Memorable Pieces of Commentary

Started by Quarterback, November 22, 2006, 09:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarterback

Looking back over the years, are there many good lines of commentary which stick out.  I no theres that rabbit chasing the fox and things like that but apart from that....A few that stick out in my memory are...

1983 A1 Final ' Kieran duff has apparently flatened someone over there on the far side........And hes been put off!'

1994 Ulster Semi Final 'Linden slips it to the pocket man.....the shot....the goal......!!

the green man

93 All-Ireland

"...Derry lift the seige, and Derry are the champions!"

Quarterback

05 Semi final

Milligan........still mulligan.......................MULLIGAN!!!!

SlimShady

was Spike playing for Tyrone that day?  :)

cavanmaniac

"It's a high, arcing ball into the box - an enterprising ball you might say - up goes Mulligan, a shock of blonde hair spearing the sky...he collects on his chest, where's the Kerry full-back? Oh defence in trouble here Mulligan pops it off to Canavan wheeling around the back, it's Peter Canavan (voice quickens) Peter Canavan bearing down...he sets his sights....OH-OH-OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH PEACHES AND CREAM, would you look at that, how do you like them apples Jack O'Connor!!!" - Ger Canning, All-Ireland final 2005.

Ah no wait, I just made that up there now.

Shamrock Shore

All Ireland Semi -final 1977. Michael O'Heiher.

"There's 15 minutes still to play......alleluia"

AbbeySider

I got these in an old email. Some are priceless!  Enjoy

Michael's O' Murahurtaigh classic GAA quotes

"Sean Og o Hailpín.... his father's from Fermanagh, his mother's from Fiji, neither a hurling stronghold"

"... and Brian Dooher is down injured. And while he is, i'll tell ye a little story. I was in Times' Square in New York last week, and I was missing the Championship back home. So I approached a newsstand and I said 'I suppose ye wouldn't have the Kerryman would ye?' To which, the Egyptian behind the counter turned to me and he said 'do you want the North Kerry edition or the South Kerry edition?'... he had both...so I bought both. And Dooher is back on his feet..."

"Anthony Lynch the Cork corner back will be the last person to let you down - his people are undertakers"

"I saw a few Sligo people at Mass in Gardiner street this morning and the omens seem to be good for them, the priest was wearing the same colours as the Sligo jersey! 40 yards out on the Hogan stand side of the field Ciaran Whelan goes on a rampage, its a goal. So much for religion."

"Colin Corkery on the 45 lets go with the right boot. Its over the bar.This man shouldn't be playing football. He's made an almost Lazarus-like recovery from a heart condition. Lazarus was a great man but he couldn't kick points like Colin Corkery.

"1-5 to 0-8.. well from Lapland to the Antarctic, that's level scores in any man's language".

"Pat Fox has it on his hurl and is motoring well now ... but here comes Joe Rabbitte hot on his tail ...... I've seen it all now, a Rabbitte chasing a Fox around Croke Park!"

"I see John O Donnell dispensing water on the sideline. Tipperary, sponsored by a water company. Cork Sponsored by a tae company. I wonder will they meet later for afternoon tae."

"Teddy looks at the ball, the ball looks at Teddy"

"Danny "The Yank" Culloty. He came down from the mountains and hasn't he done well"

"He grabs the sliotar, he's on the 50......he's on the 40......he's on the 30..........................he's on the ground"

"In the first half they played with the wind. In the second half they played with the ball".

"He kicks the ball lan san aer, could've been a goal, could've been a point.............it went wide."

"Stephen Byrne with the puck out for Offaly....Stephen, one of 12......all but one are here to-day, the one that's missing is Mary, she's at home minding the house.....and the ball is dropping i lar na bpairce...."

"Pat Fox out to the forty and grabs the sliothar, I bought a dog from his father last week. Fox turns and sprints for goal, the dog ran a great race last Tuesday in Limerick. Fox to the 21 fires a shot, it goes to the left and wide..... and the dog lost as well"

"Teddy McCarthy to John McCarthy, no relation, John McCarthy back
to Teddy McCarthy, still no relation

Six Inch Nail

My favourite:

"What a point by Colin Corkery.  The man has made an almost Lazarus like recovery from a serious illness.  Lazarus was a great man but he couldn't kick points like Colin Corkery".

Micheal O Muircheartaigh, not sure when exactly.
Silverbridge Harps GAC, Co. Armagh

J70

I'll have to see if I can find it, but O'Mhuireartaigh (sp???) did one on Noel Hegarty in the middle of a game, telling how he was up in Falcarragh during the week selling sheep or something!

robertemmet

You beat me to that "lift the siege one" there Green man.  Here is another one from 1993.

Eamon Coleman during half time interview "Cahalane should have went.  If you strek in the game you must go, Cahalane struck and didn't go"

Rossfan

Willie Hegarty - last couple of minutes from Ennis 23 rd September 2006 !!!! ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Forgot me Boots

Heres loads, sorry some are repeats but i couldnt be bothered taking them out.

1.      I love Cork so much that if I caught one of their hurlers in bed

with my missus, I'd tiptoe downstairs and make him a cup of tea"- Joe Lynch, actor.

2.      "We've won one All-Ireland in a row"-Wexford Fan in 1996.

3.      "The toughest match I ever heard off was the 1935 All-Ireland Semi-Final. After 6 minutes, the ball ricocheted off a post and went into the stand. The pulling continued relentlessly and it was 22 minutes before any of the players noticed the ball was missing" - Michael Smith.

4.      "Sylvie Linnane would start a riot in a graveyard"-Tipp fan on the Galway legend.

5.      "I'm not giving away any secrets like that to Tipperary. If I had my way, I wouldn't even tell them the time of the throw-in" - Ger Loughnane.

6.  "He's like Lazarus; but Lazarus didn't have such a sweet right boot"
Micheal O'Muircheartaigh on Colin Corkery.

7.      "Whenever a team loses, there's always a row at half time but when they win, it's an inspirational speech"-John O'Mahony.

8.      "There are 2 things in Ireland that would drive you to drink. GAA referees would drive you to drink, and the price of drink would drive you to drink"-Sligo Fan after 2002 Connact final.

9.      'Life isn't all beer and football...some of us haven't touched a football in months' - Kerry player during league campaign 1980s

10.     "When my friends were besotted with Jason Donovan, my heroes were Colm O'Rourke and Barney Rock"-Sue Ramsbottom (Laois Ladies Captain).

11.     'We're taking this match awful seriously. We're training three times a week now, and some of the boys are off the beer since Tuesday' - Offaly hurler quote in the week before a Leinster hurling final vs. Kilkenny

12.     'Ger Loughnane was fair, he treated us all the same during training-like dogs' -anonymous Clare hurler

13.     'Any chance of an autograph? Its for the wife...she really hates you' - Tipp fan to Ger Loughnane

14.     'You can't win derbies with donkeys' - Babs Keating before Tipp played Cork in 1990

15.     'Sheep in a heap' -Babs Keating description of Offaly in 1998

16.     'Babs Keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue.
The players were sick and tired of him' - Offaly fan in 1998

17.     'And as for you. You're not even good enough to play for this shower of useless no-hopers' - Former Clare mentor to one of his subs after a heavy defeat

18.     'Babs Keating was arrested in Nenagh for shaking a cigarette  machine,but the gardai let him off when he said he only wanted to borrow twenty players' - Waterford fan after 2002 Munster final

19.     'They have a forward line that couldn't punch holes in a paper bag'  Pat Spillane on the Cavan football team

20.     'Meath players like to get their retaliation in first' - Cork fan 1998

21.     'Meath make football a colourful game-you get all black and blue'another Cork fan 1988

22.     'Colin Corkery is deceptive. He is slower than he looks' – Kerry fan

More from the master Micheal O!

"In the first half they played with the wind. In the second half they played with the ball."

"... and Brian Dooher is down injured. And while he is, i'll tell ye a little story. I was in Times' Square in New York last week, and I was missing the Championship back home. So I approached a newsstand and I said 'I suppose ye wouldn't have the Kerryman (Paper) would ye?' To which, the Egyptian behind the counter turned to me and he said 'do you want the North Kerry edition or the South Kerry edition?'... he had both...so I bought both. And Dooher is back on his feet..."

"Anthony Lynch the Cork corner back will be the last person to let you down, his people are undertakers."

"I saw a few Sligo people at Mass in Gardiner street this morning and the omens seem to be good for them, the priest was wearing the same colours as the Sligo jersey! 40 yards out on the Hogan stand side of the field Ciaran Whelan goes on a rampage, it's a goal. So much for religion."

Colin Corkery on the 45 lets go with the right boot. Its over the bar. This man shouldn't be playing football. He's made an almost Lazarus-like recovery from a heart condition. Lazarus was a great man but he couldn't kick points like Colin Corkery."

"1-5 to 0-8.. well from Lapland to the Antarctic, that's level scores in any man's language."

"Pat Fox has it on his hurl and is motoring well now... but here comes Joe Rabbitte hot on his tail ...... I've seen it all now, a Rabbitte chasing a Fox around Croke Park!"
"I see John O Donnell dispensing water on the sideline. Tipperary,sponsored by a water company. Cork sponsored by a tae company. I wonder will they meet later for afternoon tae."

"Teddy looks at the ball, the ball looks at Teddy"

"Danny "The Yank" Culloty. He came down from the mountains and hasn't he done well."
"He grabs the sliotar, he's on the 50...... he's on
the 40.... he's on the 30.......... he's on the ground"

"He kicks the ball lan san aer, could've been a goal, could've been a point...... it went wide."

"Stephen Byrne with the puck out for Offaly....Stephen, one of 12....all but one are here to-day, the one that's missing is Mary, she's at home minding the house..... and the ball is dropping i lar na bpairce...."

"Pat Fox out to the forty and grabs the sliothar, I bought a dog from his father last week. Fox turns and sprints for goal, the dog ran a great race last Tuesday in Limerick. Fox to the 21 fires a shot, it goes to the left and wide..... and the dog lost as well."

"Sean Og o Hailpin.... his father's from Fermanagh, his mother's from Fiji, neither a hurling stronghold."

"Teddy McCarthy to John McCarthy, no relation, John McCarthy back to Teddy McCarthy, still no relation. "

ONeill

"The game has now ended" - Omagh announcer, 30 seconds after the game had ended.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hardy

:D Aye - the announcers are great.

'Patrons wishing to go to the toilets at half time should use the passage under the stand' - Portlaoise, 2003.

'Don't go to the stand turnstiles. The stand is now full. I repeat, the stand is now full.  I think' - Navan, 2002.

Shamrock Shore

"would you hurry up with the kickout goalie"

Longford pa blurts into life at the end of a Nat League Game as the opposition goalie takes his time with minutes to go.