best way to kill rats

Started by lynchbhoy, July 11, 2013, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Brother in law says he saw a rat at the bottom of his garden.
Reckons he will put down rat poison.
I think I have heard that rat poison isnt effective.
Anyone know whats the best way to kill rat(s).
TIA

Orior

Wire cages are the best. You can then take double delight in watching them drown, or burn  :(

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

spuds

Was told by guy who sells rat poison that the Storm pellets I bought should be crushed down to powder as the rat may take the pellets and store them but not consume. Cannot do this with powder so will ate it.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

dillinger

Cats, well some of them.

I worked on a building site where a cat used to bring into site hut rats at times.

Luckily it had killed it first.

AZOffaly

Tony Soprano would shoot them in the back of the head, silent like. Badabing.

Shamrock Shore

Put them to use and develop a cottage industry

southdown

A few country men I know tell tales of pouring boiling water on them in the cage, their screams supposedly scare off other rats.

Though, some of them may disappear to form a Splinter group ;)

Bingo

You got to think like a rat, act like a rat and then set the trap to catch the rat.

If he gets wind that he is suspected of being the rat, he'll likely go to ground. You have to be prepared to go after his family, hurt them and flush the rat out. Its a dirty game but it will set down a marker for the rest of the gang.

Ohhh, that kinda Rat......sorry too much Love/hate.

armaghniac

You could wrap them in a tricolour and put them on top of an 11th bonfire.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

gawa316

I've actually warmed (a little) to Gary Neville since he has become a pundit...

theticklemister

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 11, 2013, 10:06:24 AM
Brother in law says he saw a rat at the bottom of his garden.
Reckons he will put down rat poison.
I think I have heard that rat poison isnt effective.
Anyone know whats the best way to kill rat(s).
TIA

Problem solved; by the looks of it but maybe he has just consumed one............

Puckoon

They're incredibly intelligent creatures, and could well avoid a trap or indeed poison forever. They are curious, but very cautious. I'd get a jack Russell for a while (cat could be turned on its heel quick enough by a big rat)! These things used to be in balance, pity all the big birds of prey are reduced.

Junior has a pet rat, I have to say in all the years of owning pets, the rat is one of the best I've had about the place.

The Iceman

I heard stories from some of the old timers that you should catch one rat and starve it for 4 days or up to a week and then let it out near the nest - say he will eat the other rats..... a good wee dog is your best bet for them or a good 2.1
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Puckoon

You have to imagine that's an old tale. The hoor would just be hungry, not cannibalistic!

Puckoon

Maybe there's something to it then. The lab rats will certainly eat their newborns on occasion