Leinster Senior football championship 2024

Started by Blowitupref, April 01, 2024, 09:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Boy Wonder

Re. Football & Hurling areas in Carlow, Laois & Offaly

At a guess I'd say the area split would be two-thirds football and one-third hurling - I'm open to contradiction.

Most clubs across these counties would be dual - football clubs fielding at minimum junior hurling teams and vice-versa.

Carlow - hurling strongest in areas bordering Kilkenny & Wexford
Laois - hurling strongest in areas bordering Kilkenny, Offaly & Tipperary
Offaly - hurling strongest in areas bordering Galway, Tipperary & Laois

There was a good programme on TV some time ago about Bord na Mona and how the employment it provided was a big factor in the rise of Offaly football in the 1960s through to 1980s.

Westmeath is another county similar to Carlow, Laois & Offaly with a proud football & hurling tradition.
Of course Offaly's record as a dual county is the envy of all the smaller dual counties.

Derryman forever

https://hoganstand.com/Article/Index/331412

Now of all the legends sitting on the Bench. I would have thought Cluxton was the one most likely to improve Dublin's performance.
What do you think?

NotedObserver

Quote from: Derryman forever on April 03, 2024, 01:51:08 PMhttps://hoganstand.com/Article/Index/331412

Now of all the legends sitting on the Bench. I would have thought Cluxton was the one most likely to improve Dublin's performance.
What do you think?

Where is O'Hanlon? I was fairly impressed anytime I seen him. Wasnt impressed with Comerford at the weekend at all

SouthOfThe Bann

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on April 03, 2024, 12:57:57 PMRe. Football & Hurling areas in Carlow, Laois & Offaly

At a guess I'd say the area split would be two-thirds football and one-third hurling - I'm open to contradiction.

Most clubs across these counties would be dual - football clubs fielding at minimum junior hurling teams and vice-versa.

There was a good programme on TV some time ago about Bord na Mona and how the employment it provided was a big factor in the rise of Offaly football in the 1960s through to 1980s.

Westmeath is another county similar to Carlow, Laois & Offaly with a proud football & hurling tradition.
Of course Offaly's record as a dual county is the envy of all the smaller dual counties.

Always found it very interesting to see the split in counties.

As someone once said the Hurling areas in Ireland is Tipperary and every county it borders.

With the exception of Wexford pockets of North Kerry and the Glens of Antrim.

seafoid

Quote from: SouthOfThe Bann on April 03, 2024, 02:06:54 PM
Quote from: The Boy Wonder on April 03, 2024, 12:57:57 PMRe. Football & Hurling areas in Carlow, Laois & Offaly

As someone once said the Hurling areas in Ireland is Tipperary and every county it borders.

imtommygunn

Is Galway like that and the hurling strongholds would be more towards Munster and football more into Connacht?

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 03, 2024, 04:27:35 PMIs Galway like that and the hurling strongholds would be more towards Munster and football more into Connacht?
Yes. North Galway borders Roscommon and Mayo whereas South Galway borders Clare, Tipp and Offaly.  The hurling region generally has better land .

SouthOfThe Bann

Quote from: seafoid on April 03, 2024, 04:24:05 PM

That looks about right.

Laois the only county which has swayed since that I would imagine.

Be 60 40 in favour of football now I would think?

Brendan

Rossfan

I see Longford bet Dublin in the Leinster MFC tonight!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Quote from: Rossfan on April 03, 2024, 11:12:04 PMI see Longford bet Dublin in the Leinster MFC tonight!!
Longford 3-08 Dublin 1-09 first win at that grade for Longford since 2002.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Laoiseabu

Quote from: SouthOfThe Bann on April 03, 2024, 05:13:17 PM

That looks about right.

It's 50/50 in Laois . Parts of the county to the north and the east of Portlaoise is all football. Parts of the county to the south and the west of Portlaoise is all hurling . Portlaoise town itself plays both sports. The football side of Laois would have a bigger population than the hurling side as it is situated closer to Dublin .
The hurling side of Laois would be geographically a bigger area though

Londoner89

Hurling used to be a lot bigger in Ulster/Connacht/North Leinster. There's a few clubs in Donegal which used to play hurling. Ulster hurling was similar to Shinty in Scotland.

https://www.historyireland.com/the-geography-of-hurling-11-2/

QuoteTWO VERSIONS
By the eighteenth century it is quite clear that there were two principal, and regionally distinct,versions of the game. One was akin to modern field hockey, or shinty, in that it did not allow handling of the ball; it was played with a narrow, crooked stick; it used a hard wooden ball (the 'crag'); it was mainly a winter game. This game, called camán (anglicised to 'commons'), was confined to the northern half of the country; its southern limits were set sharply where the small farms of the drumlin belt petered out into the pastoral central lowlands.

It declined after Cusack formed the modern sport based on the southern rules.

QuoteThus, when Michael Cusack set about reviving the game, he codified a synthetic version, principally modelled on the southern 'iomán' version that he had known as a child in Clare. Not surprisingly, this new game never caught on in the old 'commons' area, with the Glens of Antrim being the only major exception.

This is the biggest hurdle to growing hurling. The traditional game became extinct and you've had a century of generations only knowing Gaelic football or soccer. I do wonder what would have happened if both versions of the game had been preserved.

SouthOfThe Bann

Quote from: Laoiseabu on April 04, 2024, 02:28:18 AM
Quote from: SouthOfThe Bann on April 03, 2024, 05:13:17 PM

That looks about right.

It's 50/50 in Laois . Parts of the county to the north and the east of Portlaoise is all football. Parts of the county to the south and the west of Portlaoise is all hurling . Portlaoise town itself plays both sports. The football side of Laois would have a bigger population than the hurling side as it is situated closer to Dublin .
The hurling side of Laois would be geographically a bigger area though

Its the opposite of Clare then.

Football area possibly slightly bigger but population far bigger in the Hurling area as its closer to Limerick etc.

Londoner89

Leinster GAA chief says provincial football and hurling championships are 'alive and kicking'

Maybe hurling but he must be living in a different world to the rest of us when it comes to football. Take Dublin out and you'd have a competitive championship.