NFL Division 1 - 2020

Started by thejuice, January 07, 2020, 12:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornetto

Its gas what a week in football does last week Tyrone done a great job of beating a top class team as in Kerry, this week they are being talked about as relegation contenders for fecks sake they came within 3 pts a man down hit the post a couple of times I don't think they will be relegated and the scoreline is a bit deceiving from yesterday how good galway are will be seen when mayo & dubs come to town.

dublin7

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 24, 2020, 04:55:52 PM
Will you be happier if someone says the only reason Tyrone lost yesterday was because of that red card?
The lad went for the big shot, mistimed it and got the card he deserved, give it a f**king rest at this stage.

Also Tyrone were alreadly 3/4 points behind and struggling all over the pitch at the time. Your farcical defense of the red card is only small fry compared to the poor performance by Tyrone. I'd be far more worried about that than a deserved red card if I was you

Angelo

I see the glass house collective can't leave their bias at the door.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Maroon Manc

Aidan O'Rourke's column from the RTE website;

The freshly reimagined Tribesmen have attacked this year's Allianz League with the energy of a squad emboldened by new opportunities. There are only a few new faces, but Pádraic Joyce's players have responded to their new stimuli as well as any management could hope for.

If players feel supported and that they will have opportunities to prove their worth, new coaching teams should always feel a short term bounce in energy and buy-in. Galway have achieved that – as Monaghan have – and the impact of coaching messages will be enhanced as a result.

Opponents have now had four opportunities to examine what is different about Galway so far. Sitting on top of the league, the Tribesmen can expect teams to now set up to counteract their strengths.

What is Different?

There are a number of traits that this Galway team have built in the short window they've had that are different from the Kevin Walsh era – both with and without the ball.

The element of their game identified most readily as progression is the quality of their kicking. This has indeed been impressive and the depth of players capable of looking for and executing the right pass in attack paints a picture of an extremely skilful and perceptive team.

What makes that kick passing so effective is the quality of movement ahead and the collective understanding how and where the space to kick to will be created.

Attacking in Phases

Initially, when breaking from deep, Galway are looking for a longer outlet ball either side of their focal point at centre forward. That was mostly Damien Comer on Sunday but the rotation of their forward roles brings Shane Walsh into this area a lot. Both men bring power to their movement and so are brilliant targets to build off.

What that early ball does is bypass the warzone that middle thirds have become while teams attempt to build attacks. This is the area of the pitch where defending teams are most aggressive in the tackle because a foul beyond shooting range is a very good antidote to direct football.

Of course, Galway's wing forwards Daly and Brannigan will be nowhere near that area of the pitch until the outlet ball is won, thus both wings are available to be utilised if opponents don't protect them.

Inside Movement

Robert Finnerty has made his mark on the Galway full-forward line 
Playing with the elements in the opening period on Sunday, Joyce positioned his 13 and 15 as wide as was practical as their attacks developed. This created a wide central channel in front of Shane Walsh, who was positioned on the square – marked by Ronan McNamee and covered by Colm Cavanagh.

Finnerty and Varley were never getting the early ball inside unless plan A disappeared – their job was to maintain the space for Walsh and time their support runs cutting across from wide.

This is where Galway's kicking was most impressive. Walsh's movement was initially lateral before he shook McNamee off and raced outside Cavanagh. Accurate, angled balls found the Galway captain consistently and they were able to support hard off his shoulder to create shooting opportunities.

The variation of this in the second half when the elements were not as supportive saw Walsh come deeper as an additional outlet runner and Finnerty moved central.

Robert Finnerty has made a significant impact precisely because of Galway's style of play. He was unmarkable in league and championship this season for NUIG and his ball winning and finishing are a considerable addition to Pádraic Joyce's attacking options.

Patience When Required

The final piece of Galway's attacking jigsaw has been their control and collective understanding when their attacks are slowed and bodies are back. Immediately they empty the space in front of goal to create a perimeter around the shooting zone and probe for gaps in the defensive chain.

This is not a new approach by any means but their quick and accurate movement of the ball around contact created shooting opportunities right on the perimeter of comfortable shooting. Invariably they nailed those chances this weekend.

In Defence of the Tribe

Without the ball, what is different is Galway's desire to hunt the ball back around the middle as opposed to the tendency under Kevin Walsh to drop to middle third players into defined areas. Eamonn Brannigan is key to empowering this as his instinct for work means he can latch onto a cover player's man to create that single layer of a shield behind.

Typically, one defender is squeezed out the back of the middle to sit in as a cover player and everyone else gets to work pressing. Sean Mulkerrin filled that role more often than not against Tyrone and that has reinforced the Galway rearguard considerably. Earlier in the league John Daly filled this role and struggled with the decision making required to be effective.

Critical Analysis

The downside of performances to date is that opponents will prepare more diligently to take those effective strategies away and Meath will see opportunities this weekend.

If the Meath wing backs were to occupy their positions permanently, they could take away the early outlet ball that so many Galway attacks are built on. Immediately they are slowing the build up play and have defenders in position to exert maximum pressure as the Westerners try to probe for gaps thereafter.

Without the ball, where the Tribesmen can be exposed is through the time it takes them to drop a cover player back. On Sunday, Tyrone were pedestrian through the middle third and exhibited none of the kicking in attack that added a new dimension last Summer.

Ironically, Galway are vulnerable to their own attacking gameplan of kicking early as they leave a relatively significant window of man on man defence before the mechanics of their transition start to move.

A New Identity

Pádraic Joyce's side will no doubt have their sights on a league final appearance
At this stage of the campaign, Pádraic Joyce and his coaching team can only be delighted with the obvious progress they have achieved in forging a new identity through their play. How they use the ball represents many of the traditional values of the game people love to watch.

The next phase of development for Galway will begin over the last three rounds of the league as opponents attempt to take away their preferred style and force them to adapt on their feet. This will be the most important part of their learning ahead of the championship.

dublin7

Quote from: Angelo on February 24, 2020, 11:46:04 PM

The league table and McShane's injury would be far bigger issues you should be worried about. If it was Mickey Harte going on about it like you, then you might think he was just trying to take attention away from the manner of the defeat. Galway were dominating that game and the red cards merely meant the margin of victory was bigger than if Tyrone could have kept 15 men on the field

Taylor

Quote from: dublin7 on February 25, 2020, 09:45:01 AM
Quote from: Angelo on February 24, 2020, 11:46:04 PM

The league table and McShane's injury would be far bigger issues you should be worried about. If it was Mickey Harte going on about it like you, then you might think he was just trying to take attention away from the manner of the defeat. Galway were dominating that game and the red cards merely meant the margin of victory was bigger than if Tyrone could have kept 15 men on the field

Red card doesnt concern me - can have no complaints about it.
Galway were much sharper all over the field especially up front where they took their chances.

Donnelly will take tim to get back and up to match fitness - unlikely McShane will have much impact this season.

Add into this Harte still not finding his form that leaves McCurry under real pressure to deliver game after game.

I for one will be happy just to stay up in Div 1

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 25, 2020, 09:36:19 AM

Typically, one defender is squeezed out the back of the middle to sit in as a cover player and everyone else gets to work pressing. Sean Mulkerrin filled that role more often than not against Tyrone and that has reinforced the Galway rearguard considerably. Earlier in the league John Daly filled this role and struggled with the decision making required to be effective.

That part had me scratching my head. I thought John Daly was arguably man of the match in 2 of Galway's first 3 games.

rosnarun

I think the *rule now is collisons are allowed if both players are genuinely going for the ball rather than a shoulder charge being used like a rugby clearing out tackle

*this will not appear in any rule book and subject to change on a whim
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 25, 2020, 03:32:18 PM

That part had me scratching my head. I thought John Daly was arguably man of the match in 2 of Galway's first 3 games.
He was!  O'Rourke is wrong on that one for sure.  Daly has been our most consistent performer since the start of last years league!!!!

rodney trotter

David Brady was on OfF the ball earlier discussing Mayo football
https://t.co/xUarzoL4rO?amp=1

Cunny Funt

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 25, 2020, 03:32:18 PM

The majority of O'Rourke articles are head scratchers.

An Fhairche Abu

Galway team for the Meath match:
1   Connor Gleeson
2   Seán Kelly
3   Seán Ó Maoilchiaráin
4   Johnny Heaney
5   Liam Silke
6   John Daly
7   Cillian McDaid
8   Ronan Steede
9   Tom Flynn
10   Eamon Brannigan
11   Damien Comer
12   Michael Daly
13   Martin Farragher
14   Shane Walsh
15   Adrian Varley

O'Donnell very unlucky, thought he was excellent last Sunday and has played well so far in 2020 but now is the time to try out different combinations in the lines looking towards the summer.
Farragher in for the start, can't go any worse for him than his last appearance in the county jersey whatever else happens.

galwayman

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 25, 2020, 10:22:19 PM
1   Connor Gleeson
2   Seán Kelly
3   Seán Ó Maoilchiaráin
4   Johnny Heaney
5   Liam Silke
6   John Daly
7   Cillian McDaid
8   Ronan Steede
9   Tom Flynn
10   Eamon Brannigan
11   Damien Comer
12   Michael Daly
13   Martin Farragher
14   Shane Walsh
15   Adrian Varley

O'Donnell very unlucky, thought he was excellent last Sunday and has played well so far in 2020 but now is the time to try out different combinations in the lines looking towards the summer.
Farragher in for the start, can't go any worse for him than his last appearance in the county jersey whatever else happens.
Gary is unlucky for sure. The man rarely has a bad game for us.
Possibly Pj trying out combinations.
I think Daly has the number 6 shirt nailed on - O'Donnell, Silke, McDaid and Molloy probably fighting for the 2 starting wing back slots.
I know they have no points on the board but I think this is a very tricky game for us - especially immediately after Tyrone given the margin of victory.
One thing that is evident - we need to do something about our own kick outs.
We will be targeted there by the big boys later in the year.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: galwayman on February 26, 2020, 07:02:05 AM
I know they have no points on the board but I think this is a very tricky game for us - especially immediately after Tyrone given the margin of victory.

Galway have no win in 40 years in Navan apparently so it's not a happy hunting ground!
It's a stat that should have been put to bed in 2017 however when Galway somehow contrived to lose by a point despite being a good bit the better team in the second half, Danny Cummins missed a tap in goal chance when Galway were three up, Meath goaled near the end to win.

Kick out strategy and execution remains a fairly sizeable issue alright, we haven't seen much of an improvement in this area from the start of the year. Gleeson does bring a lot between the posts outside of this in fairness to him but it's probably the most important factor for a goalkeeper these days.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: galwayman on February 26, 2020, 07:02:05 AM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 25, 2020, 10:22:19 PM
1   Connor Gleeson
2   Seán Kelly
3   Seán Ó Maoilchiaráin
4   Johnny Heaney
5   Liam Silke
6   John Daly
7   Cillian McDaid
8   Ronan Steede
9   Tom Flynn
10   Eamon Brannigan
11   Damien Comer
12   Michael Daly
13   Martin Farragher
14   Shane Walsh
15   Adrian Varley

Gary is unlucky for sure. The man rarely has a bad game for us.
Possibly Pj trying out combinations.
I think Daly has the number 6 shirt nailed on - O'Donnell, Silke, McDaid and Molloy probably fighting for the 2 starting wing back slots.
We will be targeted there by the big boys later in the year.
Molloy went off injured in the club final so I'm assuming he's injured?  He hasn't even featured in a match day squad so far in the league.  Gary is extremely unlucky to miss out, was excellent last Sunday and has actually improved this year IMHO.