Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 02, 2013, 02:57:04 PM
I like the old slasher films to be honest, and that was the reason I watched Cabin In The Woods.  But I have never seen such BS in all my life as it just deviated from a slasher horror film to some stupid fantasy type film. The bit with your man Hemsworth trying to do a jump on a motorbike only to hit an imaginary force field was where it all started to go bonkers, ending up with a temple and a huge hand raising out of the ground etc.
That scene was Airplane! class parody.
It had me in stitches.

ballinaman

Quote from: laoislad on January 02, 2013, 03:53:28 PM
Watched Looper last night and I liked it.
Also watched Pitch Perfect and thought it was ok,some funny parts in it but a bit too much like Glee for my liking.

Just downloaded The Imposter,Cloud Atlas and Lincoln and will get to them over the next few days.

Oh and Cabin in the Woods is the worst film I have ever seen.
Got those myself and watched Lincoln yesterday. Heavy enough going but great performances by Daniel Day and his wife( the mother from Forrest Gump). Won't be rushing to watch it again however. Cloud Atlas looks like it has potential from the trailer. Looking forward to Zero Dark Thirty when it comes out on torrents.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Canalman on January 02, 2013, 03:55:08 PM
Two of the greatest war films ever made on the box tonight. Glory and Das Boot. Set the recorder if you  haven't seen either or them both. Good chance some of the younger posters here haven't seen them. Class class flicks.

Absolutely - 2 of my favourite movies of all time.

must sees for anyone - A tour de force from Denzil in Glory - think he won an Oscar for it...
#newbridgeornowhere

GAA_Talk

Quote from: Canalman on January 02, 2013, 03:55:08 PM
Two of the greatest war films ever made on the box tonight. Glory and Das Boot. Set the recorder if you  haven't seen either or them both. Good chance some of the younger posters here haven't seen them. Class class flicks.

What channels are these on? haven't seen either.

theticklemister

Das boot a great film.

Just finished watching 13 there. Tis about russian roulette; it was turning into a good show but the ending was shit. A big let down and 50cent should not be allowed to act in films.

Main Street

I don't remember Glory, but Das Boot was brilliant, though it could have done without that ending, the ultimate bummer.

For American Civil war, the Gettysburg tv drama film, 4hours +, is the standard, maybe  I'm more partial towards the southern generals  Jackson, Lee, Longstreet & Stuart and the southern rebels usually get a raw deal in the movies.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Main Street on January 02, 2013, 10:17:02 PM
I don't remember Glory, but Das Boot was brilliant, though it could have done without that ending, the ultimate bummer.

For American Civil war, the Gettysburg tv drama film, 4hours +, is the standard, maybe  I'm more partial towards the southern generals  Jackson, Lee, Longstreet & Stuart and the southern rebels usually get a raw deal in the movies.
Das Boot is one a few films that I thought ran the book close.

Minder

Working my way through Ken Burns nine part Civil War series on PBS, fantastic viewing.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Minder on January 02, 2013, 10:37:10 PM

Working my way through Ken Burns nine part Civil War series on PBS, fantastic viewing.
TV programmes thread is elsewhere.

tbrick18

Watched "The Divide" last night on Netflix.
It was a decent show and worth a watch.

ziggysego

I watched "Wild Bill" the other night. Dreadful film.
Testing Accessibility

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ziggysego on January 03, 2013, 01:00:47 PM
Have still to see this. Got great reviews on release so not everyone found it as bad as you. Is it out on dvd?

theticklemister

Quote from: hardstation on January 02, 2013, 04:06:16 PM
I watched that Keith Lemon film the other day.

I expected it to be garbage. It was.

I thought ye were a man with a bit of know-how hardstation. I'm shocked at ye.

I only found out who yer man keith lemon was in October when I went to live in liverpool, some boy had a t-shirt of a pic of keith lemon on it and I asked me mate who this boy was. They all started to laugh at me. I didn't give a feck; i thought he was a tube and when me mate told me a bit of info about him; I realised i was correct-- he was a tube.

ziggysego

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 03, 2013, 01:03:40 PM
Have still to see this. Got great reviews on release so not everyone found it as bad as you. Is it out on dvd?

Don't know..... ;)
Testing Accessibility

tbrick18

Quote from: ziggysego on January 03, 2013, 02:11:50 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 03, 2013, 01:03:40 PM

Don't know..... ;)

I watched it a while back. Wasnt the best film I've ever seen, but I certainly wouldn't call it dreadful.