Ulster Club SFC 2019

Started by oakleaflad, October 21, 2019, 10:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Who was missing for Trillick?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

FermGael

Quote from: Angelo on November 03, 2019, 05:42:35 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 03, 2019, 05:36:01 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 03, 2019, 05:32:11 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 03, 2019, 05:29:45 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 03, 2019, 05:28:54 PM
Quote from: marty34 on November 03, 2019, 05:12:53 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 03, 2019, 04:52:09 PM
Quote from: Schkite on November 03, 2019, 04:50:33 PM
We won a game in the Monaghan championship on penalties, but it would be an awful way to lose a game. There are time constraints sure, but there must be a better way.

Next score wins would be a much fairer way.

You're the lad preaching about how good Tyrone club football is - you're a waffler, a spoofer.  Another year without an Ulster club senior title.  Gone in the first round...again.

Well done to Derrygonnelly.  A well deserved victory.  Trillick unlucky - ahead on a few occasions but couldn't see it out.  Penalties is exciting for the neutrals.

As an aside, the Derrygonnelly person on Twitter must be good craic.  Done a great job.

Very open competition now.  Cavan champions must have been well poor. Naomh Conaill will get glad of the break now - a well deserved break.

I don't see how that disproves my point at all.

Tyrone still has the strongest senior club championship in Ulster.

Which club championship do you think is strongest in Ulster?

Fermanagh

Derrygonnelly have won 5 in a row in Fermanagh and needed penalties to beat Trillick at home, who were minus their best player for the majority of the game.

Well done to Derrygonnelly too, that was a great win.
Meh came back on again, no excuses please. Frees up the players for McKenna cup at least

No excuses there.

Angelo failed to mention that Derrygonnelly were also missing their the top scorer in the Fermanagh club championship over the last 5 years Paul Ward who is out with a long term injury.

Fair play to Derrygonnelly.
Disgrace it went to penalty kicks.
Both clubs should have refused them.
Could have been replayed next weekend.
Just shows how the Gaa is evolving .....
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

marty34

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 03, 2019, 06:28:13 PM
Quote from: FermGael on November 03, 2019, 06:09:27 PMAngelo failed to mention that Derrygonnelly were also missing their the top scorer in the Fermanagh club championship over the last 5 years Paul Ward who is our with a long term injury.

I can understand using a penalty shoot-out or some sort of free-kick shoot-out where there is an exceptional circumstance to completing a fixture in a round from going on excessively long, but it seems rather premature to do so on the first day, especially in an adult club championship. By all means, say do it where the first game went to a draw AET, the replay also finished level, level again AET and the teams still couldn't be separated after another 2x5mins extra time period, then have a shoot out. If I'm right, the senior semis aren't until the 16th & 17th November - it wouldn't have been too hard to have had say a replay under lights in Brewster or Healy this coming Thursday or Friday night.

In saying that, probably a good job the Fermanagh SFC itself doesn't demand all ties finish on the day, as Derrygonnelly could then have been easily polished off by Belanleck (had the leckers won the replay, that would have set up some fairytale final)!

I think it states that it'll finish on day so clubs should have no issue when it goes to draw, then a draw in extra-time.  No excuses.

If so, it should be raised before hand i.e. during the week when the directive from the Ulster Council comes through.

under the bar

Whoever decided penalty kicks to decide a GAA match should be beaten around the nads with nettles and then brambles until they drop off.  Probably a Dub west-Brit pale-dweller.

Rossfan

Penalties are part of Gaelic Football and have been since the time football was only played by fíor Gael Ulsterites.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

marty34

Quote from: under the bar on November 03, 2019, 08:55:57 PM
Whoever decided penalty kicks to decide a GAA match should be beaten around the nads with nettles and then brambles until they drop off.  Probably a Dub west-Brit pale-dweller.

Why? There are penalties in gaa sports?

tonto1888

A whole lot of nonsense being talked about penalties here

Captain Obvious

That was poor from Castlerahan the Cavan champions. How much would Naomh Conaill win by If they had a week or two to prepare for that game?

marty34

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 03, 2019, 09:07:18 PM
Quote from: marty34 on November 03, 2019, 08:25:18 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 03, 2019, 06:28:13 PM
Quote from: FermGael on November 03, 2019, 06:09:27 PMAngelo failed to mention that Derrygonnelly were also missing their the top scorer in the Fermanagh club championship over the last 5 years Paul Ward who is our with a long term injury.

I can understand using a penalty shoot-out or some sort of free-kick shoot-out where there is an exceptional circumstance to completing a fixture in a round from going on excessively long, but it seems rather premature to do so on the first day, especially in an adult club championship. By all means, say do it where the first game went to a draw AET, the replay also finished level, level again AET and the teams still couldn't be separated after another 2x5mins extra time period, then have a shoot out. If I'm right, the senior semis aren't until the 16th & 17th November - it wouldn't have been too hard to have had say a replay under lights in Brewster or Healy this coming Thursday or Friday night.

In saying that, probably a good job the Fermanagh SFC itself doesn't demand all ties finish on the day, as Derrygonnelly could then have been easily polished off by Belanleck (had the leckers won the replay, that would have set up some fairytale final)!

I think it states that it'll finish on day so clubs should have no issue when it goes to draw, then a draw in extra-time.  No excuses.

If so, it should be raised before hand i.e. during the week when the directive from the Ulster Council comes through.

No point crying over spilt milk as regards to the present competition season, at least. Maybe something will be different this time next year?

Possibly, if the timetable suits.  I like replay, then extra-time then penalties but time constraints must be factored in also.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 03, 2019, 09:56:25 PM
Some suggestion earlier of "next score wins" as an alternative - that is a damn good recepie of a complete disaster in the making if it was decided by the referee awarding a "soft", dodgy or 50/50 free kick within scoring distance of the posts which was then knocked over the bar.

No different to he doing it with 10 seconds left in normal time.

under the bar

Quote from: marty34 on November 03, 2019, 09:00:46 PM
Quote from: under the bar on November 03, 2019, 08:55:57 PM

Why? There are penalties in gaa sports?

Cos it's a soccer solution to end a GAA contest, and a completely shit soccer solution at that.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 03, 2019, 10:14:57 PM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on November 03, 2019, 09:58:22 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 03, 2019, 09:56:25 PM
Some suggestion earlier of "next score wins" as an alternative - that is a damn good recepie of a complete disaster in the making if it was decided by the referee awarding a "soft", dodgy or 50/50 free kick within scoring distance of the posts which was then knocked over the bar.

No different to he doing it with 10 seconds left in normal time.

Unless the referee tells whoever is taking the free kick that it's the last kick of the half, there's nothing stopping the official to get the team that is one behind "one last chance" from the kickout. In a "next score wins", the game is over once the ball crosses the goal line (assuming the score is not disallowed or made to be retaken).

So you are saying...next score plus one possession, and if the team behind loses possession the game is over?  Or they could get a goal to win if the first score was a point?

There are worse ways to solve it I suppose.

Milltown Row2

Clubs are aware of the rules and regulations, why are people still complaining when 'your' clubs rubber stamps this via county or ulster county conventions?

If you're a member of a club you can it a motion through your club to change it. Until then it's what we've got, not my choice but it's difficult to fix
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rufus T Firefly

Many years ago, when we in Armagh Harps run our annual tournament, draws at the end of normal time were settled by each team taking five 50s, in alternate order. Goals did not count and neither did points where the ball bounced on the ground before going over. Where sides were level after five 50s each, sudden death was employed.

That said, I recall an O'Fiaich Cup game being decided by penalties at the end of normal time. Paddy McEneaney was the ref and it looked an 'off the cuff' decision to use penalties. Many present were taken with the novelty of it, but there were a few walked out shouting 'disgrace' in the direction of Paddy.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 03, 2019, 10:58:20 PM
It was a few years back (I think 2014 or 2015?), but I recall UUJ progressing in a knockout game after winning a penalty shoot-out, it wasn't Sigerson though.

I'd be guessing the O'Fiaich Cup match was around 1999 / 2000, as I recall Mark Campbell from Silverbridge doing nets for Armagh and that was his era. I'm sure we were playing Derry and got beaten!