We're heading for the Super 8s

Orior

Not to be confused with the Shitty 8's
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Farrandeelin

Quote from: macdanger2 on May 28, 2018, 02:00:58 PM
Quote from: tippabu on May 28, 2018, 10:26:32 AM
Quote from: cornetto on May 28, 2018, 10:02:23 AM
In fairness it will be round three before the cream of the qualifiers come to the top and then it gets interesting as the 8 winners of round 2 are pitted against each other.
still it's an interesting sideshow.i might be a bit more interested if my beloved Galway end up in round 2!!!😁

It looks like tipp, Clare, laois/carlow, longford, leitrim, Sligo, fermanagh, down playing the winners, there's nothing in there that will scare anyone. Rounds 3/4 is where it should come to life.

Tipp probably the team to avoid there

I would be wary of Fermanagh myself.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Mayo Club 51

Been confirmed the Limerick v Mayo Rd1 qualifier is on Saturday 9th June at 6pm in the Gaelic Grounds Limerick.

Dire Ear

From the Bunker

Quote from: Dire Ear on May 29, 2018, 02:03:38 PM
Have Limerick a chance??

They are at home and Mayo don't seem to like the Gaelic grounds as a venue! The GAA financially needs Mayo and Tyrone in the Super 8's. Super 8's is there to milk money from the fans.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Mayo Club 51 on May 29, 2018, 01:25:25 PM
Been confirmed the Limerick v Mayo Rd1 qualifier is on Saturday 9th June at 6pm in the Gaelic Grounds Limerick.

Shouldn't be too late getting home.

spuds

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 29, 2018, 02:45:00 PM
Have Limerick a chance??

They are at home and Mayo don't seem to like the Gaelic grounds as a venue! The GAA financially needs Mayo and Tyrone in the Super 8's. Super 8's is there to milk money from the fans.

Ah will you cheer the duck up. Go outside and take in the sunshine and crack an old smile. Don't be taking all the negative GAA headlines to heart.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Farrandeelin

Quote from: spuds on May 29, 2018, 03:22:18 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 29, 2018, 02:45:00 PM
Have Limerick a chance??

Ah will you cheer the duck up. Go outside and take in the sunshine and crack an old smile. Don't be taking all the negative GAA headlines to heart.

;D And as for the money FtB, you don't have to part with it.

macdanger2

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 28, 2018, 09:11:43 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on May 28, 2018, 02:00:58 PM
Quote from: tippabu on May 28, 2018, 10:26:32 AM
Quote from: cornetto on May 28, 2018, 10:02:23 AM
In fairness it will be round three before the cream of the qualifiers come to the top and then it gets interesting as the 8 winners of round 2 are pitted against each other.
still it's an interesting sideshow.i might be a bit more interested if my beloved Galway end up in round 2!!!😁

It looks like tipp, Clare, laois/carlow, longford, leitrim, Sligo, fermanagh, down playing the winners, there's nothing in there that will scare anyone. Rounds 3/4 is where it should come to life.

Tipp probably the team to avoid there

I would be wary of Fermanagh myself.

Yeah, after tipp, they'd be next ones I'd like to avoid (assuming they end up in the qualifiers)

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 28, 2018, 08:58:57 AM
Quote from: seafoid on May 28, 2018, 08:48:35 AM
the full list

Derry vs Kildare
Meath v Tyrone
Louth v London
Wicklow v Cavan
Offaly v Antrim
Mayo v Limerick
Westmeath v Armagh
Wexford v Waterford

Derry v Kildare and Meath v Tyrone the tie of the rounds. Think London will be at home. Cavan should get back to winning way. Offaly Antrim could go either way. Mayo blessed in a qualifier draw again, Westmeath v Armagh could go either way and Wexford should beat Waterford.

Quote from: Hound on May 28, 2018, 09:15:36 AM
What's the TV coverage likely to be for this - just one live?

Derry v Kildare the pick of the round for me. Very hard to call.
Westmeath v Armagh also hard to call. And Meath v Tyrone is the other game I'd like to see, even though not a whole heap of doubt about how it would go, but Meath might have a kick in them yet.

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 28, 2018, 09:58:40 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 28, 2018, 09:56:50 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 28, 2018, 09:05:37 AM
First named teams at home unless a D1/2 team playing D3/D4? If so,

Derry v Kildare - Derry
Meath v Tyrone - Tyrone
London v Louth - London
Wicklow v Cavan - Cavan
Offaly v Antrim - Who knows
Limerick v Mayo - Mayo
Westmeath v Armagh - Westmeath
Wexford v Waterford - Wexford

Don't let our performance v Fermanagh fool you. We'll be coming out of Mullingar with a win.

That's my version of Milltown Row's reverse psychology :)

Ah no, I think Westmeath in Mullingar will be tough again for ye, and their defences will be up after yer shocking behaviour last time around :)

Lads, we've lost half our squad from last year, this one won't be close, we're in free fall. And if our defences were going to be up after the shocking behaviour on and off the pitch last year we wouldn't have rolled over in the league. See it's been fixed for Saturday June 9 at 7pm, I'm sure there'll be a motion to the council for the town to treat the day like a travellers wedding and to keep the pubs shut.  :P
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

APM

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 29, 2018, 04:49:40 PM
the full list

Derry vs Kildare
Meath v Tyrone
Louth v London
Wicklow v Cavan
Offaly v Antrim
Mayo v Limerick
Westmeath v Armagh
Wexford v Waterford

Derry v Kildare and Meath v Tyrone the tie of the rounds. Think London will be at home. Cavan should get back to winning way. Offaly Antrim could go either way. Mayo blessed in a qualifier draw again, Westmeath v Armagh could go either way and Wexford should beat Waterford.

Westmeath v Armagh also hard to call. And Meath v Tyrone is the other game I'd like to see, even though not a whole heap of doubt about how it would go, but Meath might have a kick in them yet.

Derry v Kildare - Derry
Meath v Tyrone - Tyrone
London v Louth - London
Wicklow v Cavan - Cavan
Limerick v Mayo - Mayo

Don't let our performance v Fermanagh fool you. We'll be coming out of Mullingar with a win.

Ah no, I think Westmeath in Mullingar will be tough again for ye, and their defences will be up after yer shocking behaviour last time around :)

Lads, we've lost half our squad from last year, this one won't be close, we're in free fall. And if our defences were going to be up after the shocking behaviour on and off the pitch last year we wouldn't have rolled over in the league. See it's been fixed for Saturday June 9 at 7pm, I'm sure there'll be a motion to the council for the town to treat the day like a travellers wedding and to keep the pubs shut.  :P

;D

I had to get up and leave my seat after 5 minutes of the first half last year and stand beside a crowd of Westmeath hallions at the back wall. 

The reason?

Two wimmin who gave a running commentary on the antics of the brutish Northern players! They weren't loud or vulgar - it was a bit like a couple of oul biddies from Glenroe, talking about drug dealers, young fellas drinking and fighting on the street and young girls showing too much flesh!

Literally!
Would you look at that there now! Isn't that disgusting Mary.
I don't think they came here to play football at all Nuala!
Isn't it just disgraceful. Dirty, Dirty, Dirty!

A few minutes of that was enough for me!!

joemamas

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 29, 2018, 04:49:40 PM
the full list

Derry vs Kildare
Meath v Tyrone
Louth v London
Wicklow v Cavan
Offaly v Antrim
Mayo v Limerick
Westmeath v Armagh
Wexford v Waterford

Derry v Kildare - Derry
Meath v Tyrone - Tyrone
London v Louth - London
Wicklow v Cavan - Cavan
Limerick v Mayo - Mayo

It would be the icing on the cake if there was a travelers wedding that evening.

twohands!!!

Quote from: LCohen on May 28, 2018, 01:24:14 PM
Quote from: Baile an tuaigh on May 28, 2018, 01:07:17 PM
I feel bad for Armagh went to see them in the championship a couple of times last year and they brought a massive colorful following. Would love to see them do well for their supporters.

We will bring that again.

Our 2017 campaign is a prototype of what many counties will see in the new format. Building a momentum through the qualifiers but getting no closer to winning a game in the last 8. This years super 8 are likely to be the provincial winners, the losing finalists in Ulster and Connacht and Mayo and Tyrone. If the latter 2 play each other beforehand or the losers in Connacht or Ulster finals then a space will open up for someone else. But in those circumstances there is a fair chance that team will lose 3 games and be destroyed in at least 2.

Armagh were humiliated in Croke Park by Tyrone. Difficult to bounce back from but more difficult again if you are on the end of 2 or 3 such hammerings

This format will allow you to extract short term glory from out running the also rans without getting a step closer to the elite

Under the previous non Super 8 format, you would fairly regularly get teams who rode their luck a bit to get to the quarter-finals.
With the new Super 8 format these teams could potentially be on course for 3 very bad beatings at the Super 8 stage, especially if the first game is a bad loss.

How would Armagh have fared if they had to play say Dublin and Monaghan last year in the 2 weeks after the Tyrone beating?
Same applies for Clare in 2016 if they had to play Dublin and Donegal in the 2 weeks after losing by 11 points to Kerry?
Or going back another year Kildare in 2015 if they had to play Monaghan and Tyrone in the 2 weeks after the 7 goal mauling by Kerry?
[These imaginary groups are simply the 4 teams on the one side of the quarterfinals in those years]