GAA journalism

Started by qwerty123, July 02, 2012, 12:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qwerty123

I picked up the the Sunday Times on the train yesterday, very interesting articles on it and it got me thinking about GAA journalism.

What's the best weekend newspaper to buy for GAA?

Best paper to buy on a Monday for match reviews?

Examiner?
Irish Times?

Indo is pretty poor fare I find, with serious space lost with O Rourke and Paidí, never mind some stupid make-believe diary.  Really loved the Tribune when it was still on the go, well-written articles, that felt like you were getting an insiders view. 

Best journalists:
Keith Duggan
Malachy Clerkin
Enda McEvoy
Denis Walsh
Christy O Connor

Duggan is obv in the Times, but where do you find the rest of them?

theticklemister

I find the Irish Star very good. I buy it for the sport............ and don't read 3/4s of the paper!

I particualrly like to read Ger Loughnane after a hurling weekend. The man commands so much respect that I find myself reading his article in his unique Clare accent. The paper has about 20 pages of GAA cover age and one thing about it, unlike the Irish News that it covers GAA from north to south and east to west. The Irish News is very partionist and gives the vast majority of its coverage to the teams from the 6 counties. I do like to read Paddy Heaney on a tuesday in the paper though.

The Irish Star is very colourful with plenty of pics it also breaks down all the big games into match changing decisions at the column of their main report of the game. The Irish News just does this for Ulster games.

From the Bunker

Stopped buying papers, especially if i've been to a game or seen it on the TV. They just end up regurgitating events with no insight or analysis.

From a preview point of view, i find the lowest of the low the Sunday World. Terrible muck. Spillane grabs a controversial theme and adds salt to it. Punch and Judy stuff. Roy Curtis throws his lot in, if the Pale (Dublin) or just beyond (Kildare and Meath) are involved or going well. And then there is ranting old fart Con Houlihan with his down memory lane stuff.

Croí na hÉireann

Christy O'Connor and Denis Walsh are in the Sunday Times, Keith Duggan and Malachy Clerkin are in the Times, Kieran Shannon in the Examiner is very good as well.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Ohtoohtobe

I know one thing, the standard of analysis by ex-players is generally awful. Ray Silke on the Examiner site this morning asserting that Kildare haven't made the last four under McGeeney.

Like, if a lad doesn't know who the All-Ireland semi-finalists were two seasons ago, how does he get this job in the first place?

Dinny Breen

I miss the Tribune - Shannon, McEvoy, Clerkin, even MacKenna who I might add is making a right tit of himself over the SJ saga...
#newbridgeornowhere

Plain of the Herbs

Enda has a colums in The Examiner on Saturdays, but only on the Saturdays when there is a big hurling match on that weekend.
Quote from: qwerty123 on July 02, 2012, 12:46:42 PM
Best journalists:
Keith Duggan
Malachy Clerkin
Enda McEvoy
Denis Walsh
Christy O Connor

heffo

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 02, 2012, 02:12:03 PM
I miss the Tribune - Shannon, McEvoy, Clerkin, even MacKenna who I might add is making a right tit of himself over the SJ saga...

I hope he's alright. He was a no show for the Examiner water cooler today and he was last seen tanked up firing off scorpy tweets in the middle of the night.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: heffo on July 02, 2012, 02:52:24 PM

I hope he's alright. He was a no show for the Examiner water cooler today and he was last seen tanked up firing off scorpy tweets in the middle of the night.

He did himself no favours with those tweets. Well out of order. Glad to see he had the good sense to delete them in the meantime.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 02, 2012, 03:03:00 PM

He did himself no favours with those tweets. Well out of order. Glad to see he had the good sense to delete them in the meantime.

Yea he's an emotional guy when it comes to Kildare football and I admire him for standing up for his opinion on the Kildare Forum but he's not the most objective when it comes to Kildare or Dublin football (very anti-Dublin), very subjective in his writing. He actually has an account on this forum too.
#newbridgeornowhere

heffo

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 02, 2012, 03:09:33 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 02, 2012, 03:03:00 PM

Yea he's an emotional guy when it comes to Kildare football and I admire him for standing up for his opinion on the Kildare Forum but he's not the most objective when it comes to Kildare or Dublin football (very anti-Dublin), very subjective in his writing. He actually has an account on this forum too.

I seen his post on the Kildare forum last year about joining a Dublin club and then said "don't fancy walking into a dressing room with 40 locals who've known each other since they were robbing houses together at 7" - I enjoy his weekly power rankings though.

Premier Emperor

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 02, 2012, 02:06:34 PM
Christy O'Connor and Denis Walsh are in the Sunday Times, Keith Duggan and Malachy Clerkin are in the Times, Kieran Shannon in the Examiner is very good as well.
Shannon and Walsh are the main drivers of the Cork PR machine.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: qwerty123 on July 02, 2012, 12:46:42 PM
I picked up the the Sunday Times on the train yesterday, very interesting articles on it and it got me thinking about GAA journalism.

What's the best weekend newspaper to buy for GAA?

Best paper to buy on a Monday for match reviews?

Examiner?
Irish Times?

Indo is pretty poor fare I find, with serious space lost with O Rourke and Paidí Paidi couldn't write his own name let alone a column, so that can be ignored, but O'Rourke's column is always wel written and common sense IMO, never mind some stupid make-believe diary.  Really loved the Tribune when it was still on the go, well-written articles, that felt like you were getting an insiders view. 

Best journalists:
Keith Duggan
Malachy Clerkin
Enda McEvoy
Denis Walsh
Christy O Connor

Apart from the red comment above, would just add that I think the standard of GAA journalism is appalling with only Kieran Shannon and a few others rising above the muck-standard stuff you get from Breheny, Roy Curtis and a few other buffoons.
I get the Examiner on Monday as it has a really good GAA section and covers local games in Kerry/Cork aswell, but apart from that would rarely bother with most "articles".

The example someone gave above of Ray Silke is a good one..how the hell does he have a job as an "analyst"? Clueless. Eugene McGee (current chairman of the Development committee or whatever it's called) was on the radio before the Kerry v Armagh game in 2006 saying that Kerry hadn't beaten an Ulster team in the c/ship in 20 years...Martin McHugh claimed yesterday that Diarmuid Connolly is in "the top 3 forwards in the country" (also stated that Derek Savage was better than Mauric Fitz a few years back)...
Breheny was chairman of the Allstar committee that picked Canavan ahead of Brian Mcguigan in 2005, and wrote an article attempting to justify it...invalidates anything he ever says in my opinion....I could go on.
You'd wonder sometimes whether these "experts" actually watch games at all!
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

5 Sams

Like him or loath him...Liam Hayes was good. Darragh Ó Sé's making a name for himself in the Times during the week.
The Aristocrat Years

sheamy

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on July 02, 2012, 02:09:20 PM
I know one thing, the standard of analysis by ex-players is generally awful. Ray Silke on the Examiner site this morning asserting that Kildare haven't made the last four under McGeeney.

Like, if a lad doesn't know who the All-Ireland semi-finalists were two seasons ago, how does he get this job in the first place?

Agree, he hasn't a clue as a pundit/hack. I thought that for a long time. He's like a young Eugene McGee. Just a stream of nonsensical and nonfactual stuff which is also strangely compelling.