Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

statto

Quote from: EOC1923 on October 11, 2023, 12:02:40 PM
Quote from: geezer on October 11, 2023, 11:43:26 AMHypothetically, if these were the teams to win their respective county championship, where do you think Cargin would rank?

Cross
Glen
Kilcoo
Derrygonnely
Errigal
Gowna
Glenties
Scotstown

Going by Paddy Power they have it as below, obviously this takes the draw etc into account.
1. Glen
2. Kilcoo
3. Crossmaglen
4. Glenties
5. Errigal
6. Scotstown
7. Cargin
8. Gowna
9. Derrygonnelly

I think current rankings should be

1.Glen
2. Kilcoo
3. Errigal Ciaran
4. Derrygonnelly
5. Scotstown
6. Cargin
7. Crossmaglen
8. Glenties
9. Gowna

Should be a good competition
Would rank Scotstown ahead of Derrygonnelly on a scoring power alone Carey, McCarron, McCarthy and Hughes(x2)would be hard talked too in relation to what Derrygonnelly have up top. 

imtommygunn

I think Cargin would beat Derrygonnelly . Scotstown decent but the Hughes's are getting on a bit so unsure on them. I wouldn't be convinced they'll get out of monaghan. (They aren't out of it yet are they?)

Caesar

Quote from: Lár na páirce 1 on October 11, 2023, 03:15:41 PMSo the most open championship in years according to some on here and it's still cargin as champions!! some love in with Dunloys style on here as two weeks too yet when it came to it they pulled every man behind their own 45 within the first minute even
Guess the "experience" told in the end for an oul done Cargin team.

This notion that Dunloy were 'a breath of fresh air' and 'played with freedom' that I keep hearing is nonsense IMO. They set up with 14 men behind the ball in every game. That's not having a go at them, fair play to them, but some of this rhetoric about them has been rubbish.

Cargin still one step ahead of everyone else. What will worry other clubs most is that Cargin didn't appear to be at their best throughout this championship and still won it comfortably.

Would ye whist

Amen to this, previously Dunloy came up against poorly organised defences who let them run through them (I think if Lynch had of been on they would not have beaten LD), when they came across a well drilled team they turned into a team of sideways hand passing zombies and when having to shoot under P they kept Jinny's midriff

Quote from: Caesar on October 11, 2023, 04:04:46 PM
Quote from: Lár na páirce 1 on October 11, 2023, 03:15:41 PMSo the most open championship in years according to some on here and it's still cargin as champions!! some love in with Dunloys style on here as two weeks too yet when it came to it they pulled every man behind their own 45 within the first minute even

This notion that Dunloy were 'a breath of fresh air' and 'played with freedom' that I keep hearing is nonsense IMO. They set up with 14 men behind the ball in every game. That's not having a go at them, fair play to them, but some of this rhetoric about them has been rubbish.

Cargin still one step ahead of everyone else. What will worry other clubs most is that Cargin didn't appear to be at their best throughout this championship and still won it comfortably.

InnocentByStander

Quote from: Would ye whist on October 11, 2023, 04:50:35 PMAmen to this, previously Dunloy came up against poorly organised defences who let them run through them (I think if Lynch had of been on they would not have beaten LD), when they came across a well drilled team they turned into a team of sideways hand passing zombies and when having to shoot under P they kept Jinny's midriff

Quote from: Caesar on October 11, 2023, 04:04:46 PM

Noticed Mcdermott on the line, does the mean he is making his way into the "inner circle"

paddyjohn

Oh an insider in the inner circle. A podcast will be happy at that

Hectic

Don't remember anyone saying Dunloy would win or have much of a chance on Sunday.

I also think what people liked about them was that they were so direct when they attacked.

They were a counter attacking team for sure but very direct when they turned the ball over.

But it is also true that worked against weaker teams than Cargin who simply didn't leave them as much space to run into despite being a man down.

As for an open championship. Maybe open in terms of chances of getting to a final, and that certainly proved to be the case, but we are seriously short of strong teams right now!

EOC1923

Quote from: Hectic on October 12, 2023, 10:07:48 AMDon't remember anyone saying Dunloy would win or have much of a chance on Sunday.

I also think what people liked about them was that they were so direct when they attacked.

They were a counter attacking team for sure but very direct when they turned the ball over.

But it is also true that worked against weaker teams than Cargin who simply didn't leave them as much space to run into despite being a man down.

As for an open championship. Maybe open in terms of chances of getting to a final, and that certainly proved to be the case, but we are seriously short of strong teams right now!
Quote from: Hectic on October 12, 2023, 10:07:48 AMDon't remember anyone saying Dunloy would win or have much of a chance on Sunday.

You may not of said out right Dunloy had a chance but you did mention cyncial fouling in the build up, and how the referee would deal with it would be a factor, hinting Cargin would have to resort to this tactic to stop this free flowing wonderful Dunloy team  ;D  ;D

Spike

Quote from: Hectic on October 12, 2023, 10:07:48 AMAs for an open championship. Maybe open in terms of chances of getting to a final, and that certainly proved to be the case, but we are seriously short of strong teams right now!

It feels quite difficult to keep people happy on here and appears to be repeated each year.  A month ago the Antrim Championship was being lauded as open and anyone could win, a number of good teams now serious contenders and a county team on the up.  Cargin win and now both they and the other teams are poor. The Tyrone championship is unique in that it is very strong but going through the others you would give any of the Antrim top 5 a chance against the other ulster counties top 5.   

Barring huge upsets (which can happen) Glen are miles ahead of the others in Derry, Kilcoo and Burren the only standouts in Down. Glenties are a quality outfit and they get little credit on here.    The top half of the Antrim league is generally in good shape, the lower half not so much.   

Lár na páirce 1

Quote from: Spike on October 12, 2023, 12:21:25 PM
Quote from: Hectic on October 12, 2023, 10:07:48 AMAs for an open championship. Maybe open in terms of chances of getting to a final, and that certainly proved to be the case, but we are seriously short of strong teams right now!

It feels quite difficult to keep people happy on here and appears to be repeated each year.  A month ago the Antrim Championship was being lauded as open and anyone could win, a number of good teams now serious contenders and a county team on the up.  Cargin win and now both they and the other teams are poor. The Tyrone championship is unique in that it is very strong but going through the others you would give any of the Antrim top 5 a chance against the other ulster counties top 5.   

Barring huge upsets (which can happen) Glen are miles ahead of the others in Derry, Kilcoo and Burren the only standouts in Down. Glenties are a quality outfit and they get little credit on here.    The top half of the Antrim league is generally in good shape, the lower half not so much.   

Glenties a serious outfit is that 7 Donegal finals in a row now and throw in an Ulster club final along with that too yet we beat them last year and got little credit for it ,they will be in Ulster semi final at least this year too a well drilled hard outfit

Milltown Row2

There seems to be a hard done by approach here from some

Not sure how that has come about, or looking to get credit for beating a Div 3 team in the final. ;) 

Facts of the matter is this Cargin are the only show in town, that's been evident from getting that lucky goal against us  ;D , I jest...

The attitude from the players from my perspective is top drawer, haven't seen that matched this year or last few any time I've been involved in their games.

Think Mick was talking about disrespect or lack of, after the final, not sure who that's was directed too, not many would, with all seriousness, say they haven't been the top team, so not sure whos disrespecting them.

So this will be 7 runs at Ulster championship, big win last year and now another go at the Derry champions..
Seasoned campaigners in Ulster
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gold

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 12, 2023, 01:18:12 PMThere seems to be a hard done by approach here from some

Not sure how that has come about, or looking to get credit for beating a Div 3 team in the final. ;) 

Facts of the matter is this Cargin are the only show in town, that's been evident from getting that lucky goal against us  ;D , I jest...

The attitude from the players from my perspective is top drawer, haven't seen that matched this year or last few any time I've been involved in their games.

Think Mick was talking about disrespect or lack of, after the final, not sure who that's was directed too, not many would, with all seriousness, say they haven't been the top team, so not sure whos disrespecting them.

So this will be 7 runs at Ulster championship, big win last year and now another go at the Derry champions..

I hope Cargin represent us well and win Ulster.

Appreciate its a different level and not easy, especially when sleep walking through Antrim and then met with hard, flying runners, tacklers etc.

The chip on the shoulder thing is mad though. Cargin clearly the best in Antrim and I gave Dunloy no chance, being slated for saying I hoped they at least had a go.

Glenties game was genuinely lucky for Cargin last year, Glenties could have been out of sight but Cargin hung in and got level by hoofing in high balls that 9 times out of 10 don't result in a goal.

I was disappointed they then played within themselves and tried not to get hammered by Glen. They literally didn't have a shot from play in the first half.
Galls used to play on their own terms and beat many teams in Ulster playing that way

I appreciate going toe to toe may have resulted in a hammering so damned if they did etc

But I'd leave the chip on the shoulder shite to Tyrone people (who you always get a rise out of!)and answer any critics on the field in Ulster.

Cargin the best by far from here and I genuinely hope they push on this year...though Glen or Slaughtneil are admittedly the toughest draw bar Kilcoo.

A quality team but won't get the kudos Galls got till push on in Ulster. I hope you do.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

breakingball

Agree, naomh conaill dominated the game, they had Cargin beat, two or three times, and only for Hail Mary sort of stuff Cargin managed to bring the game to extra time and then get over the line. cargin did get over the line though and credit to them for that but it was day-light robbery.

Quote from: Gold on October 12, 2023, 01:57:22 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 12, 2023, 01:18:12 PMThere seems to be a hard done by approach here from some

Appreciate its a different level and not easy, especially when sleep walking through Antrim and then met with hard, flying runners, tacklers etc.

The chip on the shoulder thing is mad though. Cargin clearly the best in Antrim and I gave Dunloy no chance, being slated for saying I hoped they at least had a go.

Glenties game was genuinely lucky for Cargin last year, Glenties could have been out of sight but Cargin hung in and got level by hoofing in high balls that 9 times out of 10 don't result in a goal.

I was disappointed they then played within themselves and tried not to get hammered by Glen. They literally didn't have a shot from play in the first half.
Galls used to play on their own terms and beat many teams in Ulster playing that way

I appreciate going toe to toe may have resulted in a hammering so damned if they did etc

But I'd leave the chip on the shoulder shite to Tyrone people (who you always get a rise out of!)and answer any critics on the field in Ulster.

Cargin the best by far from here and I genuinely hope they push on this year...though Glen or Slaughtneil are admittedly the toughest draw bar Kilcoo.

A quality team but won't get the kudos Galls got till push on in Ulster. I hope you do.

country bumpkin

Quote from: breakingball on October 12, 2023, 07:05:10 PMAgree, naomh conaill dominated the game, they had Cargin beat, two or three times, and only for Hail Mary sort of stuff Cargin managed to bring the game to extra time and then get over the line. cargin did get over the line though and credit to them for that but it was day-light robbery.

Quote from: Gold on October 12, 2023, 01:57:22 PM

Jeez such utter tripe from bb, and similar rubbish from G...

Not worthy of comment...green eyes with poor memory with vision blurred by jealousy.....

country bumpkin

So, which other team other than Gall's or Cargin has made it through the first round of Ulster in the past 20 years....?