Donegal v Monaghan - Sunday, March 26, 2017, 15:00 - Ballyshannon

Started by GrandMasterFlash, March 23, 2017, 10:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

I've a feeling this one will be a more 'open' affair compared to the heavyweight boxing competitions of late.. Last year in 'Blayney and the previous year in Leitir Ceanainn were difficult viewing, 'not one for the purist' as they might say..

Monaghan's defence has been robust and work vrey hard but Donegal showed on Sat last that they are well capable of breaching the massed defence, with both a running game and kicking from distance. Some of their kong range point scoring, specifically from Ciaran Thompson, was first class..

There he goes, talking up the opposition...  ::)

Fuzzman

Donegal did kick some amazing scores from distance and well deserved their 6 point win but it was far from open football. These new Donegal lads are hell bent on proving they are not a team in decline and are well up for the fight.

They've been growing in confidence from their first game out v Kerry, a draw with Dublin and then hammered Tyrone last Saturday night.
I would expect a similar style game against ye lot as I think it would really benefit Donegal to get to a league final and get a pop at Dublin again. Both teams have tough last games (as do Tyrone) so I'd say both will be out to bust a gut to win this. Winning a national league does give your team great confidence and belief

J70

twohands!!!

Will Donegal be resting their U21 players or what given the semi v Cavan is on next Wednesday?

cluaineois

Just got my tickets for Ballyshannon. Can anyone confirm throw-in time as tickets have a 2pm start. Thanks
once your a clone your never alone

J70

Quote from: twohands!!! on March 23, 2017, 05:47:26 PM
Will Donegal be resting their U21 players or what given the semi v Cavan is on next Wednesday?

I would think some of them, at least, will be rested. Doesn't leave a lot of options though.

Main Street

Seeing that we have taken Donegal's honour in Letterkenny and Ballybofey, it's now time to make our mark in Ballyshannon, if we succeed, then the whole county is ours.

Monaghan team is unchanged.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: cluaineois on March 23, 2017, 07:43:19 PM
Just got my tickets for Ballyshannon. Can anyone confirm throw-in time as tickets have a 2pm start. Thanks

GAA.ie have it as 3pm (http://www.gaa.ie/). The Cavan v Kerry game is the only game in the round that is scheduled for 2pm, I assume for the travelling support.

TG4 are showing: Live coverage of Tyrone v Mayo from Healy Park, Omagh in the sixth round of the Allianz Football League and deferred coverage of Clare v Waterford from Cusack Park, Ennis in the fifth round of the Allianz Hurling League (http://www.tg4.ie/en/schedule/), though I doubt that has any bearing.

Fuzzman

I wonder will Donegal settle the heads a bit now that they're safe in Div 1.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Donegal and Tyrone have been hit with proposed €3,000 fines for an altercation that flared up in their Allianz FL encounter in Ballybofey on Saturday night last.
Dublin and Kerry are also in line for similar sanctions arising out of incidents involving their players in Tralee after the Central Competition Controls Committee examined footage of the game.
It is the second fine in a matter of weeks for Donegal for incidents involving their players. A sideline altercation on the night that they played Cavan in Kingspan Breffni Park merited proposed fines of €2,000 for both counties.

There is concern among counties who feature regularly in matches that are broadcast live that they are in the firing line for such incidents when others, away from the cameras, are escaping punishment for similar incidents.

upmonaghansayswe

Quote from: Main Street on March 24, 2017, 10:58:21 AM
Seeing that we have taken Donegal's honour in Letterkenny and Ballybofey, it's now time to make our mark in Ballyshannon, if we succeed, then the whole county is ours.

Never thought we would be back in Ballyshannon for a league game. Have vague memories of playing Donegal in 2004 there. Remember thinking Jason Hughes mightn't have got sent off if he hadn't worn luminous gloves - you could spot every dig he was giving a mile off..

ck

Quote from: J70 on March 23, 2017, 09:42:26 PM

I would think some of them, at least, will be rested. Doesn't leave a lot of options though.

The word from Donegal is that Rory Gallagher doesnt give a damn about the u21 championship and wont be resting any players.

twohands!!!

Quote from: ck on March 24, 2017, 09:38:08 PM

The word from Donegal is that Rory Gallagher doesnt give a damn about the u21 championship and wont be resting any players.

Might be an opportunity for a bet on Donegal opponents in either the semi  (v Cavan) or the final (either Derry or Armagh) as the U21 semi is this Wednesday and the final the following Wednesday, especially if some of Donegal's bigger names at U21 get more game time with the seniors in the Monaghan and Mayo games. The fact that there was extra-time and a replay against Tyrone probably wouldn't help matters.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: twohands!!! on March 25, 2017, 12:32:30 AM
Quote from: ck on March 24, 2017, 09:38:08 PM

Might be an opportunity for a bet on Donegal opponents in either the semi  (v Cavan) or the final (either Derry or Armagh) as the U21 semi is this Wednesday and the final the following Wednesday, especially if some of Donegal's bigger names at U21 get more game time with the seniors in the Monaghan and Mayo games. The fact that there was extra-time and a replay against Tyrone probably wouldn't help matters.

The U21's who are involved in the senior team are loving life at the moment & can't wait for the next game to come along. At their age two games in a week is no big deal & as the old saying goes "playing beats training any day of the week".
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

J70

Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on March 24, 2017, 05:17:46 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 24, 2017, 10:58:21 AM

Never thought we would be back in Ballyshannon for a league game. Have vague memories of playing Donegal in 2004 there. Remember thinking Jason Hughes mightn't have got sent off if he hadn't worn luminous gloves - you could spot every dig he was giving a mile off..

Was that the day Devenney rescued a draw for us with a hattrick of goals?

J70

Actually the Democrat talk about that 2004 game this week. Devenney scored 3-1. Donegal got 1-2 in the couple of minutes to win by a point, 3-6 to 1-11 (I remember I was walking behind the goals, pissed off, on the way to the car when they turned it around.) Paul Durcan made his Donegal debut that day.

Donegal are unbeaten in Ballyshannon since 2009. Dublin last team to win there. Mind you, we only play one game there, at most, each season.

http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/news/sport/241400/can-donegal-s-paddy-mcgrath-complete-hat-trick-against-monaghan-on-sunday.html