Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: ziggysego on March 20, 2012, 01:01:41 PM
I saw Senna over the weekend. A fantastic documentary about Ayrton Senna, which focused mostly on his time at McLaren and his frictions with Alain Prost. It felt more like watching a film, than a documentary, as there was so much actual footage of Ayrton, not just in the racing, but behind the scenes too.

I'm in no way a Formula One fan, but it's one of my highlights from the last 12 months and would highly recommend it for anyone.

Brilliant show all right.  Prost didn't come out of it looking too good, but it was interesting to see Senna's side of the story.  When I was an F1 fan in those days I always thought of Senna as the baddie and I thought he was always putting boys off the track because he was an ass, so it shows you that there's two sides to every story.

I agree that you soon forget you're watching a documentary.  It's the way they show the footage of the actual races, they just stop narrating and let the commentators of the time do the work.  Come to think of it, there was no narration, wasn't there?  I'm seeing a lot of this in documentaries now, they just let the interviewees do the work and tell their own story. Makes it more convincing if their point is being put across without a third party spelling it out.

J OGorman

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 22, 2012, 07:59:13 AM
The Artist. The novelty of seeing a silent film in this day and age aside, it's a great show. Slower paced than your standard talking picture, and you soon get to see why because it takes time for silent actors to act out the emotions in the style that you only see in silent films.  Nice little twist at the end too.

not anymore there's not!

Senna is some show. Watched Trespass with Nicholas Cage, pretty awful

tbrick18

Quote from: J OGorman on March 22, 2012, 03:03:33 PM
The Artist. The novelty of seeing a silent film in this day and age aside, it's a great show. Slower paced than your standard talking picture, and you soon get to see why because it takes time for silent actors to act out the emotions in the style that you only see in silent films.  Nice little twist at the end too.

not anymore there's not!

Has Nicolas Cage ever been in a good film (outside of Raising Arizona)?
the Rock was OK, but what else has he been in that's been any good?

Gabriel_Hurl

Leaving Las Vegas - seeing as he won an Oscar for it for Best Actor

Puckoon

Face off and Con Air are certainly not bad films.

I watched Blitz last night with Jason Statham - an enjoyable enough auld yarn. Particularly liked his wielding of the Hurley at the start.

tbrick18

Ok I forgot about Leaving Las Vegas, it was a good show, but I wouldnt be too sure about Oscars being an indication of a good film.
Con Air was tripe....dont know why Buscemi and Malkovic ever agreed to be in it.
Face off..better than Con Air but way to cheesy to enjoy, and Travolta is just too nice to be a bad guy.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on March 22, 2012, 03:25:23 PM
Leaving Las Vegas - seeing as he won an Oscar for it for Best Actor

Bringing out the dead
Lord Of War
Matchstick Men
Wild at Heart
#newbridgeornowhere

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: tbrick18 on March 22, 2012, 03:19:50 PM

not anymore there's not!

Red Rock West was one of the better ones.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: tbrick18 on March 22, 2012, 04:25:16 PM
Travolta is just too nice to be a bad guy.

Au contraire:

The problem with Face Off was the story and the script were shite.

The Iceman

Quote from: Puckoon on March 22, 2012, 04:16:04 PM

I watched Blitz last night with Jason Statham - an enjoyable enough auld yarn. Particularly liked his wielding of the Hurley at the start.
making your way through the free ones on netflix?

i watched shaolin last night with jackie chan in a very uncharacteristic role...... 8 out of 10 if you like martial arts films..
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

screenexile

Quote from: The Iceman on March 23, 2012, 02:18:28 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on March 22, 2012, 04:16:04 PM

making your way through the free ones on netflix?

i watched shaolin last night with jackie chan in a very uncharacteristic role...... 8 out of 10 if you like martial arts films..

I thought all films were free on Netflix if you pay your 7 doot a month??!!

Bingo

Hanover III has been announced as been made - same cast and director/writer etc.

They starting in September and they say its the final one. (Until the reunion in 10 years or so).

Tony Baloney

Quote from: tbrick18 on March 22, 2012, 03:19:50 PM

not anymore there's not!

Not having this at all! Right he has made some gash in his time, lately moreso than ever, but I would certainly say the following range from decent to good:

Rumble Fish
Wild at Heart
Raising Arizona
Red Rock West
Honeymoon in Vegas
Leaving Las Vegas
Lord of War
Adaptation
Matchstick Men
Bad Lieutenant
Kick Ass

mc_grens

Saw 21 Jump Street last night... It was surprisingly good. Good solid 7 out of 10.

The Claw

DO NOT pay money to see The Hunger Games. Worst pile of tripe I've seen in a long time. Do not believe the high ratings it is bizarrely being given.