Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spuds

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 09, 2012, 10:50:07 AM
Looper - would recommend very good. 8/10
[/quote
Would go for same score or even 8.5. After first scene I was saying "ahh no this is going to be shite".
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Dinny Breen

The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

Think this has to be my favourite movie of 2012 - stunning performances from the 3 leads including Harry Potter girl. A very intelligent subtle emotional movie. Won't be everyone's cup of tea but I can't recommend it enough 9/10. Added bonus of a brilliant soundtrack, anything that has Bowie and The Smiths is alright with me.
#newbridgeornowhere

Billys Boots

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 19, 2012, 07:17:26 AM

Think this has to be my favourite movie of 2012 - stunning performances from the 3 leads including Harry Potter girl. A very intelligent subtle emotional movie. Won't be everyone's cup of tea but I can't recommend it enough 9/10. Added bonus of a brilliant soundtrack, anything that has Bowie and The Smiths is alright with me.

Must give it a look Dinny, thanks. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Declan

QuoteThe Perks of Being a Wallflower.

Think this has to be my favourite movie of 2012 - stunning performances from the 3 leads including Harry Potter girl. A very intelligent subtle emotional movie. Won't be everyone's cup of tea but I can't recommend it enough 9/10. Added bonus of a brilliant soundtrack, anything that has Bowie and The Smiths is alright with me

You old softie you ;)

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Declan on October 19, 2012, 09:01:58 AM
QuoteThe Perks of Being a Wallflower.

Think this has to be my favourite movie of 2012 - stunning performances from the 3 leads including Harry Potter girl. A very intelligent subtle emotional movie. Won't be everyone's cup of tea but I can't recommend it enough 9/10. Added bonus of a brilliant soundtrack, anything that has Bowie and The Smiths is alright with me

You old softie you ;)

I'm an emotional guy Dec..
#newbridgeornowhere

laoislad

Quote from: J OGorman on October 09, 2012, 11:43:23 AM
Taken 2..not as good as the first but worth the watch. Must be said the camera work during the fight scenes if way over the top. The mad jumping about is head wrecking
The first one wasn't very good.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

The Iceman

Quote from: laoislad on October 19, 2012, 11:19:15 PM
Taken 2..not as good as the first but worth the watch. Must be said the camera work during the fight scenes if way over the top. The mad jumping about is head wrecking
Go and watch that wall flower film.
Taken was one of the best films in years. It was a hard hitting action packed, little dialogue with a memorable one liner and strong main character. Strong underlying story line.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

spuds

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 19, 2012, 07:17:26 AM

Any movie that comes so highly recommended and yet exceeds expectations is quality.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

onefaircounty

Quote from: The Iceman on October 20, 2012, 12:45:19 AM

Taken was one of the best films in years.

I worry for anyone who genuinely belives this. It was a half-decent action film that has taken a cult-like status. Brilliant, it most certainly was not. It was good.

NAG1

Quote from: onefaircounty on October 22, 2012, 10:11:51 AM

I worry for anyone who genuinely belives this. It was a half-decent action film that has taken a cult-like status. Brilliant, it most certainly was not. It was good.

Anyone watch The Book of Eli, last night on Channel 5?

What complete and utter trash, shame on you Denzel.

trileacman

Quote from: NAG1 on October 22, 2012, 10:37:26 AM
Quote from: onefaircounty on October 22, 2012, 10:11:51 AM

Anyone watch The Book of Eli, last night on Channel 5?

What complete and utter trash, shame on you Denzel.

Dirt, how shit like that makes it past a studio boardroom is maddening.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

The Iceman

Well it depends on what decade you were a kid, what movies you enjoyed, what type of ones you watch.
I was big into films in the 80s and 90s. I was huge fan of the action films with the strong leads, Arnie, Bruce, Stallone, JCVD.
Movies like Bloosport, Or Roadhouse. American Ninja. T2.
These are the films that have led to the success today of the Expendables. Lads like me who grew up with that genre of action. Hard hitting, no crazy special effects, no 3-D, no elaborate storyline. Tough guys blows shit up, kicks ass and saves the day / girl.

Taken was the first film in a while to capture that again that wasn't made by Stallone.....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

NAG1

Quote from: The Iceman on October 22, 2012, 01:42:55 PM
Well it depends on what decade you were a kid, what movies you enjoyed, what type of ones you watch.
I was big into films in the 80s and 90s. I was huge fan of the action films with the strong leads, Arnie, Bruce, Stallone, JCVD.
These are the films that have led to the success today of the Expendables. Lads like me who grew up with that genre of action. Hard hitting, no crazy special effects, no 3-D, no elaborate storyline. Tough guys blows shit up, kicks ass and saves the day / girl.

Taken was the first film in a while to capture that again that wasn't made by Stallone.....

Would agree there, but when you see these films back now they come across as pure and utter tripe!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: NAG1 on October 22, 2012, 01:44:00 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on October 22, 2012, 01:42:55 PM

Would agree there, but when you see these films back now they come across as pure and utter tripe!
Would agree with both of you on this one. I guess when VHS players came into homes in the 80s these were the videos accessible to people of my age (36 now). Who didn't love a bit of American Ninja, No Retreat No Surrender and Bloodsport back in the day?! Yes, they don't stand the test of time but our local karate club was jammed every week off the back of them and Karate Kid.

The Iceman

I could still watch some of them today no bother. Though I bought No Retreat No Surrender on VD 6 or 7 years back and they had changed it. They added a new voice for the Ghost of Bruce Lee and then added flashbacks to training sequences during the final fight.
Dunnes was sold out of Red Tracksuits because of NRNS....