Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: The Worker on November 25, 2012, 09:58:54 PM
Quote from: onefaircounty on November 25, 2012, 08:11:29 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on November 19, 2012, 05:17:44 PM
Quote from: Orior on November 19, 2012, 05:03:29 PM
Quote from: ross4life on November 19, 2012, 04:53:13 PM
Finally got to see Skyfall last night, better than the last Bond film but loads of plot holes as usual. No surprise Javier Bardem played a excellent villain though the story line could have been better.  6.5 out of 10

Javier played an excellent villain (misnomer?) in the film No Country for Old Men.

In NCFOM he was the best villain I have ever seen.

I'd put him up there, found him genuinely unnerving in that film, which was obviously what he was going for.

Good topic maybe...

Best film bad guy?

Heath ledger?
I think you mean The Joker  ;)

Someone mentioned Chinatown earlier - Noah Cross would be on any bad guy list and auld Vader would have to be on it too.

Main Street

Quote from: Orior on November 25, 2012, 10:04:03 PM
Quote from: mouview on November 23, 2012, 10:19:43 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on November 23, 2012, 10:10:56 AM
Watched The Departed again last night is an enjoyable show, if you can look past Jack Nicholson over egging it.

And if you can take the insipid Matt Damon, which totally I can't. Also Di Caprio's most mature, watchable role. Ray Winstone hams it but there are compensations in the form of Mark Rolston, David O Hara, Vera Farmiga and particularly Mark Wahlberg. Seems to be a fact that many movie people get Oscars for work that isn't their best.

Vera Farmiga  - Woof woof!

Mark Wahlberg - I love his bit in the film:

Queenan: Do you know what we do here? My section?
Costigan: Sir, yes, sir. I have an idea...
Dignam: Whoa, whoa, whoa. Let's say you have no idea and leave it at that, okay? No idea. Zip. None. If you had an idea of what we do, we would not be good at what we do, now would we? We would be c***ts. Are you calling us c***ts?
The original 'Infernal Affairs' is the gold standard. Though The Departed pays a degree of humble homage to the original, not even Scorsese with all the best resources that could be employed, could make a film that came close to matching the original in script, plot, direction, humour, characters, quality acting and pure tension.

nrico2006

Quote from: onefaircounty on November 25, 2012, 08:11:29 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on November 19, 2012, 05:17:44 PM
Quote from: Orior on November 19, 2012, 05:03:29 PM
Quote from: ross4life on November 19, 2012, 04:53:13 PM
Finally got to see Skyfall last night, better than the last Bond film but loads of plot holes as usual. No surprise Javier Bardem played a excellent villain though the story line could have been better.  6.5 out of 10

Javier played an excellent villain (misnomer?) in the film No Country for Old Men.

In NCFOM he was the best villain I have ever seen.

I'd put him up there, found him genuinely unnerving in that film, which was obviously what he was going for.

Good topic maybe...

Best film bad guy?

The scene in the filling station is one of the best.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Canalman

Agree massively with some previous comments about Damon. Just don't see and have never seen what it is about him that makes him a star. The Departed imvho was ruined by overacting (Nicholson) and nonacting (Damon) and only saved by the rest of the cast especially di Caprio. A lucky Oscar for Scorsese, more of an apology for having Goodfellas and others overlooked in the past.

For a great "Irish" mob movie see State of Grace.

Saw my  first Icelandic film at the weekend....... Jar City. Quiet good but hard to keep up with the Icelandic names at first. Looks like a bleak place according to the film. Ripe for an English language remake.

Hardy

I watched "Caché"/"Hidden" yesterday, again based on recommendations here. Straight into my top ten. This thread is great and it works both ways - finds you great films you might have missed and saves you the waste of watching some turkeys (especially when you learn to avoid those actually recommended by some  :P ).

charlieTully

watched cool hand luke last night for first time in years. superb show. timeless.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: charlieTully on November 26, 2012, 01:19:43 PM
watched cool hand luke last night for first time in years. superb show. timeless.
It is never off TCM meaning that I watch bits or all of it every time it is on. The wife isn't such a fan! Nor is she of any of the other films I watch repeatedly - Beverly Hills Cop being the main culprit.

Anyone know what the classification is for The Hobbit as all the posters I have seen to date say TBC - I am assuming it will be no worse than 12A or I will have some disappointed wanes!

Gabriel_Hurl

I think it's PG-13 over here so you should be fine

Saw Lincoln yesterday - and I tell you Daniel Day-Lewis will be getting an Oscar for that - great performance

Main Street

I watched Polisse (2011)  last night, a French film constructed like a fast paced docu drama based on the day to day working experiences of a Child Protection Unit in Paris.
It has harrowing scenes, absolutely gut wrenching at times, other times incredibly funny, but all observed by the camera from an attempted dispassionate (French) distance.
I have no problem to recommend it, depends how you are with certain emotions because this film will certainly make demands.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/polisse_2011/

Puckoon

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 26, 2012, 01:29:29 PM
Quote from: charlieTully on November 26, 2012, 01:19:43 PM
It is never off TCM meaning that I watch bits or all of it every time it is on. The wife isn't such a fan! Nor is she of any of the other films I watch repeatedly - Beverly Hills Cop being the main culprit.

Anyone know what the classification is for The Hobbit as all the posters I have seen to date say TBC - I am assuming it will be no worse than 12A or I will have some disappointed wanes!

Speaking of Paul Newman I watched Cat on a Hot Tin Roof yesterday from start to end. Really only meant to watch a few minutes to pass the commercials on another channel but found it compelling viewing.

As for the Hobbit - I doubt it can be rated higher than the LOTR series - so check out what they were and you should have reasonable peace of mind.

Tony Baloney

Still think Peter Jackson is taking the piss stretching The Hobbit over 3 films.

Canalman

Kill List is on Film4 this week............ Thursday I think.
Curious film with a very odd /dramatic ending. Would recommend a look at it. Have selfish reasons for recommending it as I don't know anyone else who has seen it and wonder how others feel about it.

nifan

Quote from: Canalman on November 27, 2012, 11:04:20 AM
Kill List is on Film4 this week............ Thursday I think.
Curious film with a very odd /dramatic ending. Would recommend a look at it. Have selfish reasons for recommending it as I don't know anyone else who has seen it and wonder how others feel about it.

I thought it was pretty good, creepy feeling to it.

Gold

White Men Cant Jump.

Watched it on Sat and again on Sunday night on Sky 1 and 2

Have to watch out for those Stookie brothers
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

screenexile

Quote from: Gold on November 27, 2012, 04:40:33 PM
White Men Cant Jump.

Watched it on Sat and again on Sunday night on Sky 1 and 2

Have to watch out for those Stookie brothers

Yo Momma's so poor I saw her kicking a can down the street, I ask her what she doin' she say 'Movin'