Tyrone v Derry (mk 2)

Started by tyroneman, February 06, 2011, 10:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheamy

Quote from: Club Rossa on February 07, 2011, 08:31:50 AM
Was a lovely tribute that Derry chairman John Keenan penned in the programme yesterday about Michaela.

couldn't agree more. Summed it all up to perfection.

clarshack

derry were for the taking yesterday and we will probably never have a better chance to have won in celtic park.

we really cant afford to drop any more points if we want to get promoted.

brian mcguigan and niall mckenna were outstanding yesterday. think mckenna should start in midfield from now on.

does anyone else think stephen o'neill is done?

nrico2006

Quote from: clarshack on February 07, 2011, 09:39:54 AM
derry were for the taking yesterday and we will probably never have a better chance to have won in celtic park.

brian mcguigan and niall mckenna were outstanding yesterday. think mckenna should start in midfield from now on.

Very early in the season to be questioning whether SON is finished, I would reserve opinion until later in the year.  It would be interesting to see how he fares if he gets a run at it from now until Championship injury free, don't forget that the last two years he has missed the majority of the first 6 months due to injury which obviously have a knock on to his form during the games.  I am sure the players are nowehere near their peak fitness or sharpness levels now, give the man a break.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

HiMucker

Quote from: Bluebell on February 07, 2011, 01:05:45 AM
Quote from: ONeill on February 06, 2011, 11:56:56 PM
On the other hand, I'm probably doing Derry a disservice. Tyrone only scored 0-7 from play today compared to Derry's 1-10 from play.

The scores we have scored from play today and in all our 5 games has been the thing which has impressed me the most this season.

Any footage of the games League Sunday didn't provide any coverage at all on this fixture. Was looking to see highlights of the game today and for a view of Emmet McGuckin's superb 1st point. Did Jerome cover today's match?
Stayed up to watch it, and was bloody dissapointed to find it was not to be shown

tbrick18

Quote from: HiMucker on February 07, 2011, 11:19:53 AM
On the other hand, I'm probably doing Derry a disservice. Tyrone only scored 0-7 from play today compared to Derry's 1-10 from play.

The scores we have scored from play today and in all our 5 games has been the thing which has impressed me the most this season.

Any footage of the games League Sunday didn't provide any coverage at all on this fixture. Was looking to see highlights of the game today and for a view of Emmet McGuckin's superb 1st point. Did Jerome cover today's match?
Stayed up to watch it, and was bloody dissapointed to find it was not to be shown

+1  >:(

J OGorman

Quote from: tyroneman on February 06, 2011, 07:27:53 PM
Better team lost today. Tyrone dominated posession but shot themselves out of it. Any 1 of cavanaghs 2 easy frees or either of the point blank goal chances put over the bar would have drawn the game. Shooting was brutal.

Derry pulled and hauled at Tyrone all day long with Duffy choosing to ignore most of it. 2 sideline balls given back to Derry (1 for a score) didn't help either.

Really feel we left the game behind us. Derry were average from MF onwards, Bradley excepted. Why Harte didn't sort that out early doors I don't know. As said before 1 on 1 he's near unmarkable.

McGuigan was a joy to watch and unlike last year seems to have got a wee burst of speed back and was skipping round people all day. McKenna jnr looked like McKenna Snr at times.

Hopefully Mattie D and Coney will integrate this year and give us some firepower, which we lack at present.

I'm not having that. How did the better team lose yesterday? More possession does not make ye's the better team. So, by your logic...Derry had less possession and less chances, yet scored more and missed less yet Tyrone were the better team.

J OGorman

Quote from: tbrick18 on February 07, 2011, 11:20:49 AM
Quote from: HiMucker on February 07, 2011, 11:19:53 AM

+1  >:(

+2

clarshack

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 07, 2011, 10:33:07 AM
Quote from: clarshack on February 07, 2011, 09:39:54 AM

Very early in the season to be questioning whether SON is finished, I would reserve opinion until later in the year.  It would be interesting to see how he fares if he gets a run at it from now until Championship injury free, don't forget that the last two years he has missed the majority of the first 6 months due to injury which obviously have a knock on to his form during the games.  I am sure the players are nowehere near their peak fitness or sharpness levels now, give the man a break.

hope that's the case, but it looks like he has a lot of work to do.

we need him back to his best again, as we are struggling up front - the amount of very scoreable chances being kicked wide (between yesterday and the dublin game) is very worrying.

Fuzzman

I recorded it myself on sky+ and the info on sky didn't mention the match. Suppose they've to focus on Div 1

Its no harm us being out of the limelight for a while. Trial by TV is over rated.

Wonder how Mugsy will do this year?
I thought he played well last year at was much more of a team player.
How long was he in Aus for?

What's the story with Skinner? Is he injured or huffed again?
Could Derry be dark horses this year with that Derry forward line looking a lot more balanced?

Rick O Shea

Quote from: Fuzzman on February 07, 2011, 11:39:57 AM
What's the story with Skinner? Is he injured or huffed again?
Could Derry be dark horses this year with that Derry forward line looking a lot more balanced?

Suspended for ah... erm... ah... minor interference with a referee  :P
I'm sure he's due back very soon though.

Fuzzman

Oh yes I forgot that
How long did he get?

If Brennan can get that forward line working with the 2 Bradleys and change their attitude as he seems to have don't with Paddy then I for one would not like to meet Derry again.
Mind you I was amazed how poor they were last year in Casement v Tyrone
No FIGHT in them at all

Rick O Shea

Quote from: Fuzzman on February 07, 2011, 11:51:44 AM
Oh yes I forgot that
How long did he get?

If Brennan can get that forward line working with the 2 Bradleys and change their attitude as he seems to have don't with Paddy then I for one would not like to meet Derry again.
No FIGHT in them at all

48 weeks reduced to 24 on appeal...
Just checked back - it happened on 28th August; 24 weeks is this saturday 12th February but i don't know if the 'close' season of November & December adds on 8 weeks??

J OGorman

Quote from: Rick O Shea on February 07, 2011, 12:05:41 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on February 07, 2011, 11:51:44 AM
Oh yes I forgot that
How long did he get?

No FIGHT in them at all

48 weeks reduced to 24 on appeal...
Just checked back - it happened on 28th August; 24 weeks is this saturday 12th February but i don't know if the 'close' season of November & December adds on 8 weeks??

think the suspension is up this weekend

Club Rossa

Yeah,his suspension is up this Saturday.

Oak Leaf Magazine

John Keenan's chairman's welcome from yesterday's programme

Fáilte on Chathaoirligh

Ba mhaith liom mar Chathaoirleach Bord na Chondae Dhoire failte a chúir romhaibh go leir anseo inniu chuig Pairc na gCeilteach.

As Chairman of Derry County Board, I would like to welcome you all today to Celtic Park for this game to kick off the 2011 Allianz GAA National League. 

Encounters between our two counties require no previews or hype to increase the anticipation for this fixture, although I feel the result of today's game has faded in significance.

I don't know of a more intense rivalry within this island than that exists between our two counties, but that succumbed to irrelevance last month with the tragic murder of Michaela McAreavey on the island of Mauritius. 

An entire nation shared in the grief and total disbelief at what happened, and 'Oakleaf' and 'Red Hand' along with the combined GAA family, stood shoulder to shoulder in solidarity mourning this tragic loss.

How a girl who practiced and demonstrated such generosity of spirit and unselfishness could meet with such a barbaric and cruel end, are mysteries beyond our comprehension.

As fathers, many of us cannot even attempt to contemplate the horror and heartbreak endured by Mickey Harte and his family, and Michaela's new husband John McAreavey, whilst they struggle to make sense of the tragic events that unfolded.

On behalf of all Derry Gaels, footballers, officials and supporters, I wish to extend our sincerest sympathies and offer the condolences and prayers of our entire county.

No words of mine, on top of the countless tributes already made, can ease the load that will have to be carried by the Harte and McAreavey families in the weeks and months ahead. 

For them the long road to a return to some form of normality has to be attempted, for the rest of us, today is just a game.

Ar lámh dheas Dé go raibh a hanam uasal.

Séan Ó Cianáin

Cathaoirleach Coiste Chontae Dhoire