Ulster Club SFC 2019

Started by oakleaflad, October 21, 2019, 10:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Quote from: Keyser soze on October 25, 2019, 09:38:32 AM
In the last 20 years 8 different Derry clubs have won the Senior championship, how many different Tyrone clubs have won their SFC in that time?

Same, 8.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

trueblue1234

Quote from: the_daddy on October 25, 2019, 09:52:28 AM
Quote from: Keyser soze on October 25, 2019, 09:38:32 AM
In the last 20 years 8 different Derry clubs have won the Senior championship, how many different Tyrone clubs have won their SFC in that time?

I make it 7 in the last 20 but since you want to measure the size of lads, it's 8 in the last 14 years or 9 in the last 21 with 1 back to back in that entire period.

I had 8?

Omagh Trillick, KC, Clonoe, Dromore, E.C, Carrickmore, Coalisland?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

oakleaflad

Quote from: Pearse Blue on October 25, 2019, 09:50:35 AM
Quote from: oakleaflad on October 25, 2019, 09:48:14 AM
Quote from: Angelo on October 25, 2019, 09:28:24 AM
Quote from: marty34 on October 24, 2019, 11:32:34 AM
Quote from: oakleaflad on October 24, 2019, 10:39:45 AM
Quote from: Pearse Blue on October 24, 2019, 10:31:45 AM
Quote from: oakleaflad on October 24, 2019, 10:20:59 AM
Quote from: Angelo on October 24, 2019, 10:08:01 AM
Quote from: marty34 on October 24, 2019, 09:58:39 AM
Not senior obviously, but I checked out the winners in the St. Paul's Minour Tournament in Belfast.
At the top:
Derry - 16 winners
Tyrone - 4 winners
Antrim - 3 winners
Armagh - 3 winners
Donegal - 3 winners
Fermanagh - 2 winners
Cavan - 1 winner
Monaghan - 1 winner

Tyrone have serious underage talent but getting into Ulster club, whatever age group, they, for whatever reason, don't do it.

Tyrone is a meritocracy, there is no super club, it's highly competitive, we have by far the best success rate in junior and intermediate in the past decade and you have a case like Trillick a few years back who lost an intermediate final and won the senior championship the subsequent season and narrowly lost out to Scotstown in Ulster.

There are 6 or 7 senior clubs who would go into the Ulster Championship and be more than capable of holding their own, I don't think any other county in Ulster would be capable of that now.
I think the top 6 or 7 in Derry are stronger than the top 6 or 7 in Tyrone.
Not a chance
Any logic to go with that? Derry have been much more successful in any possible Ulster competition. Ulster club championship speaks for itself. Even the pre-season Ulster league has been won by Derry teams more than any other county. Tyrone folk seem to think their club sides are much stronger at senior level than they are.

Tyrone people are delusional about the quality of their championship - when they go into Ulster, they are found out. It's competitive as they are 4 or 5 teams at the same level but that's different re: quality of team.

5 or 6 different teams have won Cavan championship this past 10 years -doesn't mean they're brill as when in Ulster club championship, they don't succeed.

My take on it is Tyrone people are more county based - they love the county football.

How do they get found out? If you look back at things since I think 2004 or 2005, only 5 clubs have won Ulster titles and with the exception of Gweedore, all those winners dominated their county title for a number of years and quite comfortably put together back to back titles. Kilcoo and Scotstown also came very close to winning Ulster titles but fell marginally short, they too dominated their county Championships.

As I said there is no super club in Tyrone but we easily have 6 or 7 clubs who won't look out of place at provincial level. It's not as if Tyrone clubs are falling at the first hurdle every year.

Ulster looks a bit more open this year without the likes of regular kingpins like Scotstown and Slaughtneil.
To suggest Slaughtneil were strolling through Derry is just nonsense. They won because they were the best team but some of their Derry championship games were tougher than some of the Ulster club games.
Awk oakleaf wise up they strolled through it, yes it was because they were an exceptional team but they still walked through it
I was at games where they did well to get over the line. The likes of B'derry and M'felt put it up to them. But i'll wise up because you said so.
It would be my opinion that the top 10 or so clubs in Derry would be stronger than the equivalent clubs in Tyrone, after that Tyrone would be a good bit stronger.

oakleaflad

Quote from: topofthesoil on October 25, 2019, 09:53:02 AM
Not senior obviously, but I checked out the winners in the St. Paul's Minour Tournament in Belfast.
At the top:
Derry - 16 winners
Tyrone - 4 winners
Antrim - 3 winners
Armagh - 3 winners
Donegal - 3 winners
Fermanagh - 2 winners
Cavan - 1 winner
Monaghan - 1 winner

Tyrone have serious underage talent but getting into Ulster club, whatever age group, they, for whatever reason, don't do it.

Tyrone is a meritocracy, there is no super club, it's highly competitive, we have by far the best success rate in junior and intermediate in the past decade and you have a case like Trillick a few years back who lost an intermediate final and won the senior championship the subsequent season and narrowly lost out to Scotstown in Ulster.

There are 6 or 7 senior clubs who would go into the Ulster Championship and be more than capable of holding their own, I don't think any other county in Ulster would be capable of that now.
Not a chance
Any logic to go with that? Derry have been much more successful in any possible Ulster competition. Ulster club championship speaks for itself. Even the pre-season Ulster league has been won by Derry teams more than any other county. Tyrone folk seem to think their club sides are much stronger at senior level than they are.

Tyrone people are delusional about the quality of their championship - when they go into Ulster, they are found out. It's competitive as they are 4 or 5 teams at the same level but that's different re: quality of team.

5 or 6 different teams have won Cavan championship this past 10 years -doesn't mean they're brill as when in Ulster club championship, they don't succeed.

My take on it is Tyrone people are more county based - they love the county football.

How do they get found out? If you look back at things since I think 2004 or 2005, only 5 clubs have won Ulster titles and with the exception of Gweedore, all those winners dominated their county title for a number of years and quite comfortably put together back to back titles. Kilcoo and Scotstown also came very close to winning Ulster titles but fell marginally short, they too dominated their county Championships.

As I said there is no super club in Tyrone but we easily have 6 or 7 clubs who won't look out of place at provincial level. It's not as if Tyrone clubs are falling at the first hurdle every year.

Ulster looks a bit more open this year without the likes of regular kingpins like Scotstown and Slaughtneil.
To suggest Slaughtneil were strolling through Derry is just nonsense. They won because they were the best team but some of their Derry championship games were tougher than some of the Ulster club games.

They strolled back then, once again thats why they had so much ulster success.
That in bold is pure fabrication.
Quote from: topofthesoil on October 25, 2019, 09:53:02 AM
At the top:
Derry - 16 winners
Tyrone - 4 winners
Antrim - 3 winners
Armagh - 3 winners
Donegal - 3 winners
Fermanagh - 2 winners
Cavan - 1 winner
Monaghan - 1 winner

Not a chance

They strolled back then, once again thats why they had so much ulster success.
That in bold is pure fabrication.
Slaughtneil beat Cavan Gaels by 8 points in an Ulster final. They beat Killyclogher by 6 in an Ulster Semi Final. You think they are tougher games than a draw against Magherafelt where they needed a late equalizer in added time?

brokencrossbar1

I've been lucky as I've been able to play in and watch games year on year for the last 25 odd years in the Ulster club. Without fear of contradiction the hardest games were always against Derry teams, Bellaghy, Ballinderry and Slaughtneil were consistently at a very high level. EC has a single team that stood out as did St Galls from Antrim and Enniskillen Gaels. Kilcoo are a step below these teams as are Scotstown. Outside of that teams are much of a muchness. Tyrone is not the best championship in terms of overall quality, Derry has been. If fact I would say we had harder games against a number of Armagh teams than we had against most Tyrone teams. Outside of EC I would never have had concerns about a Tyrone team and it was purely because of Peter Canavan as he was simply exceptional. Take him out of EC and they were another bog average Tyrone team.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on October 25, 2019, 09:29:57 AM
There's also no backdoor in the Tyrone Championship, so you don't get any second chance from an off day like you do in other county championships.

No backdoor in Antrim, but carry on looking for excuses
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

Tyrone clubs in Ulster in recent years.

2018 - Coalisland - lost to Cross by 2 pts
2017 - Omagh - lost to Slaughtneil by 2 pts (Eventual winners)
2016 - Killyclogher - beat Cargin by 5, lost to Slaughtneil by 6 (Eventual winners)
2015 - Trillick - beat Naomh Conaill by 1, lost to Scotstown by 2 (Runners up to Cross in extra time)
2014 - Omagh - beat Crossmaglen by 2, beat St Eunans by 3, lost to Slaughtneil by 1 (Eventual winners)
2013 - Clonoe - Lost to Ballinderry by 4 (Eventual winners)
2012 - Errigal - beat Ballindery by 1, lost to Cross by 6 (Eventual winners)
2011 - Dromore - Lost to Ballinderry by 2
2010 - Coalisland - Beat Roslea by 3, lost to Naomh Conaill by 1

I don't think that is too bad a record on the whole considering only 4 clubs have won Ulster in that time and Cross and Slaughtneil have shared 7 between them. It would be a different story if the same team was cruising through Tyrone every year and consistently falling short.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on October 25, 2019, 10:51:22 AM

2016 - Killyclogher - beat Cargin by 5, lost to Slaughtneil by 6 (Eventual winners)
2015 - Trillick - beat Naomh Conaill by 1, lost to Scotstown by 2 (Runners up to Cross in extra time)
2014 - Omagh - beat Crossmaglen by 2, beat St Eunans by 3, lost to Slaughtneil by 1 (Eventual winners)

I don't think that is too bad a record on the whole considering only 4 clubs have won Ulster in that time and Cross and Slaughtneil have shared 7 between them. It would be a different story if the same team was cruising through Tyrone every year and consistently falling short.

It's rubbish! To say you're club championship is the best in Ireland and to fail so miserably in an extra 3 games with the best club players is a very poor return, 1968 the competition started
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

t_mac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 25, 2019, 11:02:09 AM

It's rubbish! To say you're club championship is the best in Ireland and to fail so miserably in an extra 3 games with the best club players is a very poor return, 1968 the competition started

But nothing counts prior to 2003, that's a well known fact.

Angelo

Not really, Ulster club has been more or less dominated by 2 clubs in this decade.

Look at the fate of the Armagh champions when it's not Cross representing them. Maghery were whacked by Kilcoo when they came through Armagh and Armagh Harps lost to Cavan Gaels the other time and that was the first time a Cavan side had won a match in Ulster in nearly 10 years!

Scotstown and Kilcoo have consistently failed in Ulster though they have been there or thereabouts.

I'm also referring to the present and recent past. Many things change in 50 years. Some winners no longer exists or have experienced a severe fall from grace.

cornerback

Awk oakleaf wise up they strolled through it, yes it was because they were an exceptional team but they still walked through it

But in 2014 Slaughtneil won their first Derry title in 10 years and went on to win Ulster... how does this fit the narrative that you need to be regularly competing in Ulster to win it??

Angelo

Quote from: cornerback on October 25, 2019, 11:18:13 AM

But in 2014 Slaughtneil won their first Derry title in 10 years and went on to win Ulster... how does this fit the narrative that you need to be regularly competing in Ulster to win it??

It certainly helps. The fact is Slaughtneil were coming back again and again after that, they pipped an Omagh side in the final who had just won their first Tyrone title in 26 years.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Angelo on October 25, 2019, 11:11:51 AM

Not really, Ulster club has been more or less dominated by 2 clubs in this decade.

Look at the fate of the Armagh champions when it's not Cross representing them. Maghery were whacked by Kilcoo when they came through Armagh and Armagh Harps lost to Cavan Gaels the other time and that was the first time a Cavan side had won a match in Ulster in nearly 10 years!

Scotstown and Kilcoo have consistently failed in Ulster though they have been there or thereabouts.

I'm also referring to the present and recent past. Many things change in 50 years. Some winners no longer exists or have experienced a severe fall from grace.

Pearse Og were the width of a post away from beating St Galls who then went on to win it.

Kilcoo should really have won it by now but I think that ship has sailed.

Cavan Gaels were a decent side for a few years there but have slid now.

Angelo

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 25, 2019, 11:22:43 AM

Pearse Og were the width of a post away from beating St Galls who then went on to win it.

Kilcoo should really have won it by now but I think that ship has sailed.

Cavan Gaels were a decent side for a few years there but have slid now.

Pearse Og is more than a decade ago now. The fact is Cross were preparing for Ulster every season, Armagh club football is extremely poor outside of them.

The point being made is that if you swapped any of the top 5 or 6 club sides in Tyrone with the dominant sides in Down, Derry, Monaghan, Armagh etc, I'd have no doubt that they'd be able to put together back to back titles which they struggle to in Tyrone. Conversely I also believe that the likes of Scotstown, Kilcoo, Cross, Slaughtneil etc wouldn't have a hope of dominating Tyrone like they do their own counties.

t_mac

Armagh Harps were beaten by Derrygonnelly Harps, whom then were beaten by Cavan Gaels.