Refusal to allow kids to transfer clubs could lead to them quitting GAA.....

Started by DUBSFORSAM1, March 31, 2007, 02:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

1 - 4 of his teammates have already had transfers approved...so there was no problem approving them transfers....
2 - 10 of his teammates have either quit or have taken up rugby.....
Where are you getting that from?

Dubsforsam, I assume you're from the big city and therefore have no idea about rural clubs.  There are an awful lot of children who go to school outside their club area and make friends, where the f**k would we be if they all started moving to the clubs where they go to school?  Anyways it has nothing to do with that, a clear case of glory hunting. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

deiseach

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on April 01, 2007, 01:50:15 AM
So that is probably a large part of hte people who he knew and played with........and all he wants to do now is play with his friends where he goes to school.....what good does forcing him to stay where he doesn't want to do????

The question still remains: what rule would you like to see govern the registration of players with clubs? It seems you want a free-for-all like exists in soccer. Now there's nothing inherently wrong with that, but for the GAA the effects would be at best unpredictable and at worst catastrophic as clubs like, well, Athgarvan would not survive such a Darwinian scenario.

This is a hard case. But hard cases make bad law.

INDIANA

If the gaa start being this archaic in the application of their laws- we may as well give it up and hand over to rugby. People wouldn't believe the imapct of rugby -certainly in dublin anyway in the last 2 years. My area which is an absolute no rugby area - now has kids teams at all levels. We have a fight on our hand to keep the youth interested when they are being bombarded with images of bod and poc etc- if the move means that they might keep playing the gaa as oppose to rugby -then it should be sanctioned- for christ's sake they are only 13/14

pintsofguinness

And if we're going to allow anyone to transfer anywhere they want and glory hunt we may as well give up. 
What's next?  We'd let Mattie Forde or anyone else  off a suspension because the papers say he'll give up GAA? 

INDIANA

you have to take each case on its merits- but like i said up  north i don't believe there is any realisation of the threat of rugby in the south.I'm staggered by it's impact quite frankly- i was always a sceptic who thought it would blow over but it's impact even in areas like tallaght in dublin is astonsihing.
Two young lads who in my view should be allowed to transfer it's means keeping them playing the game.the Mattie forde example is completely different- i'm talking specifically u18 we have a real fight on our hands keeping people interested and the opening of croke park really didn't help matters. The transfer system in the Gaa i my view is outdated. Players will always gravitate to the stronger clubs in some instances - from my experience if a player wants to move he will -even if he has to wait 12 months which means he is a free agent- why bother holding up the process for 12 months when he's going to move anyway?
the Thomas Walsh issue is a different scenario but this seems to me to be two kids who want to move to a stronger club- hardly breaking news- i don't believe the same transfer policy should exist at underage level- i think it's counter-productive in the modern era it was ok 20 years ago when gaa was everyone's number one choice

pintsofguinness

OUTDATED?   
The greatest thing about the GAA is the club system.  If some players don't buy into that then fine, let them f**k off and do whatever they want.  I don't see any point in trying to make a player play for a team they don't want to but on the other hand I see no reason why we should make it easy for them to move.   
Let u18 players move to whereever they want? What do you think that would do to rural clubs?  Destroy them!

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 01, 2007, 02:18:59 AM
1 - 4 of his teammates have already had transfers approved...so there was no problem approving them transfers....
2 - 10 of his teammates have either quit or have taken up rugby.....
Where are you getting that from?

Dubsforsam, I assume you're from the big city and therefore have no idea about rural clubs.  There are an awful lot of children who go to school outside their club area and make friends, where the f**k would we be if they all started moving to the clubs where they go to school?  Anyways it has nothing to do with that, a clear case of glory hunting. 
PINTSOFGUINNESS

That information was in the article already if you had bothered to read it.....If all his friends/teammates from teh club were still there he would be likely to play for them but they have nearly all left....

Please provide evidence of the glory hunting???? Not just a guess or anything.....

We complain that rugby/soccer provide a huge threat to the GAA and then don't do anything to keep kids interested.....

INDIANA

but they will move anyway - i don't know of any case in dublin where a player who wanted to move didn't eventually move. even it was 12 months later.

pintsofguinness

Sorry dubsforsam I missed that line in the article but we're not told why 4 of his teammates have transfered.

If you don't think it's glory hunting then you need to take your head out of the sand.

QuoteWe complain that rugby/soccer provide a huge threat to the GAA and then don't do anything to keep kids interested.....
What like break our rules?  If you want us to break our rules to keep kids interested what else would you have us do, maybe we could pay them! 

What exactly and you and Indiana advocating here, that anyone can transfer to what ever club they want?

DUBSFORSAM1

Pintsofguinness

14 of his teammates from his club team have left - ie all the kids he would have played with and been friendly with......so is it not understandable he would like to play with his current friends - where other family members are in the same club also....

I don;t see why kids should be deprived or barriers put in their way to play the game especially when its harder and harder to keep kids......when you see county players moving and adults moving its hard to see why they should be refused....especially when its an amateur game.........I know if my kids wanted to move clubs becuase they would be happier elsewhere etc and they were refused I wouldn't be happy about it..

pintsofguinness

Dubs adult players move clubs because they move home  and it's no longer possible for them to play with their club.  These children aren't in that situation, they just want to move to a bigger club where they might win something. 
Take any underage player in any club and they'll have friends from other clubs, we can't let them all move to play with their friends! 
You're advocating letting children move so they'll play our game, but that's just cutting off your nose despite your face, what happens our rural clubs?? 

And yes I know some adult players move to glory hunt and they need a good kicking.

INDIANA

"Dubs adult players move clubs because they move home  and it's no longer possible for them to play with their club.  These children aren't in that situation, they just want to move to a bigger club where they might win something.  "

in 90% of cases in dublin they move to win something not because they move house. we'd all like it to be different but it isn't some teams will always be better than others and people will transfer whether they have to wait 12 months or not. i'd hate to think we're losing underage players to other sports because of this

Captain Scarlet

They may quit because they can't play with their friends!!! now are you telling me these lads have no friends playing with them in athgarvan. the parenst are fuckin tossers and that arguement is null and void.

then they may go to play rugby...when? so they will be playing nothing in the off season ie the GAA season.

these lads are gossurs and when you were that age did you really even think about transferring clubs. ideas like this are planted without doubt. when we were all U14 just playing was great.

its all the parents who obviously have no real love for athgarvan. these lads could help the team become a force if they are so good and help the club.
i have huge respect for the likes of derek mccormack who is putting ballykelly on the map.

i am disgusted at the usual sound cliona foley for printing this poo.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

dubnut

Agree this is a fecking disgrace, its one thing if you move home, but to request a move FROM the village you live in, who already struggle to field teams, well thats the sort of thing to destroy a rural club.

I suspect the parents are 100% behind this.

The whole mentality is that winning things is paramount as opposed to having pride in your local jersey.
I believe these are the people the GAA can do without.

brokencrossbar1

I lived all my childhood in Cullyhanna parish and went to Cullyhanna scholl.  I had and still to have many firends I played schools football with.  I never wanted to play for Cullyhanna.  As a child growing up the most of my friends played for Silverbridge, and that inccludes the man who was best man at my wedding.  I lived within 2 miles of the clubhouse but never wanted to play for them.  My mother was from Mullaghbawn, and I have at least 6 first cousins who play senior football for them and 2 uncles who have managed them in recent years.  I never wanted to play for them  I lived closer to Crossmaglen than anywhere else and my father was from  there.  My brother played all his football there.  It was not obviously as successful as it is now so I wasn't glory hunting.  I played for the club that was closest to me that I had a connection with.  I didn't feel the need to follow my firends to their clubs.  You play for your local/closest club until you are established somewhere. 

The parents of these children have used the media to push their own agenda.  I love in Cork now.  My son plays for a junior club at underage.  They are made up at underage of two clubs because they do not have the numbers at that level.  They then split when they get to adult hurling/football.  To allow people to pick and choose their super clubs over their smaller less fashionable clubs would destroy a major component of our association, the parish affinity.