NFL Division 1 - 2020

Started by thejuice, January 07, 2020, 12:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 24, 2020, 09:30:13 AM
Red card or not, it was one decision and not worth the time discussing it in so much detail as the reality was we were getting a trimming in that game regardless in my eyes. We were so poor. I lost count of the number of misplaced side wards passes that were cut out by a Galway player. We were so far off the pace it was unbelievable.

Fair play trueblue, reading back some messages here you would think that the red card was the sole deciding factor in the match.
From the old stand I thought it was very harsh at the time but having seen the replay back it's easy to see why it was given, Tyrone player very unlucky and I don't believe there was any intent to cause injury but at the end of the day he shouldered him into the jaw, what else is the ref supposed to do if he sees that foul? How do you give leeway on this? McGeary mistimed it by a second and caught him in the head, those are the breaks.

Quote from: Angelo on February 24, 2020, 10:24:34 AM
His shoulder did not make contact with the Galway player's jaw.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you were at the match and haven't seen it back yet, because it's either that or you are just willfully lying to yourself, it's as clear as day on the replay.

Hard to do any right analysis of that match given the red cards and the horrific injury to the main man for Tyrone, Galway I thought were the better team when the numbers were equal but at the same time they were quite open at the back when run at down the middle and Tyrone could have got through a number of times, would have been a very different look on it if some of the Tyrone attempts had been more accurate.
I liked that Galway kept piling it on even when the game was already done and dusted, we need to be ruthless and scoring difference could be very important for the league placing yet.

Gleeson is a super shot stopper but the kickout situation remains very much a work in progress. Not being able to find a Galway player consistently every time when the 15v14 advantage was there was disappointing, at the business end of the year this could be the difference between winning and losing.
Steede kicked some absolute dingers in the first half, great to see him looking a bit more comfortable at this level, was around the play a lot more but still plenty of improvement required.
Others will say enough about Shane Walsh here and elsewhere but he is worth the price of match admission on his own at the minute, that point from play in the first half from the right hand side was something special, the camera angle from the opposite side doesn't do it full justice, from the stands it looked even more outrageous.
Comer however remains just as key to Galway's fortunes, there isn't another player in the country quite like him in terms of the challenge he presents and the attention he gets from the opposition as a result makes it that so much easier for his teammates. Looking at the sad sight of McShane being carried off yesterday I thought that if either Walsh or Comer unfortunately got injured in a similar manner I don't know what Galway would do, they are absolutely irreplaceable.

Whatever about the result of a February league match it really was terrible to see the bad McShane injury, I think everyone there knew it was a horrible one straight away, wishing him as speedy a recovery as possible but it'll no doubt take some time unfortunately given the seriousness of it. I feel for Tyrone fans as this is devastating for them given the calibre of the player he is, McShane is absolutely top class.

lenny

Quote from: lenny on February 24, 2020, 10:16:24 AM
Quote from: Angelo on February 24, 2020, 09:57:46 AM
Quote from: galwayman on February 24, 2020, 09:47:50 AM
Quote from: Angelo on February 24, 2020, 09:35:22 AM
Quote from: highorlow on February 24, 2020, 09:25:32 AM

If you are giving a red card for that then you have to outlaw the shoulder challenge

It's supposed to be shoulder to shoulder. Once it's executed correctly it's one of the most pleasurable tackles in the Game.

You correct though, it's a fine line for the tackler. Love watching this one!

https://youtu.be/MQZemthWLLA

It is and I have no qualms with that but if you are giving red cards for lads being a split second late with a shoulder tackle then they should not be allowed.

In football nowadays if your two feet leave the ground in a tackle, it's red card irrespective of whether the ball is played or not. If they are going to justify the decision to send McGeary off like that then they can't defend the use of a shoulder challenge.

It's a yellow card at most, it's fair attempt to hit him a shoulder, the Galway player changes direction at the last second and gets caught. I've heard people going on about elbows being used but they have some imaginations to see an elbow there.

There has to be leeway that sometimes players are going to be a split second late, particularly with the pace of the game now.
No in fairness to McGeary there was no raised elbow there (from my vantage point on the sideline I had thought he caught him with the elbow but replays showed this was not the case).
He was unlucky - a second earlier and there is no head contact.

It comes down to whether what McGeary did was either reckless or dangerous.

It was genuine attempt to hit a legitimate shoulder, his stance in executing the shoulder was textbook for a legitimate shoulder challenge but his timing was a split second out.

A genuine attempt to execute the shoulder charge but the timing was out by a fraction, a yellow card would have sufficed. If referees are deeming legitimate tackles that could be out by a fraction as reckless and dangerous then those tackles should be outlawed completely from the game, otherwise policing it becomes an absolute minefield.

It's frustrating as the impact red cards have in the game today is monumental. I think we were 5 points down at that time but we were still well in the game, we had carved Galway open for at least three goal chances by then and hit the post 4 times.

Referees need to be absolutely certain when issuing a red card, there's no way Lane could have been.

You said it comes down to whether what he did was reckless or dangerous. It can be said with certainty that what he did was dangerous. His shoulder made sickening contact with the Galway players jaw and he definitely looked concussed. It was just pure luck he didn't suffer a broken jaw or a bad concussion. Oisin mcconville summed it up last night when he said it was an unnecessary type of tackle because he'd have been much better off trying to tackle or strip the ball.

That makes no sense whatsoever. What McGeary did do was a textbook shoulder challenge that was mistimed as a fraction. If you deem tackles like that in the game to have the potential to be highly dangerous or reckless if mistimed by the nth degree then you simply have to ban it wholesale. The GAA allow for shoulder tackles to be used, therefore they can't deem them reckless or dangerous if they are genuine attempts and mistimed by a fraction. It's fairly straight forward, as usual you can't leave you bias and bitterness at the door. We all know you'd be singing off a completely different hymn sheet if the roles were reversed.

His shoulder did not make contact with the Galway player's jaw. the player was not concussed and was up on his feet looking sprightly shortly after and was checked over by medical staff. At least have the manners to talk about things that actually happened rather than letting your imagination run wild.

Let's not get emotional and simply look at the facts. The tackle was dangerous, that much can be said with certainty, and is therefore worthy of a red card. Once again I will say that I don't think mcgeary is in any way a dirty player but that type of tackle deserves a red card every time.

Main Street

How many Mayo supporters made the trip to Clones? it looked like they grabbed the best seats in the Gerry Arthurs Stand, like the Germans on the beaches.

galwayman

If you are giving a red card for that then you have to outlaw the shoulder challenge

It's supposed to be shoulder to shoulder. Once it's executed correctly it's one of the most pleasurable tackles in the Game.

It is and I have no qualms with that but if you are giving red cards for lads being a split second late with a shoulder tackle then they should not be allowed.

In football nowadays if your two feet leave the ground in a tackle, it's red card irrespective of whether the ball is played or not. If they are going to justify the decision to send McGeary off like that then they can't defend the use of a shoulder challenge.

It's a yellow card at most, it's fair attempt to hit him a shoulder, the Galway player changes direction at the last second and gets caught. I've heard people going on about elbows being used but they have some imaginations to see an elbow there.

There has to be leeway that sometimes players are going to be a split second late, particularly with the pace of the game now.
No in fairness to McGeary there was no raised elbow there (from my vantage point on the sideline I had thought he caught him with the elbow but replays showed this was not the case).

It was genuine attempt to hit a legitimate shoulder, his stance in executing the shoulder was textbook for a legitimate shoulder challenge but his timing was a split second out.

A genuine attempt to execute the shoulder charge but the timing was out by a fraction, a yellow card would have sufficed. If referees are deeming legitimate tackles that could be out by a fraction as reckless and dangerous then those tackles should be outlawed completely from the game, otherwise policing it becomes an absolute minefield.

It's frustrating as the impact red cards have in the game today is monumental. I think we were 5 points down at that time but we were still well in the game, we had carved Galway open for at least three goal chances by then and hit the post 4 times.

Referees need to be absolutely certain when issuing a red card, there's no way Lane could have been.

You said it comes down to whether what he did was reckless or dangerous. It can be said with certainty that what he did was dangerous. His shoulder made sickening contact with the Galway players jaw and he definitely looked concussed. It was just pure luck he didn't suffer a broken jaw or a bad concussion. Oisin mcconville summed it up last night when he said it was an unnecessary type of tackle because he'd have been much better off trying to tackle or strip the ball.

That makes no sense whatsoever. What McGeary did do was a textbook shoulder challenge that was mistimed as a fraction. If you deem tackles like that in the game to have the potential to be highly dangerous or reckless if mistimed by the nth degree then you simply have to ban it wholesale. The GAA allow for shoulder tackles to be used, therefore they can't deem them reckless or dangerous if they are genuine attempts and mistimed by a fraction. It's fairly straight forward, as usual you can't leave you bias and bitterness at the door. We all know you'd be singing off a completely different hymn sheet if the roles were reversed.

His shoulder did not make contact with the Galway player's jaw. the player was not concussed and was up on his feet looking sprightly shortly after and was checked over by medical staff. At least have the manners to talk about things that actually happened rather than letting your imagination run wild.
Seriously man - are you blind? Regardless of the rights and wrongs of the red card - his shoulder absolutely 100% does make contact with Brannigan's jaw. To say anything else is just wrong.

Angelo

Quote from: galwayman on February 24, 2020, 11:18:02 AM

Seriously man - are you blind? Regardless of the rights and wrongs of the red card - his shoulder absolutely 100% does make contact with Brannigan's jaw. To say anything else is just wrong.

It did alright.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Cunny Funt

It's looking good for a repeat of the 2018 league final between Galway and Dublin but Monaghan might have a say in that yet.

Relegation, Mayo will find a way out of it (they always do) when is Cillian O Connor due back? Donegal v Tyrone will probably be a relegation decider I reckon.

Broken ankle for Cathal McShane by the looks of it. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

square_ball

Watched it several times this morning. I'm convinced McGeary never made contact with the head.

BennyCake

Quote from: Main Street on February 24, 2020, 11:14:41 AM
How many Mayo supporters made the trip to Clones? it looked like they grabbed the best seats in the Gerry Arthurs Stand, like the Germans on the beaches.

Don't you mean "on the sun loungers"? On the beaches could mean something totally different!

GaillimhIarthair

Weird game in Tuam yesterday and any analysis would have to be tempered due to the sendings off and the terrible injury to McShane - wish him a speedy recovery, he is a class player.

We were the better team while the sides were numerically matched but were definitely opened up a little too easy for my liking at times.  That being said, our first meaningful attack should have yielded a goal!  Our KO's were aimless I thought for most of the game and a lot of work needs to be done there otherwise it will come back to haunt us as the year plays out.  Hopefully yesterdays game will give Steede the confidence to push on at this level, he kicked a few great scores albeit he had acres of space in which to do so. 

Shane Walsh is just a joy to watch at the moment and a coaches dream and I say that from my own perspective.  I had my your fella (11) and his buddy with me in Tuam at the game and they were just enthralled with his ability off both feet and his pace. Nothing would do them but to get out on the pitch afterwards just to tell him well done and home after to bate the ball off the rebounder but with a lot less dexterity that Shane - maybe that will come with time!!!  ;D 

Very much looking forward to a great tussle with Meath in Navan next weekend - its been a very enjoyable league campaign to date.

Hound

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 23, 2020, 09:44:07 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on February 23, 2020, 09:03:48 PM
Tim O Leary calling for Horam out on Twitter. He said he was the best man for the job a few days ago.
He's seems an eejit, with money to burn.

He's a loose cannon. Probably will cause more hassle later on this year too.
He has deleted the outburst and tweeted the following this morning:

Sorry for my outburst yesterday - had a few too many pints - lesson learned - i am going to keep my mouth shut going forward - have a good week

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Hound on February 24, 2020, 12:18:40 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 23, 2020, 09:44:07 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on February 23, 2020, 09:03:48 PM
Tim O Leary calling for Horam out on Twitter. He said he was the best man for the job a few days ago.
He's seems an eejit, with money to burn.

He's a loose cannon. Probably will cause more hassle later on this year too.
He has deleted the outburst and tweeted the following this morning:

Sorry for my outburst yesterday - had a few too many pints - lesson learned - i am going to keep my mouth shut going forward - have a good week

For someone with too much to drink he wasn't making any spelling errors with his tweets which included a number of replies stating it was his opinion as many Mayo supporters asked him to remove that original tweet

Lar Naparka

Anyone know why Matty Ruane is not playing at the moment? Along with Foinn McDonagh he was the pick of the new hopefuls last season and Mayo needs inspiration from somewhere right now.
A few promising kids there right now but there's no David Clifford among them.Harrison, O'Connor, Higgins etc. etc. may be pressed into action from here on but if they are out through injury, there will be questions about their match fitness.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

larryin89

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 24, 2020, 01:13:55 PM
Anyone know why Matty Ruane is not playing at the moment? Along with Foinn McDonagh he was the pick of the new hopefuls last season and Mayo needs inspiration from somewhere right now.
A few promising kids there right now but there's no David Clifford among them.Harrison, O'Connor, Higgins etc. etc. may be pressed into action from here on but if they are out through injury, there will be questions about their match fitness.

Rumour has it McDonagh was cut from panel for indiscipline issue , I haven't a notion if true or not but kinda believe it cause he's not been involved so far . Ruane is injured afaik but again there is rumours the oz invite is in the post for himself and Mullen .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

MayoBuck

Ruane has a shoulder injury. Not sure if he'll play any of the league, he certainly won't feature against Kerry. Cillian is back training anyway but don't know if he'll be ready for next weekend.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: larryin89 on February 24, 2020, 01:25:52 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 24, 2020, 01:13:55 PM

Rumour has it McDonagh was cut from panel for indiscipline issue , I haven't a notion if true or not but kinda believe it cause he's not been involved so far . Ruane is injured afaik but again there is rumours the oz invite is in the post for himself and Mullen .

I've heard the same rumour about McDonagh myself.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.