NFL Division 1 - 2020

Started by thejuice, January 07, 2020, 12:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

southtyronegael

Gonna be a struggle to stay up now for Tyrone. Very tough run of games to come. Piss poor today.

twohands!!!

Quote from: galwayman on February 01, 2020, 08:49:17 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 01, 2020, 08:37:48 PM
Jaysus, Galway f**k it away down in Tralee. 3 points up. Game well into added time and Kerry finish with 1-1 to win by a point.

Sounded like some controversy over a black card at the end there and the officials not letting the player back on the field.
Yeah McDaid wasn't let on after his ten minutes were up as Gleeson was preparing to take a kick out.[/b]
Kerry kicked the winner from the next play.
Sounds like we were caught out trying to play keep ball at the back for the Kerry goal.
It seems we got a good performance though and this will be a good learning experience for that team.
On another note - that is Cillians third black card in 4 games this year - he really needs to sort that indiscipline out.

Was there a stoppage/delay after the black card was given but before play resumed ? - for an injury or something - the clock on the ten minutes only starts from the moment that play restarts after the black card is issued and the player has to wait until there is a break in play to come on again - it's not just a matter of once ten minutes are over they can come back on ?
Would be a pretty bad one for the 4th official to get wrong given all the recent talk about the new rules.

On the black card thing, I'd love to see the stats already in terms of them affecting games - like how much actual game time did the player miss, what sort of scoring difference have the teams with the man advantage gained, what is the record of teams who have had players black card versus the teams who haven't had anyone black-carded.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if managers start to sub off players who pick up black cards in the first half of games rather than risk picking up a yellow card and a straight red down the stretch.

twohands!!!

Quote from: southtyronegael on February 02, 2020, 06:31:00 PM
Gonna be a struggle to stay up now for Tyrone. Very tough run of games to come. Piss poor today.

Any word on Cathal McShane - saw an article that said he was meeting Harte this weekend and that Adelaide were keen to sign him.
You'd think if he wasn't heading to Oz he'd have had some sort of involvement today given he was in the crowd for the Meath game.

Blowitupref

Quote from: southtyronegael on February 02, 2020, 06:31:00 PM

Tyrones league from does be all over the place. How many years have they started slowly playing as you say piss poor and then hit good form whereby they are capable of beating any team in this division as seen with the win over Dublin in Croke Park last year
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Main Street

If Meath lose all their games, 6 points could well be the safety mark.

An Watcher

larryin89

Do ye not think Meath will beat out ladeens or at least give them a chance of doing so ? There is nothing to suggest we are better than Meath. 
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

StephenC

Quote from: thejuice on February 02, 2020, 04:46:32 PM
I don't think we're beating anyone sadly. You can't compete at the highest level with a makeshift forward line. We really quickly run out of ideas against a packed defense and don't have the individuals available to make something happen. Newman if fit could do something but we won't have him at all i the league.

It sounded like the referee bottled it and gave Murphy a yellow but I'm sure there'll be a hundred different opinions on it.

Watching it on TG4, I reckon a yellow was fair, and consistent with how the rest of the game was reffed.

Meaths defence was solid, but lacked any kind of cutting edge up front.

Dubhaltach

15 thousand people travelled to MacHale Park last night and all of them may as well have gone home again after 15 minutes due to the rash decision by Barry Cassidy. Everyone makes mistakes but the fact that he didn't even consult with his linesman was particularly poor. It's pointless analysing the game after that because the contest was as good as over.

From a Mayo point of view, one thing that has to be mentioned is the goal keeping issue. Rob Hennelly had a decent game last night and it's clear he's great kicker of a ball (when the squeeze isn't on him). He wasn't really at fault for the goal yesterday but at the same time, it was the type of goal that Clarke rarely concedes as Clarke usually takes man and ball out of it. I was looking at some stats recently and they don't lie. Excluding games against New York and London, Rob hasn't kept a clean sheet in championship since the Connacht Final in 2014. Last year, out of 71 matches across the championship, only on 5 occasions did the team that conceded more goals win. Conceding goals has been killing Mayo for the last decade and while the blame can't be fully placed with Rob, it's clear that a big mistake is never too far away with him. Last night he dropped another high ball that on another day could easily have gone in. I don't want to slate the lad because I'm sure he puts in hours every week but if we play him again come championship, it is going to end in tears...and the blame is going to rest with James Horan.

Eire90

i still think we should have semi final beetween 2nd and 3rd

macdanger2

Quote from: macdanger2 on January 24, 2020, 02:40:57 PM
Odds for topping winning the league:

Dublin 11/8
Kerry 3/1
Donegal 7/1
Mayo 8/1
Tyrone 8/1
Galway 10/1
Monaghan 16/1
Meath 50/1

To be relegated:

Meath 2/5
Monaghan 11/8
Galway 5/2
Tyrone 11/4
Mayo 3/1
Donegal 7/2
Kerry 8/1
Dublin 33/1

The bookies think Meath are a cert to go down with any one of the next 5 along with them.

Was just looking at the fixtures and Tyrone have a tough draw this year, home to Meath in the first round which presumably Meath will be fired up for and after that they have 4 away games plus home games against Dublin & Kerry.

Odds for winning the league outright:

Dublin 5/6
Kerry 9/4
Donegal 11/2
Mayo 28/1
Tyrone 20/1
Galway 12/1
Monaghan 25/1
Meath 500/1

To be relegated:

Meath 1/33
Monaghan 9/4
Galway 7/2
Tyrone 5/2
Mayo 15/8
Donegal 15/2
Kerry 50/1
Dublin 200/1

From the Bunker

Quote from: Eire90 on February 02, 2020, 10:21:53 PM
i still think we should have semi final beetween 2nd and 3rd

Yes, especially if Dublin finish third. That is revenue that could be lost.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 02, 2020, 11:00:33 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on January 24, 2020, 02:40:57 PM
Odds for topping winning the league:

Dublin 11/8
Kerry 3/1
Donegal 7/1
Mayo 8/1
Tyrone 8/1
Galway 10/1
Monaghan 16/1
Meath 50/1

To be relegated:

Meath 2/5
Monaghan 11/8
Galway 5/2
Tyrone 11/4
Mayo 3/1
Donegal 7/2
Kerry 8/1
Dublin 33/1

The bookies think Meath are a cert to go down with any one of the next 5 along with them.

Was just looking at the fixtures and Tyrone have a tough draw this year, home to Meath in the first round which presumably Meath will be fired up for and after that they have 4 away games plus home games against Dublin & Kerry.

Odds for winning the league outright:

Dublin 5/6
Kerry 9/4
Donegal 11/2
Mayo 28/1
Tyrone 20/1
Galway 12/1
Monaghan 25/1
Meath 500/1

To be relegated:

Meath 1/33
Monaghan 9/4
Galway 7/2
Tyrone 5/2
Mayo 15/8
Donegal 15/2
Kerry 50/1
Dublin 200/1

You could argue that Mayo's odds are too long (value) in both cases
Hasta la victoria siempre

Maroon Manc

Relying on highlights Galway really did miss a whole host of goal chances.

Did Duane get hooked early on because of poor performance? Sean Kelly did a good job at full back against Monaghan last year, wouldn't mind him getting a run as corner back.

How did D'Arcy & Steede do in the middle?

yellowcard

I thought the Mayo sending off was harsh but not really surprising. It's part of the sanitising of gaelic football that has been taking place year on year. It's long past the stage of being a physical contact sport where yellow cards are now doled out for fairly trivial personal fouls and in the process bringing down the threshold for what is deemed a red card offence. Colm O'Rourke could now be in bother with RTE after making a fairly throwaway remark about pansy boys as the PC brigade come out in force to attack him. Given RTEs recent propensity for political correctness it wouldn't surprise me if he too now faces the axe.