Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orangemac

Quote from: trileacman on September 28, 2011, 10:15:54 PM
Watching Heat on Film4. Pacino eating the scenery. Real mess of a film in my eyes, pure wordy Bullshit. DeNiro is good though.
Thought it was great first time I saw it but it doesn't stand up as well as other films such as Goodfellas and LA Confidential on repeat viewings.

mouview

Watching Heat on Film4. Pacino eating the scenery. Real mess of a film in my eyes, pure wordy Bullshit. DeNiro is good though.

Thoroughly agree. Pacino needs a really strong director to keep him reined in, something he's had all too rarely for most of his career. This movie really could have done with, ...oh..  Day Lewis in Pacino's role, tighter editing and shaper dialogue.

trileacman

Quote from: mouview on September 28, 2011, 11:42:48 PM
Thoroughly agree. Pacino needs a really strong director to keep him reined in, something he's had all too rarely for most of his career. This movie really could have done with, ...oh..  Day Lewis in Pacino's role, tighter editing and shaper dialogue.

This final third has been a big improvement but Mann really let this loose in the middle. I heard Day Lewis criticised for his role in there will be blood for being over-acted but this is the worst I seen. Collateral was much better.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

Quote from: Orangemac on September 28, 2011, 11:29:25 PM
Thought it was great first time I saw it but it doesn't stand up as well as other films such as Goodfellas and LA Confidential on repeat viewings.
Those films move along quicker though and they are great films, Mann has a tendency to get bogged down in the dialogue. That said there is some great shots in this film. The heist is very captivating and the sound is expertly done.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Don Johnson

Drive was absolutely brilliant. Nothing like that Fast and the Furious dirt. Doesn't really rely heavily on car chases and what not at all.

Gosling is brilliant in it as the brooding hero.

Took me a while to realise where I knew Albert Brooks from, he does voices in The Simpsons and was Nemo's da.

ballinaman

Drive is different to say the least. Watched it with 4 others and split opnions on it.

Must be a record for the least amount of dialogue from a main character though!

Denn Forever

Quote from: ballinaman on September 29, 2011, 12:53:45 PM
Drive is different to say the least. Watched it with 4 others and split opnions on it.

What was the name of that film where the main character had the pudding bowl haircut?  Don't remember him saying much.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Don Johnson

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

nrico2006

Saw Drive at the weekend, great show which was unbelievably well directed.  Some of the music in the film was unreal, really reminded me of some of the scenes in Scarface. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

tbrick18

Saw The Shining again the other night....fantastic show and really stands the test of time.
Also saw The Fast and the Furious, not the first one, the one that's meant to be the sequel to the first one with Vin Diesel back. One word.....SH*TE!

Nally Stand

Quote from: ballinaman on September 29, 2011, 12:53:45 PM

The American, staring George Clooney. His script must have ran to almost half a file page.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Don Johnson

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 03, 2011, 09:21:21 AM
Saw Drive at the weekend, great show which was unbelievably well directed.  Some of the music in the film was unreal, really reminded me of some of the scenes in Scarface.

Very Grand Theft Auto, which I loved.

nrico2006

Saw this trailer for drive on Sky Atlantic a few weeks ago, could not for the life of me find it anywhere until today.  Unbelievable trailer:

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/drive/tv-spot-coolest-movie
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

mc_grens

Quote from: Don Johnson on October 03, 2011, 12:03:55 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on October 03, 2011, 09:21:21 AM

Very Grand Theft Auto, which I loved.

Wall-E