Author Topic: Tyrone County Football and Hurling  (Read 2468776 times)

HokeyPokey

• Holy Test!
    • View Profile
Re: Tyrone County Football and Hurling
« Reply #14310 on: September 16, 2021, 09:07:41 AM »
Morgan - 30
McNamee - 30
Harte - 30
M. Donnelly - 30
T. McCann - 30
Sludden - 29
McCurry - 28

Any concerns about any of the lads calling it a day? There's a big fall off once lads hit 30, I doubt too many of them will have more than a handful of seasons and that's really the spine of the team. If we could get another few years of them and then you'd be looking at the minors from this year starting to break through we could be OK.

I think the 03-08 era team had more individually great players in the first 15, but there's 30 or more players where there wouldn't be a massive step down in the current panel. The 03-08 team was breaking new ground and did get caught out when there wasn't something to prove as much. I think they should have won more. This team still isn't rated fully by the nation, has the back-to-back to look to and 3 AIs to aim to surpass. So I think the above players will stick around for another season or two at least.

The above are all brilliant players, but I think there are other good players who could come in and do a job, and there are more players coming through. I think Morgan, as a GK, could keep going for a few years and only now seems to have fully hit his stride, but he does have a young family. Though, Gallen looked very good in that game he played a few years back. McNamee is the only one of the above where I can't yet think of another player with a similar profile to replace him.
No Ifs, No buts, No Maybes, TOTAL FAITH

redhandefender

• View Profile
« Reply #14311 on: September 16, 2021, 09:27:02 AM »
Morgan - 30
McNamee - 30
Harte - 30
M. Donnelly - 30
T. McCann - 30
Sludden - 29
McCurry - 28

Any concerns about any of the lads calling it a day? There's a big fall off once lads hit 30, I doubt too many of them will have more than a handful of seasons and that's really the spine of the team. If we could get another few years of them and then you'd be looking at the minors from this year starting to break through we could be OK.

I think the 03-08 era team had more individually great players in the first 15, but there's 30 or more players where there wouldn't be a massive step down in the current panel. The 03-08 team was breaking new ground and did get caught out when there wasn't something to prove as much. I think they should have won more. This team still isn't rated fully by the nation, has the back-to-back to look to and 3 AIs to aim to surpass. So I think the above players will stick around for another season or two at least.

The above are all brilliant players, but I think there are other good players who could come in and do a job, and there are more players coming through. I think Morgan, as a GK, could keep going for a few years and only now seems to have fully hit his stride, but he does have a young family. Though, Gallen looked very good in that game he played a few years back. McNamee is the only one of the above where I can't yet think of another player with a similar profile to replace him.

McNamee has a club mate who could replace him handy enough there

kickitin

• View Profile
« Reply #14312 on: September 16, 2021, 11:17:21 AM »
Morgan - 30
McNamee - 30
Harte - 30
M. Donnelly - 30
T. McCann - 30
Sludden - 29
McCurry - 28

McNamee has a club mate who could replace him handy enough there

i'm looking forward to hearing who this is.. mc glinchey? moss? byrne? dolan?

Jayop

• View Profile
« Reply #14313 on: September 16, 2021, 08:55:23 PM »
Getting a while feeling from listening to a few radio interviews and podcasts that McShane isn't the most popular member of the panel, at least not with a few lads especially Morgan.

Can't tell if it's more than a bit of good natured jibing or more deep seated.

tyrone08

• View Profile
« Reply #14314 on: September 16, 2021, 09:00:29 PM »
Getting a while feeling from listening to a few radio interviews and podcasts that McShane isn't the most popular member of the panel, at least not with a few lads especially Morgan.

Heard the Morgan interview. Who else has been saying it. Colm cavanagh said Morgan and mcshane were cutting lumps out of each after training

tyrone08

• View Profile
« Reply #14315 on: September 16, 2021, 09:36:56 PM »
Does anyone know if you can watch the final back on sky online

Jayop

• View Profile
« Reply #14316 on: September 16, 2021, 10:33:52 PM »

Heard the Morgan interview. Who else has been saying it. Colm cavanagh said Morgan and mcshane were cutting lumps out of each after training

The original Morgan interview, the colm cav comments on that and then the morgan and meyler comments on the BBC sounds pod from monday.

Jayop

• View Profile
« Reply #14317 on: September 16, 2021, 10:35:04 PM »
Does anyone know if you can watch the final back on sky online

I dunno but the full game is there on youtube in HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0MVMs4nxx4

ONeill

• Shoving Connie Around The Room
    • View Profile
« Reply #14318 on: September 17, 2021, 12:28:02 AM »
Fergal Logan a free run at it with a team of Dooher, Holmes, McMahon and Pete Donnelly back in according to radio Ulster.

See quote and onwards. Most of us saw it as a good move. What's the plans next year?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

• View Profile
    • Cumann Mhic Sioghair CLG, An Srath Bán
« Reply #14319 on: September 17, 2021, 11:01:47 AM »

No harm at all in that, keeps both of them honest!  :)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Jayop

• View Profile
« Reply #14320 on: September 17, 2021, 05:39:40 PM »
Fergal Logan a free run at it with a team of Dooher, Holmes, McMahon and Pete Donnelly back in according to radio Ulster.

See quote and onwards. Most of us saw it as a good move. What's the plans next year?

Try to take over the world.

never kickt a ball

• hypocRiTEs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14321 on: September 18, 2021, 01:32:29 AM »

Try to take over the world.

I’d like to see more seagulls at all of the Tyrone games. They went missing in the Kerry and Mayo games. Probably to do with Covid?

Twobounces

• View Profile
« Reply #14322 on: September 18, 2021, 04:08:05 PM »
Thinking back on the season and a few things struck me.

Tyrone were very lucky that it was a straight knockout.  Reason for this is that Tyrone were battle hardened throughout Ulster by having to play Donegal & Monaghan.  These games stood to Tyrone so when they met Kerry they knew where they were strong and weak at.  Kerry & Dublin on the other hand weren't battle hardened and failed once the pressure was put on them. If there was a back door or Super 8's these teams would have learnt from these games and came back stronger.

The other point is Logan & Dooher sticking with players.  In previous years under Harte guys got like a half and if they didn't perform that was it.  Logan & Dooher persisted with these players (two midfielders) and it is bound to give them great confidence that their managers will stand by them.  Thankfully it was repaid in the final. 

Baile an tuaigh

• mac uilin clg 1907-2007Na Gleannta Glas d'Aontriom
    • View Profile
« Reply #14323 on: September 18, 2021, 11:52:09 PM »
Just watching the All Ireland again and Frank Burns dose a serious amount of work. Dose anyone else think Kennedy and Kilpatrick look a like? Or do I need to eat more carrots.

sensethetone

• View Profile
« Reply #14324 on: September 19, 2021, 07:01:32 AM »
Just watching the All Ireland again and Frank Burns dose a serious amount of work. Dose anyone else think Kennedy and Kilpatrick look a like? Or do I need to eat more carrots.

Burns was busy.. took a sideline ball from the wrong place, there wasn't much in It,.

The hop ball from that is taken near the D?