Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 13, 2013, 11:29:35 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 13, 2013, 01:33:05 AM
For me there are some movies that need to be watched at the cinema. The rest should be on normal TV by dvd or some other legal media.  watching via downloads is never the same
Definitely which was why I was asking O'Neill where he watched Life of Pi as all the clips and reviews have suggested it would be a cert for watching in the cinema. Big budget movies are made to make money from the cinema not for tv. Imagine watching a ropey download of the likes of Saving Private Ryan on a laptop feeling smug that you'd saved yourself a tenner.

All in the eye of the beholder though. I had to think hard to recall whether I'd watched SPR in a cinema or not. Have watched it countless times since on all types of formats, mostly on a tiny tv in the early 00s. I don't watch it thinking Jaysus wasn't in great in the cinema with all the people and the surround sound and the big screen an all. The whole cinema experience thingy does nothing for me. I understand the attraction for children.

It's a bit like fireworks. I do like scenery at times. Not completely dead inside yet.

I watched a ropey Life of Pi and was astonished by what they achieved and would recommend it to anyone.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 13, 2013, 11:29:35 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 13, 2013, 01:33:05 AM
For me there are some movies that need to be watched at the cinema. The rest should be on normal TV by dvd or some other legal media.  watching via downloads is never the same
Definitely which was why I was asking O'Neill where he watched Life of Pi as all the clips and reviews have suggested it would be a cert for watching in the cinema. Big budget movies are made to make money from the cinema not for tv. Imagine watching a ropey download of the likes of Saving Private Ryan on a laptop feeling smug that you'd saved yourself a tenner.

life of pi 3d in cinema is must. Some films aren't great 3d but this is a goodin. A lot of the better 3d scenes are near the beginning but I still thought as a whole it was a great show

johnneycool

Quote from: Ulick on January 11, 2013, 12:16:36 PM
Watched Django Unchained (coincidently just after the C4 news interview) and thought it was superb. I'm a big Tarantino fan anyway but for me, this is another great cinematic pastiche up there with Jackie Brown and Inglorious Basterds. The Ennio Morricone soundtrack perfectly invokes the great Sergio Leone classics and hits a nice balance between homage and imitation.

Half way through Django Unchained and its good stuff, pretty brutal at times but strangely also a very funny scene of the KKK clansmen giving out about not being able to see out of their hoods at night, before they try to hang Django and his German bounty hunter companion, reminded me a bit like a blazing saddles scene for some reason.

need to get a bit of peace to watch the remaining hour or so.

mc_grens

Life Of Pi is one of the most visually astonishing movies I've ever seen. Don't miss it in the cinema.

5 Sams

O brother where art thou taped from the other night on RTE. The music alone makes it a classic. Do me for Saturday night!!
The Aristocrat Years

mc_grens

Quote from: 5 Sams on January 15, 2013, 12:19:21 AM
O brother where art thou taped from the other night on RTE. The music alone makes it a classic. Do me for Saturday night!!

Great flick.

omagh_gael

Watched Boys don't cry the other night. Jaysis the last half an hour are hard to watch. Good show though.

mouview

Along with Fargo, their best flick IMO. Found Big Lebowski too much up it's own ass.

5 Sams

Quote from: mouview on January 15, 2013, 11:24:53 PM

Along with Fargo, their best flick IMO. Found Big Lebowski too much up it's own ass.
Fargo's a work of genius imho. Didn't yer woman Frances McDormand win an oscar for her part in it.....throw Buscemi and William H Macy into the mix and you can't go wrong.
The Aristocrat Years

theticklemister

That was the worse film I ever sat through. I dont think I sat through it all to be honest.

nrico2006

I remember turning O Brother over after 15 or 20 minutes too, and The Big Lebowski was pretty shit.  Fargo was brilliant, as was The Man Who Wasn't There and Burn After Reading was enjoyable.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Canalman

Fargo, OBWAT, Millers Crossing all excellent imo. Burn after Reading and the Big Lebowski very average (at best).
Can see why OBWAT mightn't appeal to the Transformer 3/ X men movie generation but I found it charming and brilliantly acted. The supporting cast was very good.

Hardy

As far as I'm concerned, "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" is possibly the best film I've ever seen.

Main Street

Miller's Crossing is my most viewed Cohn film, followed by Fargo, Blood Simple and Barton Fink.
O Brother, Where Art Thou? is merely a brilliant entertaining film :)

Is Blood Simple (their first) the most overlooked/underrated Cohn film? They could have retired after that one.

Hardy

I didn't know what to make of Django Unchained. It was an entertaining yarn, but utter shite in many ways. Tarantino is somewhat deranged, as far as I can see, and this film looks as if it was made by somebody in the throes of some sort of multiple personality disorder.

He couldn't seem to make up his mind whether he wanted it to be How the West Was Won, Kill Bill, The Good The Bad And The Ugly, Blazing Saddles or Machete. We know he's a sick puppy when it comes to the blood and gore, but some of the other stuff was ridiculous.

The comedy scene, out of nowhere and the only one in the film, with the lads arguing over their hoods, was just completely out of place. You can have comedy in any film. It just doesn't work when it's one Mel Brooks type scene in a film that hardly cracks a smile anywhere else.

The speeding up of some scenes, with Django zipping about like Charlie Chaplin in the scene at the slave wagon on the way to the mine, the mincing gay cowboy, who might have made sense if he was played for comedy, instead of  played like Danny La Rue, but without the laughs, the bodies being whipped away when hit by a revolver bullet, martial arts movie style, as if tied to a giant invisible spring – all to a 1930s Western soundtrack - completely incongruous.

Then there was the inability to decipher more than 30% of what Samuel Jackson was muttering, cackling and slurring, with Foxx only hitting about 40% on that score. Add in the ludicrous miscasting of Di Caprio, with an acting performance to match, and you'd have to imagine if it was directed by anyone else, it wouldn't have got such an enthusiastic reception.

Maybe it's genius and I just don't get it, but I think it's more likely the unedited outpourings a self-indulgent adolescent who never grew up, now out of control, with the power to do whatever he fancies, whether it makes sense or not.

But, in a way, I enjoyed it – in the way I enjoyed The Lone Ranger when I was ten.