Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc_grens

Quote from: Capt Pat on December 20, 2011, 12:30:50 AM
Super 8 is just an average movie. It starts well enough butreally just fizzles out.

Those other movies are just so good in comparison.

Quote from: mc_grens on December 19, 2011, 04:13:25 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on December 19, 2011, 03:24:27 PM
Seen the latest Pirates installment and although I haven't enjoyed any of them since the 1st one this one was a decent show.

Have Super 8 in the house to watch some time this week. Is it any good?

If, like me, you grew up with ET, Stand By Me, The Goonies, Close Encounters and all that era of movies you'll love it.

Not quite as good as those flicks but on the same wavelength.

I'm not really comparing them in terms of the quality of the movie, more in terms of the feel of it. You can see what JJ was going for- wearing his influences on his sleeve.

paco

Anyone seen the new Sherlock Holmes yet?

Rois

I watched The Way a few weeks ago on a plane, a Sheen/Estevez family film (starring most of them and directed by Emilio Estevez).  I found it really good and extremely moving!  The story of a trek across the Camino de Santiago in the Pyrenees. 

On the other hand, went to see New Year's Eve on Sunday and it was pretty saccharin stuff but because I had just from NYC on Friday, I loved seeing all the places I'd visited just three days before.  Send the ladies to see it. 

Tony Baloney

Quote from: paco on December 20, 2011, 11:34:16 AM
The missus went to see it last week. Said it was actually better than she thought and enjoyed it.

Quote from: Rois on December 20, 2011, 12:51:35 PM
I watched The Way a few weeks ago on a plane, a Sheen/Estevez family film (starring most of them and directed by Emilio Estevez).  I found it really good and extremely moving!  The story of a trek across the Camino de Santiago in the Pyrenees. 

On the other hand, went to see New Year's Eve on Sunday and it was pretty saccharin stuff but because I had just from NYC on Friday, I loved seeing all the places I'd visited just three days before.  Send the ladies to see it. 
All the reviews have pointed towards this being a big old Christmas turkey.

It seems that De Niro has give up "proper" acting altogether and it satisified in just doing roles to pay the bills. Strange.

The Iceman

Finally got around to watching Hunger.
It isn't what I was expecting. I expected the focus on the story etc but the acting was superb and the cinematography and imagery was epic.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Puckoon

Watched the devils double last night. Good, if a little goofy at the end. Uday Hussein was one fucked up cat. 8/10

Followed it up with Kevin Smiths Red State a yarn loosely based around the Westboro baptist church types (except a lot more sinister). John goodman stars. Very enjoyable, another 8/10

CiKe

The Man from Nowhere, Korean action film about former special agent who hunts down the drugs gang who have kidnapped his kid neighbour. My description makes it sound terrible but is actually really good.

Going to watch Grizzly Man tonight. have only heard good things about it, so looking forward to it.

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 19, 2011, 09:30:45 PM
Quote from: screenexile on December 19, 2011, 09:26:23 PM
Loads of people on FB mouthing about Step Brothers . . . does anyone else see the attraction?? Very average imo and definitely not Ferrell's best work!
I'd go further and say it's dirt.

Also agree with this. Pure muck. Not his finest work. Semi-Pro would fall into the same category.

lurganblue

Quote from: paco on December 20, 2011, 11:34:16 AM

Yes, I went to see it on Sunday. Excellent. I thought it was better than the first which I also enjoyed

Puckoon

Just out of Sherlock holmes at the big screen. Quality stuff, typical Guy Ritchie

lurganblue

watched a film called The First Grader last night.  At first i thought wtf am i watching but as it went on the film turned into a powerful and moving story.  The true story of Kimani Maruge. well worth a watch.

Archie Mitchell

Watched a good few films over the holidays

Warrior - Fantastic film, not just the usual fighter type film, has something else to it. 9/10
The Lincoln Lawyer - Surprised how good it was. 8/10
Eastern Promises - Decent show. 7.5/10
Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Brilliant film. Graphics superb and Andy Serkis was brilliant as Caesar. 8.5/10

mc_grens

Girl With The Dragon Tattoo- excellent.

Thought Rooney Mara did an even better job than Noomi Rapace in the Swedish version. She made Salander seem child-like at times without compromising either the toughness or the matter of fact craziness of the character.

Tony Baloney

Over the holidays:

Super 8 - liked it (8/10)
Iron Man 2 - much better than I thought (8.5/10)
Midnight in Paris - interesting flick (8/10)
Hangover 2 - rehash of the first unsurprisingly but enjoyable enough (7/10)
Inbetweeners Movie - funny in some parts, dragged in others but the funny parts made up for it (8.5/10)

Canalman

From what I saw over the Christmas

The Inbetweeners................ Not too impressed tbh and I am a fan of the series.

Devil's Double.............. watchable.

The Kill List................... Very odd film. Not really sure what to make of it. Some nasty violence in it. Good or Bad? ............decide for yourself as I'm not sure.