Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Quote from: ballinaman on December 14, 2012, 01:19:35 PM
Watched Cache/Hidden the last day on the recommendations of this thread. Decent enough, interesting.

Looked back to see if Oldboy had been mentioned on this thread, couldn't find it anywhere. Well its well worth a look. Some ending

Pretty sure Oldboy got "an airing" on the board. Agree totally, the ending is by far one of the most shocking I have seen.

Saw Joe Killer on dvd last night. Not too impressed.

nrico2006

Been waiting to see a trailer for Place Beyond The Pines for near a year, still no sign of one.  Looking forward to it. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Hound on December 14, 2012, 01:04:05 PM
The Hobbit got a very poor review in the Irish Times today. Basically saying unless you're an absolute die hard fan of the book you'll find it very slow

Not surprising since they've split a fairly slim book into 3 almost 3 hour films. They must have a ton of padding in there.

CiKe

Quote from: Canalman on December 14, 2012, 01:25:26 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on December 14, 2012, 01:19:35 PM
Watched Cache/Hidden the last day on the recommendations of this thread. Decent enough, interesting.

Looked back to see if Oldboy had been mentioned on this thread, couldn't find it anywhere. Well its well worth a look. Some ending

Pretty sure Oldboy got "an airing" on the board. Agree totally, the ending is by far one of the most shocking I have seen.

Saw Joe Killer on dvd last night. Not too impressed.

Yep mentioned it couple years ago probably at this stage. Sympathy for Mr Vengeance and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance are two more by the same director, but not as good. Remake being made by Spike Lee due for release next year apparently.

There are some seriously good Korean films out there.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 14, 2012, 02:04:38 PM
Quote from: Hound on December 14, 2012, 01:04:05 PM
The Hobbit got a very poor review in the Irish Times today. Basically saying unless you're an absolute die hard fan of the book you'll find it very slow

Not surprising since they've split a fairly slim book into 3 almost 3 hour films. They must have a ton of padding in there.

There's lots of stuff that were in the appendices of the Lord of the Rings that make their way into the film

Armaghgeddon

Just watched remember me, I thought it was really good, unexpected twist.

theticklemister

mad max beyond thunderdome sucks arse

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on December 16, 2012, 02:41:04 AM
Just watched remember me, I thought it was really good, unexpected twist.

A cracking film, very powerful sort of ending, love those types of films
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Celt_Man

Predator just started on E4 - what a show...

If the World ends in 55 minutes and I don't get to see the end of it, I will really be pissed off
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Celt_Man

Quote from: Celt_Man on December 19, 2012, 11:10:52 PM
Predator just started on E4 - what a show...

If the World ends in 55 minutes and I don't get to see the end of it, I will really be pissed off

Oh it's the 21st.... I'm good to watch this anyway!! Pheww!!!
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Tony Baloney

Seen The Hobbit this evening. Thought it was much better than the early reviews I have read and felt the time flew. Although the 5 times I took my son to the toilet helped break it up a bit!

Hardy

I saw The Hobbit last night. I thought it was great and hugely entertaining. It's not so much the storyline and it's so long since I read the book I can't remember how faithful it is to that, though my lads say it takes plenty of liberties. It's the spectacle - the cinematography, photography and fantastical scenes, all hugely enhanced by the 3-D. I couldn't believe how effective modern 3-D is (my first time experiencing it), compared to the old time red-and-green stuff (sure how could that be any good, heh heh). I wasn't prepared for the almost holographic experience where elements come right off the screen, e.g. a bird fluttering right in front of your eyes out in the middle of the audience. Loved it.

AFS

I thought The Hobbit was enjoyable enough. I had two problems with it, though. Firstly, James Nesbitt. Secondly, things advanced so slowly that it always felt like you were watching the first third of an eight hour long film. Maybe it'll improve over the next two installments, but I suspect the opportunity to make a single outstanding movie has been lost in the effort to make three alright ones.

ONeill

Rise of the Guardians - wasn't expecting much given the reviews. Turned out to be the most watchable PG movie (animated) I've seen. Usually fall asleep bringing the children but I couldn't this time such was the visual delight. Great stuff.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

imtommygunn

Trainspotting on now. Awesome.

Some people hate the english. I don't. The english are wankers. We on the other hand are colonised by wankers.