Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrendanAntrim

From that angle it does look like a red, very unfortunate and as MR2 says, not like Tomas at all, but you can see why that's been given if the ref's view was the same as that angle.

SaffronSports

I think based on the initial contact it's harsh but I think there's a secondary movement with the elbow which I'm not sure makes contact. Dunno, that's a pretty good angle and zoomed in close and still not completely sure. Even the first two responses here are saying yes it is and no it isn't.

imtommygunn

A problem here too is that anyone here would know Tomas McCann isn't a dirty player so it probably gives you preconceptions. If it was an unknown player would you still think the same is the question I guess anyone needs ask.

Gold

It was a forwards tackle/shoulder....you lift the arm up after to try and stop the player, it isn't dirty but in real time it looks like it is

Today's games went as I expected unfortunately.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Oso

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on November 12, 2023, 09:37:14 PMOso, I appreciate your frustrations are very raw but you are presenting an entirely one-sided view of the game. Don't take that personally btw, we're all guilty of it and it's human nature to focus solely on what went against you.

I'm not from Cargin! Why would my frustrations be raw? I'm calling it as I see it.

I follow all Antrim teams in Ulster.  But the referring and the agenda today just wasn't good enough.

Saul goodman

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on November 12, 2023, 10:41:36 PM
Quote from: Oso on November 12, 2023, 10:27:19 PM
Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on November 12, 2023, 09:37:14 PMOso, I appreciate your frustrations are very raw but you are presenting an entirely one-sided view of the game. Don't take that personally btw, we're all guilty of it and it's human nature to focus solely on what went against you.

I'm not from Cargin! Why would my frustrations be raw? I'm calling it as I see it.

I follow all Antrim teams in Ulster.  But the referring and the agenda today just wasn't good enough.
Then it's odd. Some things went against Cargin today but no doubt Glen have a lock of things they could point to as well.
I mean, you point out that Cargin missed a couple of scoreable frees in the first half but don't mention that Glen missed a bagful of scoreable chances in the same period.
The sending off of Tomas was unfortunate. My view on it was through a screen and I have seen the different replays. While those aren't great and render it somewhat inconclusive, it's definitely understandable how the ref could have viewed it as a raised elbow to the face. Whether that is 100% accurate or not, it's not a ridiculous decision.

One thing doesn't help is the glen player is one of the smallest on the pitch. I think it looked worse than it was. Tomas was not helped in any part by the excessive rolling and head clutching of the glen player

Sportacus

Ruairi McCann's was a soft red against Cargin.  Tomas's was a soft red against Glen. Swings and roundabouts. Cargin have been admired for squeezing through tight games in Antrim.  You'd have to say the same about Glen on the bigger stage.

erinsboy

Big McCanns red against Cargin was not soft ,he intentionally through his elbow back and hit an opposition player in the face.
Straight forward red from any ref.

Spike

If that's a red, croziers block is a free and carrons challenge a yellow card and o'neulls a black then we may all pack up and go home because its not football any more

Milltown Row2

The challenge leaves the ref to make a decision, unfortunately for Tomas he viewed it differently to most..

Like it's not even full contact, no intent either, borderline yellow, but you'd give a yellow for the optics

It's impossible to say 15 on 15 whether Glen would still win, it just means a difficult game becomes harder to win.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

FWIW I think the red card was harsh, the tackle itself was fine but I think the arm movement at the very end would have caught the refs eye.

Glen player didnt do him any favours going down clutching the head feigning injury. Horrible aspect creeping into the game in both football and hurling.

On another note, what a joke it is that Glenullin are in that Intermediate Champ.

Silver hill

I was at the game and it happened right in front of us. McCann lifted his elbow into an unnatural position and caught Mcguckin on the jaw/cheek. Straight red all day long.

Oso

Quote from: Silver hill on November 13, 2023, 08:47:50 AMI was at the game and it happened right in front of us. McCann lifted his elbow into an unnatural position and caught Mcguckin on the jaw/cheek. Straight red all day long.

That's absolutely 100% inaccurate. Look at curly's photos on the Saffron Gael website. No raised elbow in contact, no contact at all anywhere near the head.   

Oso

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on November 12, 2023, 10:41:36 PM
Quote from: Oso on November 12, 2023, 10:27:19 PM

Then it's odd. Some things went against Cargin today but no doubt Glen have a lock of things they could point to as well.
I mean, you point out that Cargin missed a couple of scoreable frees in the first half but don't mention that Glen missed a bagful of scoreable chances in the same period.
The sending off of Tomas was unfortunate. My view on it was through a screen and I have seen the different replays. While those aren't great and render it somewhat inconclusive, it's definitely understandable how the ref could have viewed it as a raised elbow to the face. Whether that is 100% accurate or not, it's not a ridiculous decision.

We aren't talking about the same thing. You're referring to Glen player's taking on shots under pressure from areas they might not normally shoot from and about guys taking on the shots who aren't the reliable shooters.  I call that smart defence on cargin's part.

I'm referring to Cargin missing scoreable frees and possibly still being on par going in at HT a man down.

Spike

Quote from: Silver hill on November 13, 2023, 08:47:50 AMI was at the game and it happened right in front of us. McCann lifted his elbow into an unnatural position and caught Mcguckin on the jaw/cheek. Straight red all day long.

If you're going to come on from the Derry board at least get your facts correct. McGuckin just one of a number of Glen players who spent more time on the deck than on their feet feigning injuries.