Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

onefaircounty

Have taken in a few films recently

Bridesmaids - watched it to pass time, was expecting little but actually found it very, very good. A chick flick version of the Hangover, but surprisingly decent. 7/10

Kick Ass - Again, expectations were low, didn't think it would be my cup of tea - thought it was excellent. Really well done and very violent. 7.5/10

Unstoppable - Was looking forward to this and again Denzel was brilliant. Too much use of the news feature i felt, and with all Tony Scott films there was a bit too much emphasis on the smashes, but a good show all the same. 7/10

Super 8 - Heard average reviews about this. Thought it was a very well done film and some of the acting from the children was excellent. 8/10

The Fighter - Good story, although I felt the fight conclusions were sudden and not overly dramatic. Bale is brilliant as usual - 7/10

All in the 7-8 range thankfully.  ;D

mc_grens

I went to see t**ker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy on Tuesday night. Super flick with tremendous performances.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: mc_grens on September 22, 2011, 10:38:05 PM
I went to see t**ker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy on Tuesday night. Super flick with tremendous performances.
Reported.

nrico2006

Finally got to watch Letters from Iwo Jima last night on DVD, had watched Flags of Our Fathers about 6 months ago and was told to expect the second piece to be far better.  Didn't think much of either.  There can only be so much sentiment, tears and drama in a film but there needs to be some decent action with a good looking doll involved.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: mc_grens on September 22, 2011, 10:38:05 PM

Really looking forward to watching that!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Capt Pat

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 23, 2011, 09:15:09 AM
Finally got to watch Letters from Iwo Jima last night on DVD, had watched Flags of Our Fathers about 6 months ago and was told to expect the second piece to be far better.  Didn't think much of either.  There can only be so much sentiment, tears and drama in a film but there needs to be some decent action with a good looking doll involved.

After watching it a dozen times I thought it was great. But now I have been told I see you are right. No Arnold Schwarz or Sly Stallone blowing chit up either. A bit of a letdown really.

mc_grens

Quote from: Capt Pat on September 23, 2011, 10:25:27 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on September 23, 2011, 09:15:09 AM

After watching it a dozen times I thought it was great. But now I have been told I see you are right. No Arnold Schwarz or Sly Stallone blowing chit up either. A bit of a letdown really.

I thought Letters from Iwo Jima was clearly the better of the two- great movie.

Canalman

Saw Lovely Bones last night. Very very odd film. Not too impressed with it.

Saw T. Tailor Soldier etc last week. Not too impressed although  to be fair I have read the book and seen the Alec Guinness mini series. Imo should have been 40 mins longer as film felt rushed.

Slight SPOILER ALERT ahead.

Not enough attention given individually to the main suspects which the book / mini series does. Really left you not caring about the ending imo.

nrico2006

Haven't been as excited about a film in a long time as I am about Drive, some quality trailers out there for it.  Cinema will be hit for the 1st time in a few years.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

screenexile

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 27, 2011, 10:30:50 AM
Haven't been as excited about a film in a long time as I am about Drive, some quality trailers out there for it.  Cinema will be hit for the 1st time in a few years.

Looks like another Fast & Furious to me can't say I'm looking forward to it that much.

Don Johnson

Looking forward to Drive myself having read the reviews etc.

Don't think it will be anything like Fast & Furious.

Girlfriend made me go to Crazy, Stupid, Love on Sunday, was a lot better than I thought. Carell and Gosling were very funny in it. Some good laughs. Plus Emma Stone and Analeigh Tipton provided the eye candy which helped.

Canalman - agreee with you about t**ker, Tailor I thought there could have been more background on the suspects from "the circus" so we could have tried to make a guess on who the mole was but sure. Still enjoyed it.

nrico2006

Quote from: screenexile on September 27, 2011, 10:42:47 AM

Looks like another Fast & Furious to me can't say I'm looking forward to it that much.

It will be nothing like Fast and the Furious.  Gosling actually is very picky about the roles he plays, not an actor who just churns out film after film for the sake of money.  Also, the film has got pretty impressive reviews and was in the running for the palme d'or at Cannes where it received a standing ovation.

laoislad

Fairly good quality torrent of it here if you are into illegal downloading of movies.

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6700250/Drive_2011_SCR_XviD-playXD
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on September 27, 2011, 07:18:15 PM

Fairly good quality torrent of it here if you are into illegal downloading of movies.

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6700250/Drive_2011_SCR_XviD-playXD
No-one here would be into that illegal carry on.

trileacman

Watching Heat on Film4. Pacino eating the scenery. Real mess of a film in my eyes, pure wordy Bullshit. DeNiro is good though.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014