Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: Hardy on January 16, 2013, 11:33:18 AM
I didn't know what to make of Django Unchained. It was an entertaining yarn, but utter shite in many ways. Tarantino is somewhat deranged, as far as I can see, and this film looks as if it was made by somebody in the throes of some sort of multiple personality disorder.

He couldn't seem to make up his mind whether he wanted it to be How the West Was Won, Kill Bill, The Good The Bad And The Ugly, Blazing Saddles or Machete. We know he's a sick puppy when it comes to the blood and gore, but some of the other stuff was ridiculous.

The comedy scene, out of nowhere and the only one in the film, with the lads arguing over their hoods, was just completely out of place. You can have comedy in any film. It just doesn't work when it's one Mel Brooks type scene in a film that hardly cracks a smile anywhere else.

The speeding up of some scenes, with Django zipping about like Charlie Chaplin in the scene at the slave wagon on the way to the mine, the mincing gay cowboy, who might have made sense if he was played for comedy, instead of  played like Danny La Rue, but without the laughs, the bodies being whipped away when hit by a revolver bullet, martial arts movie style, as if tied to a giant invisible spring – all to a 1930s Western soundtrack - completely incongruous.

Then there was the inability to decipher more than 30% of what Samuel Jackson was muttering, cackling and slurring, with Foxx only hitting about 40% on that score. Add in the ludicrous miscasting of Di Caprio, with an acting performance to match, and you'd have to imagine if it was directed by anyone else, it wouldn't have got such an enthusiastic reception.

Maybe it's genius and I just don't get it, but I think it's more likely the unedited outpourings a self-indulgent adolescent who never grew up, now out of control, with the power to do whatever he fancies, whether it makes sense or not.

But, in a way, I enjoyed it – in the way I enjoyed The Lone Ranger when I was ten.

I give you Dusk Til Dawn, enough said  :D

ballinaman

watched it once and really enjoyed it but watched it back again a 2nd time and I couldn't agree with you more hardy, spot on.

Shamrock Shore

Call me Niave Steve but how can some of ye watch current cinema releases at home?

Torrents?
Dodgy DVD bought in markets?

Want to see Django Unchained but as this would not be the Mrs' cup of tea I would have to go on my own to the cinema and I hate that.

ballinaman

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on January 16, 2013, 12:16:02 PM
Call me Niave Steve but how can some of ye watch current cinema releases at home?

Torrents?
Dodgy DVD bought in markets?

Want to see Django Unchained but as this would not be the Mrs' cup of tea I would have to go on my own to the cinema and I hate that.
http://kat.ph/search/django%20unchain
On torrents, 2nd one down on that list is perfect.

Main Street

I watched the last Batman film the other night, The Dark Knight Rises. I thought it was a candidate for total nonsense. It wasn't even a kids film because of the crudeness. It wasn't an adult film because of the utter nonsense of its corny sloppy plot, script and vacant shallow characters.
Maybe I missed something? 

trileacman

Quote from: Main Street on January 16, 2013, 01:59:50 PM
I watched the last Batman film the other night, The Dark Knight Rises. I thought it was a candidate for total nonsense. It wasn't even a kids film because of the crudeness. It wasn't an adult film because of the utter nonsense of its corny sloppy plot, script and vacant shallow characters.
Maybe I missed something?

No you are seeing it exactly for what it is. Pure tripe that, like the Bond franchise, the critics lap it up and tell us it's golden.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

ONeill

Jeepers I really enjoyed Django.

It doesn't have to be 'exactly' like anything that has gone before, nor adhere strictly to any specific genre. When you go to see a Tarantino film you have to be prepared to witness the unconventional. That's what he's all about and you can tell one of his films a mile off. With Tarantino you sit back and just enjoy the madness. I was never bored.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hardy

Quote from: ONeill on January 16, 2013, 10:14:35 PM
Jeepers I really enjoyed Django.

It doesn't have to be 'exactly' like anything that has gone before, nor adhere strictly to any specific genre. When you go to see a Tarantino film you have to be prepared to witness the unconventional. That's what he's all about and you can tell one of his films a mile off. With Tarantino you sit back and just enjoy the madness. I was never bored.

The critics seem to agree with you, O'Neill - for instance, I've just watched BBC's review and they're fawning all over it. I agree with you too in a way, or a number of ways - I enjoyed it too, I was never bored either, and it was mad. But you could say the same about the old Batman TV series. I just thought it wasn't great film making as it was completely undisciplined, lazy and all over the place with no attempt at all at competence in the craft, if that doesn't sound too pretentious. But then, I didn't like punk either, for much the same reasons. However, Django, unlike punk, was entertaining.

Hound

Quote from: Hardy on January 17, 2013, 12:28:03 AM
Quote from: ONeill on January 16, 2013, 10:14:35 PM
Jeepers........

.......not like anything that has gone before ...................... be prepared to witness the unconventional .............. sit back and just enjoy the madness................ never bored ................

................................enjoyable ................... mad  ................. Batman ............................... completely undisciplined  ................ all over the place .............. no attempt at all at competence in the craft  ........................ entertaining.

Sounds like its the Eoghan O'Gara of movies ???!!!?

Hardy

nrico2006

Watched Blue Valentine last night, good show.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Billys Boots

QuoteHowever, Django, unlike punk, was entertaining.

Ah get up the yard.  I see you're going to have to undergo some conditioning Hardy - now sit still and watch this ...

Wire: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75-0qIgZjXs

Damned: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeDt5HAlX8c

Only Ones: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOhX8wMhelw

Television: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LmVeXJHM9s

Buzzcocks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwAtifCoB3I
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Hardy

Thanks Billy, but I'll be busy all day - there's a very interesting patch of grass growing outside my window.

Main Street

Billy, The Dammed use to be a loud  filthy group of musical degenerates who couldn't play one note in the sh'itholes of London in the mid 70's. 
That YT video of the Dammed in 1985 fits into my theory, that the vomit of Punk and Pogo was felled in one blow by Plastique Bertrand in 1978 ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClxJITJOcGQ

Billys Boots

Love the Plastique Bertrand, hadn't seen it in a while.

That 1985 video was Television, not The Damned - I loved the Damned personally, and still do; thought that they'd developed from kids who'd no idea about music, performance etc. into an excellent live recording outfit, with personality and something to say, unlike most of their chart competition at the time.  My favourite punk album is Wire's 'Pink Flag' - has really stood the test of time and worthy of a listen by anyone with an interest in rock music.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...