Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Hashtag

Watched two films over the weekend:
Friends with Benefits- 8/10 very good I thought. Funny, Sexy, but predicible.

Super 8-  8/10 Enjoyed it. I like JJ Abrams work. Slick. The kids in starring roles were fantastic.

Capt Pat

Quote from: Skiddybadoo on October 18, 2011, 01:17:34 PM
Quote from: trileacman on October 15, 2011, 09:09:02 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 15, 2011, 09:06:44 PM
Seen Real Steel last night, very good show, 9/10.
The premise seems like a disney flick but have heard nothing but good reviews. Is it not a bit

The smaltz in Real Steel was cringwworthy. Effects were good, but if you're over 15yrs I'd stay away.

Real Steel is very entertaining, end of story8 out of 10.

ballinaman

Watched Crazy Stupid Love,

Daycent...had to nearly pick up the girls i was watching it with off the floor because of Ryan Gosling, christ...to be that man for a day...would clean up.

Drags on about 15 minutes too long at the end, missed a great opportunity to end it after a class scene. 7/10

Agnes Dipesto

Quote from: ardal on October 14, 2011, 11:55:40 PM
Quote from: gallsman on October 07, 2011, 12:17:05 AM
I'm convinced the film I'm trying to think of is one of those Crash/Babel style films where lots of plots are interconnected. Film definitely closes with some piece of what I'd almost call "orchestral" electronic music like that towards the end of Drive, and am convinced there's a nighttime cityscape, almost certainly of LA. Doing my bloody head in!

I'm probably way of the mark, but is it that movie with the wee squeee kid who has lost his parents (NY) but knows them through music. That D4 bollocks stars in it as a bit of a rock sort of guy, maa plays classical soloist stuff; modern Oliver Twist (Robin Williams)?????

Ardal, August Rush is the film you're talking about.

Denn Forever

Not really about a new film but there are documentaries tonight on BBC 4 about The Life of Brian and all that ensued. 

21:00 Holy Flying Circus (T) Comedy drama, based on the controversy that surrounded Monty Python's Life of Brian on its release in 1979. As a campaign to ban the film gathered momentum, John Cleese and Michael Palin defended their work by participating in a live TV debate against Malcolm Muggeridge and the Bishop of Southwark - but the programme did not go according to plan. Darren Boyd and Charles Edwards star alongside Steve Punt, Rufus Jones, Tom Fisher, Phil Nichol and Stephen Fry. Followed by the original TV debate from 1979.     

22:30 Friday Night - Saturday Morning (R) (T) A 1979 TV debate about the controversy surrounding Monty Python's Life of Brian, which saw John Cleese and Michael Palin defend the film against accusations of blasphemy made by Mervyn Stockwood, the then-Bishop of Southwark, and author and satirist Malcolm Muggeridge. The programme is presented by Tim Rice and features music by Paul Jones and the Blues Band.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Puckoon

Watched Hanna and Fallen this week.

Hanna started out great, and had fantastic potential, but I think it fell short. 6.5/10

Fallen was really enjoyable, can't believe I'd never seen it before. 8/10.

nrico2006

Quote from: Puckoon on October 20, 2011, 07:56:16 PM

Hanna started out great, and had fantastic potential, but I think it fell short. 6.5/10

Hanna is decent.  Fallen is up there with the best, one of my all time favourites.  Tiiiiiiime is on my side, oh yes it is.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Mayo4Sam

Watched Despicable Me this evening, excellent show, very funny.

Followed that up with funny people, very surprised by this, thought it was a good show, some comedy but more a drama, well worth a look but long, 150 min I think
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

CiKe

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 21, 2011, 10:41:13 AM
Quote from: Puckoon on October 20, 2011, 07:56:16 PM

Hanna is decent.  Fallen is up there with the best, one of my all time favourites.  Tiiiiiiime is on my side, oh yes it is.

Always loved Fallen and watched it again last night on BBC - one of Denzel's best films I think. Same director did Frequency I think which also really enjoyed.

Before watching Fallen, I watched Das Experiment, which had wanted to see for a while. Fantastic psychological thriller, thoroughly impressed.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Denn Forever on October 19, 2011, 04:41:54 PM
Not really about a new film but there are documentaries tonight on BBC 4 about The Life of Brian and all that ensued. 

21:00 Holy Flying Circus (T) Comedy drama, based on the controversy that surrounded Monty Python's Life of Brian on its release in 1979. As a campaign to ban the film gathered momentum, John Cleese and Michael Palin defended their work by participating in a live TV debate against Malcolm Muggeridge and the Bishop of Southwark - but the programme did not go according to plan. Darren Boyd and Charles Edwards star alongside Steve Punt, Rufus Jones, Tom Fisher, Phil Nichol and Stephen Fry. Followed by the original TV debate from 1979.     

22:30 Friday Night - Saturday Morning (R) (T) A 1979 TV debate about the controversy surrounding Monty Python's Life of Brian, which saw John Cleese and Michael Palin defend the film against accusations of blasphemy made by Mervyn Stockwood, the then-Bishop of Southwark, and author and satirist Malcolm Muggeridge. The programme is presented by Tim Rice and features music by Paul Jones and the Blues Band.

On now, Judith had some bush on her ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Windmill abu

Watched "Kill the Irishman" last night. Its based on the story of Danny Greene, a mobster of Irish descent who was active in Cleveland in the 1970's. It stars Ray Stevenson and bears comparison to the likes of "Goodfellas".

It is well worth watching despite it having Vinnie Jones in it and there are some excellent performances in the minor roles from Christopher Walken and Val Kilmer
Never underestimate the power of complaining

Denn Forever

Missisippi Burniing on RTE1at the minute.  Awesome.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

ballinaman

Animal Kingdom

Australian crime thriller. Quality

NAG1

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on October 22, 2011, 12:08:41 AM
Watched Despicable Me this evening, excellent show, very funny.

Followed that up with funny people, very surprised by this, thought it was a good show, some comedy but more a drama, well worth a look but long, 150 min I think

Found this a really hard watch, dont know what it was supposed to be and was way way too long