NFL Div 2 2020

Started by Laoiseabu, October 18, 2019, 12:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helix.

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on February 01, 2020, 11:19:00 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on February 01, 2020, 09:02:17 PM
Armagh always lose to Laois and we were brutal today. As was the referee - for both teams. Laois very impressive in the way they managed the game. The pitch seems to need a bit of remedial work.

Re. the pitch - it did seem a bit bare. Overuse ?

They should really look at putting dugouts the other side of the terrace like Tullamore as the stand side gets awful doing every match. Might take a bit of pressure off the stand line which is nothing short of a disgrace. Running the risk of serious injury the way it is at the minute. Of course being overused no doubt contributes massively.

Re: last night a good win not too many would have predicted 3 points from 4 in our first 2 games. Brian Byrne hopefully will be a great find going forward. Defence were calm and composed on the ball and not afraid to run at Armagh who were very poor. Evan was brilliant with the ball he got. Corbett looks very calm with the ball. It will be interesting to see if his free taking skills be required over the course of the league. Probably one of the best free takers off the ground in the county at the minute.

Set up nicely for next weekend against Cavan who will be another tough game despite their result against Armagh. Division 2 will be a dogfight so every point counts to stay up.

Tony

Fantastic display, real fighting spirit shown. Well set up, too. Lacking that bit of quality in some areas but it's not for lack of trying. Seems to be great spirit in the group.

Interview with Mike Quirke, post Armagh match : https://soundcloud.com/midlandssport/laois-beat-armagh

portlaoisekid

Quote from: Nameless on February 01, 2020, 10:57:20 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on February 01, 2020, 10:33:18 PM
Quote from: Nameless on February 01, 2020, 10:08:11 PM
Overall we played some nice stuff, were set up well, team spirit looks good and they put everything into it. Can't ask for more than that.

From an Armagh visitor, I think Laois can take some pride in their team.

That reminds me of another thing I was going to say. We all know it at this stage but our support is pathetic. It was a nice evening for February, dry and not that cold, there's no excuse to be outnumbered by a county 2 and a half hours away. When Armagh were getting back in the game, the noise from the crowd was boosting them. As you say, Laois people should have pride in this team, they deserve our support.
couldn't agree more but laois is laois and always will be , laois people always have an opinion on the teams but never back them up by actually going to a match.

Laois played well last night, I suppose the best judge of the result is that Armagh supporters  were completely  sick with the result, as if it was an insult that they lose to us. Fair play to our lads they played well and there is more to  come hopefully,  itll be a rocky road but sure to the true laois supporters that's par for the course.

Laois abu.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Never thought I'd see this in Div2. this year.  I know its early but let's enjoy it... :)

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

town1980

When is the last time Armagh beat Laois in the league ?was not at the game I listened to bits on the wireless great entertainment a great win seems good work with a different way of playing so the good work rolls on it looks like well done to the players involved

Helix.

Quote from: town1980 on February 02, 2020, 09:57:53 PM
When is the last time Armagh beat Laois in the league ?was not at the game I listened to bits on the wireless great entertainment a great win seems good work with a different way of playing so the good work rolls on it looks like well done to the players involved

2014 up in Armagh last time we were beaten by them 2:18 to 1.12 if I'm not mistaken.

High Fielder

The supporters in Laois are an odd bunch. A few years ago, the stand was packed and the roof came off when Stradbally beat Portlaoise. There was a good spread of clubs represented last night and the place was empty. I don't get it. I never have done. It's like most people are happy to see players develop, but abandon them if they wear the county jersey. Yes it's too expensive and yes we're a bit of a mess in terms of lads drifting away prematurely. But they're still lads who play for our clubs, and because of that, we should support them. Otherwise what's the point in the first place?

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Helix. on February 02, 2020, 10:04:03 PM
Quote from: town1980 on February 02, 2020, 09:57:53 PM

2014 up in Armagh last time we were beaten by them 2:18 to 1.12 if I'm not mistaken.

And we have a good clatter of Championship wins against them in recent years too.

Joeythelips

Great win but just like posters losing their S**t that we have lost players or lost an O'Byrne cup game we should also temper our optimism as it is still February so we cannot fully judge yet.

The good thing is at least it seems there is a good set up in place as there were question marks over Quirke so he seems to be running a good ship and the players are buying into it, which is no mean achievement seeing as we lost 3 of our best players from last year before a ball was kicked.

The PRO

Quote from: Joeythelips on February 03, 2020, 10:38:50 AM
we lost 3 of our best players from last year before a ball was kicked.
I'd argue the only big miss from last year is Attride. Donie hasn't been fully fit for years now and Paul is very inconsistent.

Giovanni

What struck me most about Satuday night was the workrate of our forwards. That's something we haven't really seen for a while. Mark Barry must have covered every blade of grass (especially when we went down to 14), Lillis popped up all over the place, Evan was continually moving. That level of workrate from the full forward line had been missing for a while and it counts for a lot.

By the way, I thought Hanrahan has a great game (despite apparently picking up an injury early in the game) on Turbitt and Byrne had a very good debut. Timmons was also excellent and got an outrageous point for himself. Robbie Piggot was also excellent I thought and made one outstanding and important block in the first half.

But the main thing is the workrate. It's great to see it.

On the downside, I still think there is work to be done on the tackling. You could see Armagh have worked a lot on this. They gave away a lot of frees (so maybe they haven't worked enough on it) but their tackling did seem a bit more effective than ours.

Overall, great to see. There are still plenty of good players in Laois.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: The PRO on February 03, 2020, 10:50:26 AM
I'd argue the only big miss from last year is Attride. Donie hasn't been fully fit for years now and Paul is very inconsistent.

All 3 of them would still walk back onto that team.

The PRO

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on February 03, 2020, 11:41:38 AM
Quote from: The PRO on February 03, 2020, 10:50:26 AM

All 3 of them would still walk back onto that team.
Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe the days that lads "walk back" into the Laois team are gone and that mightn't be a bad thing.

Chrimtain

Yes, we need to lose the attitude that lads can walk back into a team. Quirke seems to have adopted the attitude that they can't.

Tony

Regarding the support - I think it will come good. Support last couple of years has been good. I think a lot of people were disheartened seeing Sugrue go, as well as the Kingstons and Attride. Not many people had hope for us this year and the buzz was very low around the place regarding our chances in 2020. But I think if we continue to see performances like we have done, the crowd will return again. Like Sugrue said, you have to give people a reason to want to show up and support, and I feel like we'll have the good support from 2018/2019 back for 2020 shortly.