Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 08, 2012, 10:37:31 PM
Quote from: screenexile on January 08, 2012, 10:32:47 PM
It's a 90 minute film roughly 40 mins of violence and grotesqueness, a 20 minute  conversation (admittedly the only half decent part of the film)  followed by another half an hour of a guys deterioration with no dialogue and more disgusting scenes.

People seem to have got caught up in the fact that just because it's about the Hunger Strike that it's inspiring or good. It's not and I'm very pissed off that's 90 mins of my life I'll never get back!

In fairness it is a bit artsy fartsy at times. The 20 minute conversation probably being the highlight of the film but there are many dead spots like having to watch someone mop a corridor for 5 minutes.

I gave up after the first scene, an officer getting up and having his breakfast. How or why they managed to drag that out to five minutes long I do not know. It was like watching paint dry.  I'm glad I didn't waste my time with the rest of it. If I want to watch slow motion I'll watch a game of football and wait for the replays.

Eamonnca1

Seen a handful of films lately.

Mission Impossible: Loved it.  As expected, the action scenes and stunts are so ridiculously far fetched that you just have to laugh.  Great building of tension with the technical gimmicks, perfectly in keeping with the spirit of the TV show.  Plot was a whole lot easier to follow than the first film in this series.

Sherlock Holmes: Loved it.  Clever dialog, great acting, and stunning to look at.

Tintin: Saw it in 3D and it was okay.  Dialog is a bit cheesy and spells it out for you a little bit too much, and the humour is very slapstick, but then that's probably deliberate because it's a children's movie.  I was just curious about it because I used to read the comic books, and this story was very true to the spirit of the original stories with its adventurous atmosphere.  My only gripe from a technical point of view is the 'uncanny valley' nature of this kind of animation.  There's something creepy about 3D animation made from motion capture.  I think I'd prefer the old fashioned 2D animation with good old drawings in the classic Disney style.  The Anime genre still uses it and that's as popular as ever.  Oh, and some of the 3D stuff looked like it was just being shoved into my face to distract me.  "Oh look, this fountain is closer than everything else, clever eh?"  Worth seeing if you were ever a Tintin fan, but not worth going to see otherwise.

Puckoon

Watched the Guard last night. Was kind of disappointed - another movie where you could just watch the trailer and see all the best bits.

mc_grens

Saw Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol today. A ho-hum 6/10.

screenexile

Saw the Goon!! Brutal ... 2 films in 2 nights and both were ket. 3 hours of my life completely wasted :(

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on January 09, 2012, 10:25:45 PM
Saw the Goon!! Brutal ... 2 films in 2 nights and both were ket. 3 hours of my life completely wasted :(
Take a weeks exile from the screen.

mouview

See in the IFTA nominations Ciaran Hinds has been shortlisted for his part in 't**ker Tailor...'  WTF? Much as I like Hinds, his part is only a cameo, has little dialogue and is of minor importance to the progression of the narrative. Was there surely no-one else that could have made the list?

tbrick18

Saw Contagion last night.
Good enough show with a stellar cast, some of whom die (which is always good).
A solid 6/10.

Orior

If you are an over 40 something, and wonder what you would do if your were young again, and like seeing bullies getting their comeuppance, and can switch off your cynicism, then 17 Again is okay for a laugh.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

mc_grens

For anyone interested the IFI have a Spielberg season at the mo. Mostly Warhorse, but there's also the chance to see Saving Private Ryan, Empire Of The Sun, Jaws, and others over the coming weeks. I've got my Raiders Of The Lost Ark tickets for Sunday 29th well booked!

The Iceman

Looking forward to watching Rise of the Planet of the Apes.
The Grey looks to be a good show too, Liam Neeson has really carved out a role for himself as the go to older bad ass
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Capt Pat

I only saw the second half of the Brothers Grimm movie on BBC last night with Matt Damon. I thought it was pretty good from what I saw.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Capt Pat on January 14, 2012, 02:24:12 PM
I only saw the second half of the Brothers Grimm movie on BBC last night with Matt Damon. I thought it was pretty good from what I saw.
Didn't realiseMatt Damon was in it. The wife of one of Minder's big buds plays the Queen or witch or something in it.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Puckoon on January 09, 2012, 07:15:57 PM
Watched the Guard last night. Was kind of disappointed - another movie where you could just watch the trailer and see all the best bits.

Have to say i agree! Gleeson is brilliant, but it lacks something to keep it flowing.

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: lurganblue on December 13, 2011, 11:31:05 PM
Quote from: Forever Green on December 10, 2011, 12:33:19 AM
Anyone got a Lovefilm account? Absolutely brilliant job for £10 every month

Yep. Great for a tenner a month. Plus films streamed through the ps3

Do you get any film at anytime if it has been released for dvd rental?