Premiership footballers - On another planet?

Started by Orangemac, January 19, 2011, 11:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 25, 2011, 01:18:17 AM
Quote from: screenexile on August 24, 2011, 11:43:19 PM
I couldn't find the quote but at the time of Adebayor moving to City did he not say something like "If I were a plumber and somebody wanted to offer me twice as much money to do the same job I am presently doing should I not take it?"

Hard to argue with that logic... most of these lads come from nothing so you can't blame them if some idiot wants to give them £100,000 a week to chase a bag of wind around a pitch!

Only way to stop this is salary caps, but if England introduce them, they got to Spain. Spain introduce them, they go to Italy. Italy introduce them they go to France or Germany. The Netherlands, Brazil, Russia, USA, Japan, UAE, Scotland, Turkey etc. down the line. You would need a FIFA wide cap system, but then that would hit their cash cows like England, Spain, Italy etc.

Yeah, FIFA would need a salary cap, but it couldn't be a nominal figure, because of currency fluctuations, tax bands, inflation etc. It also couldn't be a percentage of club turnover, because the bigger clubs would have an even more pronounced advantage. I think a salary cap would have to be based on cost of living in the countries/a multiple of average wage, whatever. Something 'index' linked.

magpie seanie

You mightn't like turnover % but there's something wrong with the likes of Real, Barca, Chelsea and city running up massive debts buying up players that they might not use. It's almost as if they're buying them up to stop them going elsewhere.

Disclaimer - obviously I'm a United supporter and "I would say that" but I think the point is valid.

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 25, 2011, 12:28:57 PM
You mightn't like turnover % but there's something wrong with the likes of Real, Barca, Chelsea and city running up massive debts buying up players that they might not use. It's almost as if they're buying them up to stop them going elsewhere.

Disclaimer - obviously I'm a United supporter and "I would say that" but I think the point is valid.

Exactly, that's why I think some form of salary cap should be introduced. I'm just saying the base salary cap number shouldn't be a percentage of turnover. That just makes the bigger teams bigger again.

I bet the owners would love a salary cap as well, because that would mean they could hoarde some of the revenue from shirts, sponsorship etc, and every time the fans scream for more money they could shrug and say 'salary cap'.

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 25, 2011, 12:28:57 PM

The point certainly is valid.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

The longer the economic stagnation goes on the more likely it is that football will be restructured.
Football earnings are a throwback to the days when debt generated economic growth rather than strangling it.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU