American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

Quote from: Bogball XV on October 17, 2010, 11:58:25 PM
anyone watching that minnesota v dallas game?  Dallas have the ball and are 4 and 5 with 2 mins 40 left in the 4th, they're back on their own 25yd line, then they punt??  I didn't hear any of the commentary explaining the decision, but it seems ridiculous to me - surely they'd have been much better off taking a chance?  How likely are they to get another shot at it really?

They did get another shot at it with 13 seconds left but it wasn't enough. I don't really understand the decision not to go for it on fourth down either. They ran out of time in the end.

Still, a vital win for the Vikings and the cowboys aren't out of it yet. The Bears and Packers also lost today which helps as well.

David McKeown

The problem for Dallas was if they turned it over on downs the Vikings were starting in field goal range and would almost certainly require the cowboys to grab a touchdown to win the game on the last drive. Even if they had got it on fourth down and ended up scoring the vikings would have gotten the ball back with timeouts remaining. Alternatively if they could force the Vikings to go three and out Dallas would have gotten the ball back at around the two minute warning and could have had the last crack at a score.

Glad to see the Vikings get back in the mix in the NFC east which has been surprisingly poor given preseason predictions. The cowboys are in big trouble now in a big hole in a tough division
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Bogball XV

Quote from: David McKeown on October 18, 2010, 09:54:55 AM
The problem for Dallas was if they turned it over on downs the Vikings were starting in field goal range and would almost certainly require the cowboys to grab a touchdown to win the game on the last drive. Even if they had got it on fourth down and ended up scoring the vikings would have gotten the ball back with timeouts remaining. Alternatively if they could force the Vikings to go three and out Dallas would have gotten the ball back at around the two minute warning and could have had the last crack at a score.

Glad to see the Vikings get back in the mix in the NFC east which has been surprisingly poor given preseason predictions. The cowboys are in big trouble now in a big hole in a tough division
I just think that far too many american football coaches are far too conservative, the have a playbook telling them what to do in every situation, when maybe a new approach would gain a bit more success.
The best they could have done was get the ball back with about a 1 min 40 left and no timeouts, more than likely they'd be on their own endline (or whatever it's called in NFL), so they were pretty much beat anyway?

Club Rossa

Dallas don't do themselves any favours with their penalty count,was very costly last night and also cost them dearly against the Redskins in week 1.Can't say i have much sympathy for them though.
Good game between the Redskins and Colts,Skins could have won it on that last play but it was a great interception.

Gabriel_Hurl

the Vikings moved divisions now?

GalwayBayBoy

The NFL is amazingly open this year. There doesn't seem to be any stand out team or couple of teams. You could probably make a decent case for anywhere up to 8 teams being genuine Superbowl contenders. Of course there is still time for someone to go on a run yet and seperate themselves from the pack a little.

BallyhaiseMan

Anyone else think Peyton Manning looks very shaky out there???
I know stats wise hes been very good this year,And at times he looks his usual self.
But he should have 3 interceptions in the first half against the Redskins,and he was piss poor against the Chiefs last week.
Who do you guys think the League MVP offensively and defensively is after 6 games?
Arion Foster (Offense)
Clay Matthews (Defense) for me,the Pack missed him greatly yesterday.

mc_grens

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 18, 2010, 04:22:40 PM
The NFL is amazingly open this year. There doesn't seem to be any stand out team or couple of teams. You could probably make a decent case for anywhere up to 8 teams being genuine Superbowl contenders. Of course there is still time for someone to go on a run yet and seperate themselves from the pack a little.

How bout Six-burgh? They're 4-1 having not had a proper QB for the first 4 games... And their loss was a last 20 second TD pass from Joe Flacco. They're strong in all phases of the game and I can see them kciking on now and ending up 13-3 or so.

As for MVP's

Offense: Antonio Gates has been unbelievable. He is the greatest TE of all time and I believe he'll break Gonzos records.

Defense: Hard to look past Polamalu just becaue of the huge difference his return has made to Pittsburgh.

Carmen Stateside

Got myself two great tickets for tonights Yankee playoff game.  Sitting in section behind Texas bench.  Texas in all fairness should be 2 games up, they lost the first one after giving up a five run lead late in the game while They won Saturday comfortably.

magpie seanie

Quote from: mc_grens on October 18, 2010, 08:33:45 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 18, 2010, 04:22:40 PM

How bout Six-burgh? They're 4-1 having not had a proper QB for the first 4 games... And their loss was a last 20 second TD pass from Joe Flacco. They're strong in all phases of the game and I can see them kciking on now and ending up 13-3 or so.

As for MVP's

Offense: Antonio Gates has been unbelievable. He is the greatest TE of all time and I believe he'll break Gonzos records.

Defense: Hard to look past Polamalu just becaue of the huge difference his return has made to Pittsburgh.

I think Pittsburgh are shaping up ominously alright. Defenses win championships they say. I like the Jets chances too. Think Sanchez has moved up a notch again this year and he has some serious weapons at his disposal with a rejuventated LT and Holmes back from injury.

Carmen Stateside

Yankees stuffed. Cliff Lee pitched eight innings allowing 2 runs and 12 strikouts.  away to bed!

AZOffaly

Puckoon

FFS AZ, I'm on me holidays!!!

Seriously, I just logged onto the board to acknowledge the drop back to 28th in both polls, knowing full well you'd have something to say, but you got here before me!!

Well, the perfect season is gone. Worst first half I've seen in a long time. Did well to claw it back, just not enough. Bye week this week which they could use. Were still optimistic in NV.

David McKeown

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on October 18, 2010, 03:52:07 PM

the Vikings moved divisions now?

Sorry for some reason I had Dallas' division in my head when writing that
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

AZOffaly

Quote from: Puckoon on October 19, 2010, 03:41:41 PM
FFS AZ, I'm on me holidays!!!

Seriously, I just logged onto the board to acknowledge the drop back to 28th in both polls, knowing full well you'd have something to say, but you got here before me!!

Well, the perfect season is gone. Worst first half I've seen in a long time. Did well to claw it back, just not enough. Bye week this week which they could use. Were still optimistic in NV.

I'm only slagging Puck. They're having a great season and might well have a say in the national championship if they can trip Boise up.

Enjoy the holiday...