Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Saw Lincoln the other night. Not the Braveheart gore-fest I was expecting, very heavy emphasis on dialogue.  I was impressed.

Saw Skyfall a few weeks ago.  Best Bond film yet IMHO.  The complete opposite of Quantum of Solace which I think belongs in the same league as On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Puckoon

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 29, 2012, 12:08:54 AM
Trainspotting on now. Awesome.

Some people hate the english. I don't. The english are w**kers. We on the other hand are colonised by w**kers.

Interesting username there - because it's a shite state of affairs to be in tommy, and all the fresh air in the world won't make any f**king difference.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Puckoon on December 29, 2012, 12:24:28 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 29, 2012, 12:08:54 AM
Trainspotting on now. Awesome.

Some people hate the english. I don't. The english are w**kers. We on the other hand are colonised by w**kers.

Interesting username there - because it's a shite state of affairs to be in tommy, and all the fresh air in the world won't make any f**king difference.

;D

The job interview and the bedsheet incident are about as funny as you'll see.

screenexile

Jack Reacher then ... What's the story lads?

gallsman

Quote from: screenexile on December 29, 2012, 02:48:04 AM

Thoroughly enjoyed it. A lot of fans of the books aren't happy that Cruise is playing someone who's meant to be a 6'5 beast.

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: ONeill on December 28, 2012, 11:30:02 PM
Rise of the Guardians - wasn't expecting much given the reviews. Turned out to be the most watchable PG movie (animated) I've seen. Usually fall asleep bringing the children but I couldn't this time such was the visual delight. Great stuff.

+1 thoroughly enjoyed it as well.

trileacman

The Hobbit, thought it was good despite some iffy reviews. If you desperately look for flaws you'll find them but I just sat back and followed the story. Agree about Nesbitt but to be fair, we already know he's a gobshite and so he's going to annoy us no matter what he says (which is a sizeable portion in comparison to some more enjoyable characters).

Disagree with the "one film" remark. I think there's enough in the material to make it into a two film job, especially considering how much Tolkien poured into the books.

Hated Skyfall, with the exception of "majesty's service" the worst Bond I've seen. Is that what you expect from a good Bond, - rehash old gadgets and trawl through a load of emotional baggage, sure thats exactly what OHMS was pillared for.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Celt_Man

Quote from: gallsman on December 29, 2012, 10:51:41 AM
Quote from: screenexile on December 29, 2012, 02:48:04 AM

Thoroughly enjoyed it. A lot of fans of the books aren't happy that Cruise is playing someone who's meant to be a 6'5 beast.

Went to see Jack Reacher - was very very good... Seem to capture the spirit of the books and the character of Reacher pretty well - for example Reacher using his elbows and knees in the fight scenes more so than straight punches - which is impressive considering you had a dwarf playing the 6'5'' main man.

Hopefully it does well and a sequel will be given the green light
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Celt_Man

2013 at the minute looks to be a good year for the movies with some cracking flicks coming out

World War Z
The new Superman
Red Dawn
Flight (saw a trailer for it the other day - never heard of it before than)
Die Hard 5 - bound to be a bitta craic
Jack the Giant Slayer
Star Trek 2
Iron Man 3

More sequels from Hobbit, Hunger Games, Thor, Wolverine

Plus 2 classics released in 3D, Jurassic Park and Top Gun

armaghniac

Any sign of Crossmaglen: The movie in 2013, or just the usual 3 part football cycle?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Gabriel_Hurl

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on December 29, 2012, 07:56:46 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on December 29, 2012, 06:59:10 PMRed Dawn

Don't waste your money - it's terrible
Is this a remake of the 80s job with Patrick Swayze?

Looking forward to Star Trek 2, new Superman and A Good Day to Die Hard.

Celt_Man

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 29, 2012, 08:00:58 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on December 29, 2012, 07:56:46 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on December 29, 2012, 06:59:10 PMRed Dawn

Don't waste your money - it's terrible
Is this a remake of the 80s job with Patrick Swayze?

Looking forward to Star Trek 2, new Superman and A Good Day to Die Hard.
Yes Tony as usual you are 100% correct. Red Dawn is a remake with the USA facing invasion from North Korean soldiers rather than Russkies.

Captain Obvious

General Zod playing much of a role in the new Superman film? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKDFop0aqYQ