CPA (Club Players Association)

Started by ck, October 18, 2016, 12:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 11, 2017, 02:43:21 PM
Quote from: Zulu on January 11, 2017, 01:25:24 PM
What facts have you stated?

I know you can read so I won't copy and paste. Go on, deny that they're facts. Tell me they're opinions and try to tie me down in semantics rather than argue the case. Anyone who doesn't believe those assertions to be true is deluded or else just won't admit it.

If you've posted any facts in this thread I haven't read them despite being able to read.

OgraAnDun

If there was a complete division between county and club sides, with no county players ever playing for their clubs until retirement from the county game, would many people even bother going to county matches? I know I certainly wouldn't.

Zulu

Quote from: joemamas on January 11, 2017, 02:06:24 PM
Quote from: joemamas on January 10, 2017, 09:45:23 PM
Zulu,

Your point about the need for organizing is well made, however what exactly does the GPA stand for and who is it supposed to benefit, who really benefits from it, and lastly roughly what % of IC players truly benefit from it.

Loaded Q's maybe, but my antenna went up on this organization, a few years back when Mayo played NY in the Connacht Championship in NY. As far as I am aware, the GPA sent a retired Dublin player and a retired Kildare player out to NY as representatives. Now I don't begrudge them in one bit, as they sure put some serious time in on the field, but were there no retired players in the province of Connacht that could have been sent out. To me it smelt of eliteism. I hope I am wrong on this.

I totally understand where the CPA wants to go on this and I support them, and no to digress, but I hope it shows up the provincial councils for what they are when it comes to fixtures. Two months to play six games in some provinces, they could easily be played in half the time.
Throw in the tradition of The all-Ireland finals being played four weeks after a semi-final and it is a no brainer what needs to be done.

Can anybody have a stab at answering the above.
I went on their website today for the first time, and my first impression is that the PR person is doing one hell of a job.
Just out of curiosity, I clicked on USA link, mother of God, what a load of BS, promoting games in the US, yeah right, promoting fundraising. Great photo op in times square  ::)
Such a load of sh*it, Hurricane Sandy photo op in Breezey point, how long did they spend there helping to rebuild ??.

Zulu, I am sure deep down you are a genuine GAA person, but is it not difficult to skeptical of the whole lot of it.

See Joe, this is the type of thing that gets my back up about the anti-GPA stuff. You say that 'deep down' I'm a genuine a GAA man but I'm GAA through and through. However, some people seem very quick to climb up on the high moral ground and label people as lesser GAA men simply because they support an IC players representative body.

Myself and Rossfan (from my reading of his posts) are exactly the same, genuine GAA men who go from one end of the year to the other in the real world hardly thinking or talking about the GPA. However, we defend them here because some of the criticism of them is outlandish and often, unsubstantiated. I think they are doing some good work for a very important section of the GAA so good luck to them. The challenges I face working at the coalface are neither helped nor hindered by the GPA so if they help lads with depression or upskill them for better job opportunities that's fine by me.

Zulu

Quote from: OgraAnDun on January 11, 2017, 05:41:23 PM
If there was a complete division between county and club sides, with no county players ever playing for their clubs until retirement from the county game, would many people even bother going to county matches? I know I certainly wouldn't.

Tens of thousands I'd imagine.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Zulu on January 11, 2017, 05:44:38 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on January 11, 2017, 05:41:23 PM

Tens of thousands I'd imagine.

I don't think so, when a lot of the best players (outside of the metropolis) playing only for their club, the great link between clubs and the county would be lost and a lot of supporters with it.

Zulu

Sorry you said county players only playing for their club after retirement so I was basing it on most county players picking county. If that was the case then the crowds would still be huge. If a lot of the better players picked club it would be a bit different but the county teams challenging for top honours would still get massive crowds.

Avondhu star

Quote from: The Trap on January 11, 2017, 01:49:02 PM
The Dubs on here are happy with how things are......they are winning Sams with their professional outfit, their players mostly (Connolly an honourable exception) don't give a f**k about club football, their clubs have players coming out of their ears and all is rosy in the garden.
They don't see what is going on in the rest of the country. Soon they will have very few teams to hammer on their way to total domination and there will be no fun in that!
I wouldnt necessarily agree with that. Our club had one player on the Dublin panel fof about four years. He was never a first pick and was used during league games and early championship games with maybe the occasional 15 minutes as a sub.
We lost Div 1 status in the league by three league points. Our best player was kept from us by Dublin management and I have no doubt his availability would have kept us in Div.1. Now in Div 2 for three years and the same thing is going on. The plsyer doesnt seem to mind as he has the "Dublin player" tag with all the goodies that goes with it. The club supporters have given up even considering him part of the club panel now
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Eamonnca1

Quotewhat exactly does the GPA stand for and who is it supposed to benefit

It started, supposedly, as a player welfare body but it seems to have gotten a bit carried away with itself. It now seems to see itself as an equal partner with the GAA rather than a subset of it, hence the branding of certain events as joint productions between the GAA and the GPA.

The Hurricane Sandy business was one of its more cynical moves. They sent a squad to New York to do some work for a good cause, but by God they made sure there was a full TV camera crew there to cover it. When they returned to NY later to reap the rewards from the resulting goodwill they openly bragged about how they were going to raise a million bucks with their "star-studded" gala. I don't know if they made it to a million or not but if the GAA top brass was throwing around language like that the pitchforks-and-torches crowd would be out in force giving out about the "Grab All Association."

And don't get me started on the Hurling Super Elevens business. Coming up with an alternative sport with professional trappings and as part of a networking event with all the big shots and big donors, while a crumb is thrown from the table to the local GAA units who were never even notified that the whole thing was happening. The North American GAA board was completely ignored in that little episode, they only heard about it through the media like everyone else. Imagine the GPA waltzing into your county with big plans to promote hurling and the local county board doesn't get a look in... it's a bit like that.

I haven't been following them closely of late, but I still view them with a certain amount of suspicion. If they thought they could start a professional hurling league in America they probably would, but the only thing stopping them is their members live on the other side of the Atlantic.

What grinds my gears about the GPA is their smash-and-grab approach to the USA. They see the place as an ATM from which they can withdraw money to line their pockets, while the people actually promoting the games in the US are given table scraps at best and completely ignored at worst.

Jinxy

Yeah, that hurling super elevens thing was an embarrassment.
Largely because of the contrived 'melee' that had the American fans so entertained, reinforcing every 'Oirish' stereotype.
Showing more fight in an exhibition game than you do in an All-Ireland final is classic 'Galway hurling'.  ::)
If you were any use you'd be playing.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 13, 2017, 02:07:31 AM

It started, supposedly, as a player welfare body but it seems to have gotten a bit carried away with itself. It now seems to see itself as an equal partner with the GAA rather than a subset of it, hence the branding of certain events as joint productions between the GAA and the GPA.

The Hurricane Sandy business was one of its more cynical moves. They sent a squad to New York to do some work for a good cause, but by God they made sure there was a full TV camera crew there to cover it. When they returned to NY later to reap the rewards from the resulting goodwill they openly bragged about how they were going to raise a million bucks with their "star-studded" gala. I don't know if they made it to a million or not but if the GAA top brass was throwing around language like that the pitchforks-and-torches crowd would be out in force giving out about the "Grab All Association."

And don't get me started on the Hurling Super Elevens business. Coming up with an alternative sport with professional trappings and as part of a networking event with all the big shots and big donors, while a crumb is thrown from the table to the local GAA units who were never even notified that the whole thing was happening. The North American GAA board was completely ignored in that little episode, they only heard about it through the media like everyone else. Imagine the GPA waltzing into your county with big plans to promote hurling and the local county board doesn't get a look in... it's a bit like that.

I haven't been following them closely of late, but I still view them with a certain amount of suspicion. If they thought they could start a professional hurling league in America they probably would, but the only thing stopping them is their members live on the other side of the Atlantic.

What grinds my gears about the GPA is their smash-and-grab approach to the USA. They see the place as an ATM from which they can withdraw money to line their pockets, while the people actually promoting the games in the US are given table scraps at best and completely ignored at worst.

Two things.

Firstly - the GPA is only following on from the GAA in regard to viewing the US as a cash cow. So I couldn't single them out for that.

Secondly - their attitude to the people who do the grassroots work here in Ireland is the same so don't feel left out in the US! 

joemamas

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 13, 2017, 10:10:45 AM

Two things.

Firstly - the GPA is only following on from the GAA in regard to viewing the US as a cash cow. So I couldn't single them out for that.

Secondly - their attitude to the people who do the grassroots work here in Ireland is the same so don't feel left out in the US!

Glad I am not the only one who views their hurricane Sandy trip as BS.
They should be absolutely ashamed of themselves for even attempting to capitalize on the back of people who lost everything, and I mean everything.
This is a fact, a lot of people in that area still have not even received insurance payments on their ruined properties. If the GPA were genuine, they would have donated a large portion of their fundraiser to those people. But photo ops seemed to be more the order of the day. Once again check out their website and click on USA.

One other note, being a grass roots member in the US is due to logistics, a bit more difficult than being a grass root member in Ireland. That is why their about their fundraising in the US is all the more questionable. The money raised was not pumped back into promoting games in the USA.

Last Q, anybody know did them employ a professional fundraiser for their "Gala" at the Plaza and how much were they paid. ??

Q for the people who support the GPA on this website, any way you can address the specific points raised about their antics in the USA.

To be fair to the GAA, to say that they view the US as a cash cow is totally inaccurate.
While in the past their purse string were never really open to sending a lot of money over to the USA, they never looked for any money whatsoever.

Jinxy

I'd say Seanie was referring to the likes of Kerry going over there for fundraising dinners etc.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Jinxy on January 13, 2017, 09:58:53 AM
Yeah, that hurling super elevens thing was an embarrassment.
Largely because of the contrived 'melee' that had the American fans so entertained, reinforcing every 'Oirish' stereotype.
Showing more fight in an exhibition game than you do in an All-Ireland final is classic 'Galway hurling'.  ::)

A weird dig to get in but whatever.

Zulu

Quote from: joemamas on January 13, 2017, 01:36:46 PM

Two things.

Glad I am not the only one who views their hurricane Sandy trip as BS.
They should be absolutely ashamed of themselves for even attempting to capitalize on the back of people who lost everything, and I mean everything.
This is a fact, a lot of people in that area still have not even received insurance payments on their ruined properties. If the GPA were genuine, they would have donated a large portion of their fundraiser to those people. But photo ops seemed to be more the order of the day. Once again check out their website and click on USA.

One other note, being a grass roots member in the US is due to logistics, a bit more difficult than being a grass root member in Ireland. That is why their about their fundraising in the US is all the more questionable. The money raised was not pumped back into promoting games in the USA.

Last Q, anybody know did them employ a professional fundraiser for their "Gala" at the Plaza and how much were they paid. ??

Q for the people who support the GPA on this website, any way you can address the specific points raised about their antics in the USA.

To be fair to the GAA, to say that they view the US as a cash cow is totally inaccurate.
While in the past their purse string were never really open to sending a lot of money over to the USA, they never looked for any money whatsoever.

Joe, is it ok for Mayo, Kerry and whoever else to go to the US and fundraise money that will never be spent on the grassroots in those countries? What's the difference between that and the GPA fundraising?

Zulu

Two things.

Again, I'd love you to point to the utopian time when every unit of the GAA all got along working in harmony for a better world. I'd have some concerns about the GPA and the future of the GAA but I defend them here because a lot of the criticism here is unsubstantiated nonsense that comes from people who strike me as the kind who would criticise them if they used their funding to cure cancer.

Atypical grassroots clubman GAAboard poster - "I'll give them credit for curing cancer but how many hurls and helmets could that money have bought for underage clubs? I also haven't seen them say club players can get the medicine, is it just for inter county players I wonder? I haven't seen them explicitly say we can all get it so I'm going to assume the worst about them and tell everyone as a fact that it is only for inter county players, the elitist bastards"