supporting cast are excellent.

AFS

Thought Silver Linings Playbook was OK. Worth watching for Jennifer Lawrence if for nothing else. Probably indicative of how poor the last year has been that a nothing movie like this hoovers up the Oscar nominations. Probably also indicative of what a load of shite the Oscars are.

Canalman

Saw Django Unchained last night. As with all QT film it had its flaws ( too talky at times, too long, plot sagging etc etc.) QT (as always) had a great cast in it.
Enjoyed it even though I don't like QT as a rule (must be the only person on the planet to think Pulp Fiction is massively overrated).
Good film all the same. 1st 60 minutes or so especially.  7/10.

nrico2006

Quote from: Canalman on January 23, 2013, 09:24:54 AM
Saw Django Unchained last night. As with all QT film it had its flaws ( too talky at times, too long, plot sagging etc etc.) QT (as always) had a great cast in it.
Enjoyed it even though I don't like QT as a rule (must be the only person on the planet to think Pulp Fiction is massively overrated).
Good film all the same. 1st 60 minutes or so especially.  7/10.

Always thought the same about Pulp Fiction, nearly as over-rated as Anchorman or Apocalypse Now.

front of the mountain

Watched Lawless other night on DVD, thought it was great show about bootlegging in prohibition era. Tom Hardy one of best actors around at minute!!

blanketattack

I thought Django Unchained was very good. From watching the first hour or so I thought it'd be one of the all-time great movies, but didn't turn out that way. Still a very enjoyable few hours. Looking at IMDB it must hold the record for anachronisms in a movie!
I'm glad I watched it in the cinema rather than on my laptop. The cinematography of the mountain scenery was incredible. I couldn't tell if one scene with the ice-covered mountains glistening was fake or not though.
The next film I plan to see is Lincoln, essentially the sequel to Django Unchained!

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: AFS on January 23, 2013, 12:02:58 AM
Thought Silver Linings Playbook was OK. Worth watching for Jennifer Lawrence if for nothing else. Probably indicative of how poor the last year has been that a nothing movie like this hoovers up the Oscar nominations. Probably also indicative of what a load of shite the Oscars are.
I could not disagree more. Completely ott negative critique. It was one of the best movies I've seen in quite a while. The performances of cooper, Lawrence, deniro and coopers mum were outstanding. I found the story compelling and also well paced. It was heart warming. It was re released in the states and distributed to wider audience based on word of mouth. How can you say "probably also indicative of what a load of shite the oscars are" ? It is totally deserving of all its award IMO. But the funny thing I agree in part about the oscars as how they can ignore Ben afleck and Leo this yr is a joke and last yr how did that hanks movie get nominated...
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"