Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on December 30, 2020, 04:49:05 PM
Quote from: Angelo on December 30, 2020, 09:53:28 AM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on December 30, 2020, 01:42:48 AM
Quote from: Angelo on December 29, 2020, 12:07:50 PM
Quote from: Moonshine on December 29, 2020, 06:59:46 AM
Quote from: Angelo on December 28, 2020, 09:27:55 PM
6 is a major issue for us as you can see. I'd probably play Hampsey there myself.

Obviously midfield is another major cause for concern.

Conor Quinn would have needed to do a lot of filling out to be ready for a starting spot next year.

I'd go for something like:

Morgan

Rafferty
McNamee
Brennan

Cassidy
Hampsey
O'Neill

Kennedy
R Donnelly

M Donnelly
McKenna
McCurry

Harte
McShane
McAliskey

Mcaliskey ahead of caravan your having a laugh.

Canavan is a slight 20 year old who has played one Championship match. He's a huge talent but has it all to prove and an awful lot of physical development to make yet. I look forward to seeing how he gets on next year but we have to be careful how we manage him and the expectations.

I think McAliskey has a lot to offer if he comes back fit and hungry. Only McManus scored more overall than McAliskey in the 2018 All Ireland Championship and only Kilkenny scored more from play in the same Championship. It's good we have all these options but it's going to be difficult for Logan and Dooher to balance all these players and their hunger to play. If you look at the Donegal game back in November, you could potentially be adding McAliskey, L Brennan, McShane and Donaghy among others into that forward line so whoever has the jersey is going to have to perform.
1) Age is irrelevant.
2) His da was "slight" too, as was Gooch Cooper etc etc. Means nothing.

Age is relevant. Not too many counties with 20/21 year old s starting for them.

Size is very relevant. Look at the top counties now and tell us  how many players under 5ft10 line out for them now. The game has changed an awful lot over the past 20/30 years.

Canavan is a fantastic talent but he has it all to prove and we must be careful in our expectations and how we manage him. There's a lot of competition in his position now so he will need to be delivering to start and I think you are gone way overboard on a young talent who has only played one Championship game.

Guys like McCurry, McAliskey and Bradley have much more experience and physical development made at the minute and they are some of the players he will be fighting it out with.
No it isn't. If you're good enough, you're old enough, it's that simple.  Doesn't matter what age or height you are.
If he performs, then he should play.

That's complete bullshit. Age, height and physical development do matter. They matter hugely now. How many 20 year olds are starting for the top teams now? You can cite guys like Mullin, Clifford, O'Shea etc but they are all big physical, athletic players. We need to be patient and careful with Canavan.

I've already said if Canavan performs then he will play. But you're putting some amount of expectation on a 20 year old who has played one Championhsip game. We need to be careful with him. We have seasoned performers like McAliskey, Bradley, McCurry etc there who are a lot further on in their physical development and Canavan will have pressure on him to earn that jersey. If he performs he will play but he is certainly at a disadvantage when it comes to his size, height and power at present. He will take another couple of years to really develop the type of physical frame needed at this level.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Angelo on December 30, 2020, 05:24:55 PM
6 is a major issue for us as you can see. I'd probably play Hampsey there myself.

Conor Quinn would have needed to do a lot of filling out to be ready for a starting spot next year.

Morgan

Rafferty
McNamee
Brennan

Cassidy
Hampsey
O'Neill

Kennedy
R Donnelly

M Donnelly
McKenna
McCurry

Harte
McShane
McAliskey

Canavan is a slight 20 year old who has played one Championship match. He's a huge talent but has it all to prove and an awful lot of physical development to make yet. I look forward to seeing how he gets on next year but we have to be careful how we manage him and the expectations.

I think McAliskey has a lot to offer if he comes back fit and hungry. Only McManus scored more overall than McAliskey in the 2018 All Ireland Championship and only Kilkenny scored more from play in the same Championship. It's good we have all these options but it's going to be difficult for Logan and Dooher to balance all these players and their hunger to play. If you look at the Donegal game back in November, you could potentially be adding McAliskey, L Brennan, McShane and Donaghy among others into that forward line so whoever has the jersey is going to have to perform.
1) Age is irrelevant.

Size is very relevant. Look at the top counties now and tell us  how many players under 5ft10 line out for them now. The game has changed an awful lot over the past 20/30 years.

Canavan is a fantastic talent but he has it all to prove and we must be careful in our expectations and how we manage him. There's a lot of competition in his position now so he will need to be delivering to start and I think you are gone way overboard on a young talent who has only played one Championship game.

Guys like McCurry, McAliskey and Bradley have much more experience and physical development made at the minute and they are some of the players he will be fighting it out with.
No it isn't. If you're good enough, you're old enough, it's that simple.  Doesn't matter what age or height you are.

That's complete bullshit. Age, height and physical development do matter. They matter hugely now. How many 20 year olds are starting for the top teams now? You can cite guys like Mullin, Clifford, O'Shea etc but they are all big physical, athletic players. We need to be patient and careful with Canavan.

I've already said if Canavan performs then he will play. But you're putting some amount of expectation on a 20 year old who has played one Championhsip game. We need to be careful with him. We have seasoned performers like McAliskey, Bradley, McCurry etc there who are a lot further on in their physical development and Canavan will have pressure on him to earn that jersey. If he performs he will play but he is certainly at a disadvantage when it comes to his size, height and power at present. He will take another couple of years to really develop the type of physical frame needed at this level.
No it isn't. Why do you need to be "careful" with him? Is he going to get hurt by a big shoulder barge off a big strong player just because hes so young and so small ;D Wise up.
He's performing at club, county u20 and now county senior. If he was so "slight" and only "20/21" he wouldn't be there in the first place, but he's good enough, so he is there, and will be a mainstay of the team if he performs consistently. It's that simple.

Angelo

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on December 30, 2020, 05:48:37 PM

Morgan

Rafferty
McNamee
Brennan

Cassidy
Hampsey
O'Neill

Kennedy
R Donnelly

M Donnelly
McKenna
McCurry

Harte
McShane
McAliskey

1) Age is irrelevant.

No it isn't. Why do you need to be "careful" with him? Is he going to get hurt by a big shoulder barge off a big strong player just because hes so young and so small ;D Wise up.
He's performing at club, county u20 and now county senior. If he was so "slight" and only "20/21" he wouldn't be there in the first place, but he's good enough, so he is there, and will be a mainstay of the team if he performs consistently. It's that simple.

You need to be careful with him as he's 20 years old. He has played one Championship game for his county. He is slight and he is only 20. He was there because we had big issues in our forward line. If you look at the Championship this year, we could have McShane, McAliskey and Brennan returning to action as inside forward options, we could have Paul Donaghy there who was the top marksman in the club Championship, we could have a fit Mark Bradley back. All these guys are older and more physically developed than Canavan.

We will see on Canavan but there will be serious competition for places next year and Canavan is a young lad who has not put 200 minutes of senior Championship action under his belt yet therefore we need to be careful how we manage him in both physical terms and expectations. He's a talent we ought to be excited about but there are more senior and proven performers there as of yet.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Angelo on December 30, 2020, 06:24:15 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on December 30, 2020, 05:48:37 PM

Morgan

Rafferty
McNamee
Brennan

Cassidy
Hampsey
O'Neill

Kennedy
R Donnelly

M Donnelly
McKenna
McCurry

Harte
McShane
McAliskey

1) Age is irrelevant.

You need to be careful with him as he's 20 years old. He has played one Championship game for his county. He is slight and he is only 20. He was there because we had big issues in our forward line. If you look at the Championship this year, we could have McShane, McAliskey and Brennan returning to action as inside forward options, we could have Paul Donaghy there who was the top marksman in the club Championship, we could have a fit Mark Bradley back. All these guys are older and more physically developed than Canavan.

We will see on Canavan but there will be serious competition for places next year and Canavan is a young lad who has not put 200 minutes of senior Championship action under his belt yet therefore we need to be careful how we manage him in both physical terms and expectations. He's a talent we ought to be excited about but there are more senior and proven performers there as of yet.
You keep saying he has only played one Championship game and then go on to say that's why you need to be "careful" with him. Not sure what your point is there and if anything it is a direct contradiction to one another.
He had one championship game because Tyrone had one championship game, that's why. He would have played more if Tyrone had played more.
Again, it doesn't matter what age he is, or whether he is "slight" or not. You seem to think some big bad francie bellew is going to hit him a shoulder that's going to cripple him the way you're getting on. It is any wonder Tyrone have been shite this past few years, boys too worried about "physicality" and how much boys can bench press etc. Skillful players come out on top against physical players every day of the week.
He is good enough so he is there, if he out-performs the lads you have mentioned, then he will be there for the forseeable. That's simply all there is to it really.

Angelo

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on December 30, 2020, 06:36:49 PM

You keep saying he has only played one Championship game and then go on to say that's why you need to be "careful" with him. Not sure what your point is there and if anything it is a direct contradiction to one another.

Are you disputing he has only played one Championship game or something? It's a fact.

Of course we need to be careful with him, he's a 20 year old with all to prove and we need to be careful how we manage him.

I cannot see where you are seeing a contradiction there. You've made the statement but it makes no sense and you've made no effort to explain it at all.

QuoteHe had one championship game because Tyrone had one championship game, that's why.He would have played more if Tyrone had played more.

And we would have a much better idea when he plays more Championship games. Do you normally judge players on a sample of their Championship debuts? It seems like you are judging a player solely on 50 minutes of Championship action.

QuoteAgain, it doesn't matter what age he is, or whether he is "slight" or not. You seem to think some big bad francie bellew is going to hit him a shoulder that's going to cripple him the way you're getting on. It is any wonder Tyrone have been shite this past few years, boys too worried about "physicality" and how much boys can bench press etc. Skillful players come out on top against physical players every day of the week.

I think a player's physical level is very important these days. Skilful players don't come out on top of physical players every day of the week. Are you now saying the likes of Ronan O'Neill or Lee Brennan are not skillful players? They have found the physical level of intercounty football extremely tough which is why they have struggled to make an impact at this level for Tyrone. We had young Mulgrew pick up rave reviews a few years back when he scored 2-01 in an All Ireland quarter final at the same age Canavan is now, he was a big prospect then and has barely kicked a ball for Tyrone.

Young Canavan shipped a heavy knock against Donegal and had to come off shortly after as well.

QuoteHe is good enough so he is there, if he out-performs the lads you have mentioned, then he will be there for the forseeable. That's simply all there is to it really.

I never said anything to the contrary in what you said. All I said was that he has only played one game of Championship football and is only 20 years old and still physically developing so we should be careful with him. If he is doing the business then he will play, no questions but on a sample of 50 minutes of Championship football it is crazy to making the kind of assertions you are.

May I revert you back to your initial post:

QuoteMcaliskey ahead of caravan your having a laugh.

2 years ago. McAliskey was Tyrone's top scorer as they reached an All Ireland final. Only Conor McManus scored more in the Championship that year, only Ciaran Kilkenny scored more from play. In contrast Darragh Canavan has played 50 minutes of Championship action.

I think your comments are extremely disrespectful and dismissive to a player like McAliskey who is a fine performer in his own right

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Angelo on December 30, 2020, 08:15:55 PM

Are you disputing he has only played one Championship game or something? It's a fact.

Of course we need to be careful with him, he's a 20 year old with all to prove and we need to be careful how we manage him.

I cannot see where you are seeing a contradiction there. You've made the statement but it makes no sense and you've made no effort to explain it at all.

QuoteHe had one championship game because Tyrone had one championship game, that's why.He would have played more if Tyrone had played more.

And we would have a much better idea when he plays more Championship games. Do you normally judge players on a sample of their Championship debuts? It seems like you are judging a player solely on 50 minutes of Championship action.

QuoteAgain, it doesn't matter what age he is, or whether he is "slight" or not. You seem to think some big bad francie bellew is going to hit him a shoulder that's going to cripple him the way you're getting on. It is any wonder Tyrone have been shite this past few years, boys too worried about "physicality" and how much boys can bench press etc. Skillful players come out on top against physical players every day of the week.

I think a player's physical level is very important these days. Skilful players don't come out on top of physical players every day of the week. Are you now saying the likes of Ronan O'Neill or Lee Brennan are not skillful players? They have found the physical level of intercounty football extremely tough which is why they have struggled to make an impact at this level for Tyrone. We had young Mulgrew pick up rave reviews a few years back when he scored 2-01 in an All Ireland quarter final at the same age Canavan is now, he was a big prospect then and has barely kicked a ball for Tyrone.

Young Canavan shipped a heavy knock against Donegal and had to come off shortly after as well.

QuoteHe is good enough so he is there, if he out-performs the lads you have mentioned, then he will be there for the forseeable. That's simply all there is to it really.

I never said anything to the contrary in what you said. All I said was that he has only played one game of Championship football and is only 20 years old and still physically developing so we should be careful with him. If he is doing the business then he will play, no questions but on a sample of 50 minutes of Championship football it is crazy to making the kind of assertions you are.

2 years ago. McAliskey was Tyrone's top scorer as they reached an All Ireland final. Only Conor McManus scored more in the Championship that year, only Ciaran Kilkenny scored more from play. In contrast Darragh Canavan has played 50 minutes of Championship action.

I think your comments are extremely disrespectful and dismissive to a player like McAliskey who is a fine performer in his own right
No, im not disputing he has played one championship game. Im disputing that Tyrone need to be "careful" with him. They don't.
The fact that he has played one senior county championship game is neither here nor there. It's the fact that you seem to think THAT is why tyrone need to be "careful" with him. It's a direct contradiction. It's not his fault, he would've played more had tyrone played more.
My assertions aren't "crazy". If he performs he will play, because he is good enough. That's all i'm saying. His age or being "slight" is absolutely irrelevant. It's not difficult to understand.

Angelo

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on December 30, 2020, 09:08:55 PM

No, im not disputing he has played one championship game. Im disputing that Tyrone need to be "careful" with him. They don't.
The fact that he has played one senior county championship game is neither here nor there. It's the fact that you seem to think THAT is why tyrone need to be "careful" with him. It's a direct contradiction. It's not his fault, he would've played more had tyrone played more.
My assertions aren't "crazy". If he performs he will play, because he is good enough. That's all i'm saying. His age or being "slight" is absolutely irrelevant. It's not difficult to understand.

Yet you find it ridiculous that a 20 year old who has played one Championship game, has an awful lot of physical development to make yet might find it hard to dislodge a player like McAliskey returning to the fold after a year out when he was the second top scorer in Championship football 2 years ago.

I think Tyrone need to be careful with a young player like Canavan, certainly. I don't think I'd be the only poster who would have that viewpoint here. Look if he comes in and keeps playing well, then fair play to him, he'll deserve his spot.

I found your post to be completely disrespectful to a proven intercounty performer like McAliskey. Why is it laughable that McAliskey would be ahead of Canavan? Their your words after all. Is it on the basis of the 50 minutes of Championship action Canavan has played? I do find that difficult to understand so maybe you should address it.

Club boi

Quote from: Angelo on December 30, 2020, 10:27:35 PM

Yet you find it ridiculous that a 20 year old who has played one Championship game, has an awful lot of physical development to make yet might find it hard to dislodge a player like McAliskey returning to the fold after a year out when he was the second top scorer in Championship football 2 years ago.

I think Tyrone need to be careful with a young player like Canavan, certainly. I don't think I'd be the only poster who would have that viewpoint here. Look if he comes in and keeps playing well, then fair play to him, he'll deserve his spot.

I found your post to be completely disrespectful to a proven intercounty performer like McAliskey. Why is it laughable that McAliskey would be ahead of Canavan? Their your words after all. Is it on the basis of the 50 minutes of Championship action Canavan has played? I do find that difficult to understand so maybe you should address it.

" I don't think I'd be the only poster who would have that viewpoint here"

Perhaps not, but your certainly the only one constantly argues with people who's opinion differs from yours

Unless you Logan or Dooher in secret, then everyone else is entitled to their opinion and guess what, your not always right. Again, unless your Donald Trump

GiveItToTheShooters

Alright numb nuts, so you're putting words in peoples mouths now. Do you want to pinpoint where i said that, put up, or shut up.
Ill tell you again.
Tyrone does not need to be "careful" with Canavan. For any reason. I've explained why. End of story.

Angelo

Quote from: Club boi on December 30, 2020, 10:41:54 PM

" I don't think I'd be the only poster who would have that viewpoint here"

Perhaps not, but your certainly the only one constantly argues with people who's opinion differs from yours

Unless you Logan or Dooher in secret, then everyone else is entitled to their opinion and guess what, your not always right. Again, unless your Donald Trump

Argue opinion?

I think you'll find it was the other way around here. Do you know the whole premise of a discussion forum or what do you think this is?

Angelo

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on December 30, 2020, 11:20:18 PM

Alright numb nuts, so you're putting words in peoples mouths now. Do you want to pinpoint where i said that, put up, or shut up.
Ill tell you again.
Tyrone does not need to be "careful" with Canavan. For any reason. I've explained why. End of story.

Having a laugh by choosing a player who was 2nd top scorer in Championship football 2 years ago both overall and from play over a 20 year old with 50 minutes championship experience. Your words, not mine.

At least I am man enough to stand over my comments and debate them rationally. You don't have the decency to clarify your comments on McAliskey.

GiveItToTheShooters

Morgan

Rafferty
McNamee
Brennan

Cassidy
Hampsey
O'Neill

Kennedy
R Donnelly

M Donnelly
McKenna
McCurry

Harte
McShane
McAliskey

Quote from: Angelo on December 31, 2020, 01:24:47 AM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on December 30, 2020, 11:20:18 PM

Ill tell you again.

Having a laugh by choosing a player who was 2nd top scorer in Championship football 2 years ago both overall and from play over a 20 year old with 50 minutes championship experience. Your words, not mine.

At least I am man enough to stand over my comments and debate them rationally. You don't have the decency to clarify your comments on McAliskey.

Wrong again you absolute clampit. It was Moonshine, not me. Get in the fuckin bin you complete fool. I think you'll find I havent mentioned him once  ;D We have got it in black and white now. ;D

Angelo

Fair enough, apologies re McAliskey.

What I said on Canavan I have explained fully. You seem to be under the impression 50 minutes of Championship has answered everything which is utter nonsense.

We have to be careful how we handle Canavan. If he performs very well but he will have a lot of pressure on him for his spot.

Mulgrew is an example of a young talent who was probably not well managed.

Angelo

How many senior club championship games has Canavan started?

GiveItToTheShooters

Hahaha you absolute fuckin clown. ;D
I've already explained why YOU'RE talking utter nonsense about Canavan, and why we DON'T need to be "careful" with him.
So therefore i'll leave it there, and i'll spare you the chance of making an absolute gobshite out of yourself yet again.
Good luck