NFL Division 1 - 2020

Started by thejuice, January 07, 2020, 12:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: MayoBuck on January 27, 2020, 09:09:36 PM
Is he more famous than the Louth fan in 2010?

I would say yes

Few people outside Louth would know the names or would recognize the faces of the group of people who surrounded the referee in 2010

Manning18

Quote from: Main Street on January 27, 2020, 07:06:08 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 27, 2020, 03:57:41 PM
Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on January 27, 2020, 11:12:35 AM
Quote from: Main Street on January 27, 2020, 10:25:33 AM
Was it so that there was a pitch invasion after the final whistle at Salthill to celebrate a bare bones  one point home victory over the relegation favourites?
Kids running out to get a selfie or an autograph from their favourite player?  Happens after most games as far as I can see across the country and that's the way it should be.  Don't see the problem with it to be honest.
Its great to see and long may that GAA tradition continue, just a pity those at Croke Park have stopped such "invasions"
The Croke Park pitch invasion was not the same thing as a bunch of kids (supposedly) invading the Salthill pitch.

Though I would have thought scraping a one point win at home against a rusty relegation bound team would have rung alarm bells and boos all round.

Galway had a total of 4 starters from their last championship game, and 6 league debutants. I'd say most fans were pleasantly surprised they could beat, what was by all accounts, a Monaghan first 15.

tonto1888

Quote from: southtyronegael on January 27, 2020, 05:00:00 PM
He still on honeymoon Benny.

The selfish fecker!!! Doesn't he know we need him home for our FF teams ffs

larryin89

Quote from: Manning18 on January 27, 2020, 09:32:12 PM
Was it so that there was a pitch invasion after the final whistle at Salthill to celebrate a bare bones  one point home victory over the relegation favourites?
Kids running out to get a selfie or an autograph from their favourite player?  Happens after most games as far as I can see across the country and that's the way it should be.  Don't see the problem with it to be honest.
Its great to see and long may that GAA tradition continue, just a pity those at Croke Park have stopped such "invasions"
The Croke Park pitch invasion was not the same thing as a bunch of kids (supposedly) invading the Salthill pitch.

Though I would have thought scraping a one point win at home against a rusty relegation bound team would have rung alarm bells and boos all round.

Galway had a total of 4 starters from their last championship game, and 6 league debutants. I'd say most fans were pleasantly surprised they could beat, what was by all accounts, a Monaghan first 15.

How did that last championship game go for ye ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Manning18

Quote from: larryin89 on January 27, 2020, 09:48:05 PM

We got beaten. How's every championship season of your life ended for you?

It's a bit scary that you're 30+. Sad little man

galwayman

Quote from: larryin89 on January 27, 2020, 09:48:05 PM

Are you naturally condescending or only on internet message boards?
That's the type of juvenile post Syferus would have been proud of.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 27, 2020, 11:49:22 AM

Too much talk about Galway in certain circles, Colm Parkinson and the lad from Mayo on his podcast both tipping Galway to get to the final.
I think a lot are tipping Galway to go well in this league because they reached the final in 2018 and at half time in the round 7 game last year Galway were on course to reach the final again.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

mouview

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 27, 2020, 10:36:58 PM

Too much talk about Galway in certain circles, Colm Parkinson and the lad from Mayo on his podcast both tipping Galway to get to the final.
I think a lot are tipping Galway to go well in this league because they reached the final in 2018 and at half time in the round 7 game last year Galway were on course to reach the final again.

The difference this time round though is that Galway are under a new manager with a de facto new playing style. To reach a final again under such circumstances would mean probably beating one of Dublin (showing no signs of taking it easy) or a Kerry team hoping to push on again this season. A big ask. I think yesterday's 'invasion' (which happens after every game in Pearse stadium) was a natural reaction to winning a very tight match. One of the big takeaways from yesterday was that at last Galway played football their fans could care about.

Bit of a curious match yesterday from a Tribes viewpoint. Individually, all the defenders looked quite good, yet as a collective they were under a lot of pressure, especially in the closing stages. This probably due to drawbacks further out the field; a new inexperienced midfielder in D'Arcy and one, Conroy, whose legs just can't carry him about the field so well nowadays. Allied to this, you had a HF line who weren't tracking back too well or working hard enough to stop the runners coming through. I pointed out here last week my misgivings about the 2 wing-forwards. Boyle didn't go well but Ml. Daly was quite disappointing; he just doesn't have the pace to beat a player one-on-one with the ball. I think he'll be under real pressure to start come c'ship time. On the plus side, his brother looks quite good at no. 6, while captaincy seems to suits Shane Walsh; thought he really stood up yesterday and demanded the ball when the going got tough. One shameful high and late hit on him after he had delivered the ball should have yielded red.

Onwards to Tralee.

highorlow

With PJ on board Galway will be unstoppable this year. It's only a matter of time before the media get wise to this.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

rosnarun

Quote from: highorlow on January 28, 2020, 10:08:34 AM
With PJ on board Galway will be unstoppable this year. It's only a matter of time before the media get wise to this.
they have been ender achieving for the last few years. I think they have not looked padded beating mayo and feel their season is a success if they do that .
Boxcar's son may be the missing piece of the Jigsaw
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: mouview on January 27, 2020, 11:27:30 PM
The difference this time round though is that Galway are under a new manager with a de facto new playing style. To reach a final again under such circumstances would mean probably beating one of Dublin (showing no signs of taking it easy) or a Kerry team hoping to push on again this season. A big ask.
It would be a minor miracle for Galway to make it through to league final given the upheaval in both the players who are out on the pitch and the major change in the tactical approach, I cannot understand how anyone would be tipping them for a league final.

One of the big takeaways from yesterday was that at last Galway played football their fans could care about.
I think it's very likely that Galway will take a fair clipping or two in this league while adjusting to a very different playing method, I wouldn't be waiting on Galway's fickle football fans to have any patience when this happens just because they are enamoured with the style of play.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 28, 2020, 10:53:59 AM
The difference this time round though is that Galway are under a new manager with a de facto new playing style. To reach a final again under such circumstances would mean probably beating one of Dublin (showing no signs of taking it easy) or a Kerry team hoping to push on again this season. A big ask.
It would be a minor miracle for Galway to make it through to league final given the upheaval in both the players who are out on the pitch and the major change in the tactical approach, I cannot understand how anyone would be tipping them for a league final.

One of the big takeaways from yesterday was that at last Galway played football their fans could care about.
I think it's very likely that Galway will take a fair clipping or two in this league while adjusting to a very different playing method, I wouldn't be waiting on Galway's fickle football fans to have any patience when this happens just because they are enamoured with the style of play.
All very true AFA and the first of those "clippings" is very likely this coming Sat evening in Tralee based on the 2 teams' respective performances over the weekend.  We are a long way off the standard that was on view in CP.

galwayman

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on January 28, 2020, 11:06:04 AM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 28, 2020, 10:53:59 AM

All very true AFA and the first of those "clippings" is very likely this coming Sat evening in Tralee based on the 2 teams' respective performances over the weekend.  We are a long way off the standard that was on view in CP.
100% - we are going to take a beating before too long. We probably don't have defenders who are good enough in 1v1 defending situations to play such an open game. I couldn't make Pearse on Sunday but from talking to the brother and other friends who were there and would know their football reasonably well - it seems as if tracking runners from deep was a massive problem which led to defenders having to hold their ground and allow the easy tap over point to avoid conceding a goal chance on the overlap.
This along with the kickouts seem to be two areas we need to tighten up on.
But it's early days so hopefully we can improve in these areas before championship.
In reality we have got an easy draw - New York and home to Sligo to make a Connacht final is what Pj would have wanted.

Manning18

Watching the first half of the Galway game the last day, it was playing Tyrone in particular that I was thinking i'd be afraid of. The Roscommon Super 8's game 2 years ago where they tore them asunder with deep runners is a perfect example. They've done similar against plenty of teams, Cavan last year, Cork the year before etc. Donegal would be scary in that regard also, and obviously Dublin.

While Kerry's half backs and MF are plenty capable, I think theyre more likely to play an orthodox football game against us and let it in long. Which doesn't bode well either given theyve the most dangerous forward line we've seen in a long while. Like others, I can see a couple of pastings in the league. Thankfully the win on Sunday should put them in position to stave off relegation while continuing the experiment

greatpoint

Any truth to Horan and McDonald leaping around the place celebrating Mayo's draw on the weekend?